Fall Practice

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
With Telfort suspended, Tyler Jordon is now the top backup at all 5 OL positions. Is Riles next up? WTF is Harkless, Buchanan, Mike, and the other backups doing? Any concern here? And is Telfort the top OT back up now (when he returns)?

There's a story on Tyler Jordon on SEC Country:

Florida OL Tyler Jordan’s versatility putting him in line for playing time

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/football-tyler-jordan-versatility

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — After Florida announced Sunday that seven players would be suspended for the season opener against Michigan, the focus was primarily around wide receiver Antonio Callaway and how his loss will impact the offense.

However, the loss of freshman Kadeem Telfort puts a strain on a Florida offensive line that was searching for depth outside of its starting lineup. Telfort looked to be one of those players early in fall camp, even earning first-team reps at tackle when Martez Ivey was out with an injury.

His suspension puts a bigger onus on junior Tyler Jordan to step up as the Gators’ top backup offensive lineman.

“Tyler is pretty versatile,” Ivey said. “He can play center, guard, tackle. He’s at tackle this week. He’s big right now with Telly being out. Next guy up.”

Jordan played in 25 games during his first two seasons with Florida and started 10. The 6-foot-4, 309-pound junior played primarily at right guard as a freshman and right tackle as a sophomore. However, he earned spot appearances at center last season before the emergence of T.J. McCoy.

Outside of Jordan, only redshirt juniors Kavarris Harkless (eight games, one start) and Antonio Riles (15 games, four starts but recovering from a torn ACL) have valuable experience among the Gators backups.

“I think one of the things [the suspension] does as coaches is force you into where are those nine guys [on the offensive line] and how do they fit when one or another goes down,” Florida coach Jim McElwain said. “Having Tyler being able to play out there … I think that speaks for him a little bit about his understanding.”

Jordan is a natural interior lineman but showed last year he could make the move out to tackle.

Ivey, who played left tackle throughout his high school career but spent his first two years at Florida primarily at guard, said the main difference between playing inside and outside is how quickly you make contact with the defensive line.

“At guard, there’s more contact and everything happens faster,” Ivey said. “It’s like 1-2 it happens. At tackle, you have to be really patient, you’re not always going to make contact on that first kick-step or that second kick-step – or make contact at all, really. It’s about footwork. It’s playing out there by yourself 1-on-1 and letting your feet do all the work pretty much and being patient.”

Ivey said he watched Jordan handle the transition outside without much trouble.

“He went out there and handled it like a man,” Ivey said.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If Johnson plays like he did last season Jordan should be starting.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just a thought-query: as we get closer to the game, could the QB the press is least allowed to see working with 1s be the one most likely to start ... you know, not showing much for UM to prep for? Of course that would also involve concealing our WRs' quick-cuts and speed, etc. Frankly, I think our reporters should be attending Michigan's practices and reporting.

BTW, be nice to see how some of the "pro"-Michigan reporters are writing about UM's even more unknown players, unknown D, unknown O ??... any "run-over-you" backs.
How does their QB "look-off" DBs... does he have a noodle arm? how's team-timing at this point?
Are the UM coaches bragging on any players? Are they fussing? How many do they have suspended?
You know, Big-10 players don't get the leniency that SEC players get.

Like to see a diagram of Harbough's "booger-out" play. Gator D don't wanna slip on that.

Last edited:

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Are they having another scrimmage Thursday/Friday? If so, we should know who the starter is after that practice. And hopefully will be announced in Mondays presser and start preparing for Meatchicken.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
With Telfort suspended, Tyler Jordon is now the top backup at all 5 OL positions. Is Riles next up? WTF is Harkless, Buchanan, Mike, and the other backups doing? Any concern here? And is Telfort the top OT back up now (when he returns)?

There's a story on Tyler Jordon on SEC Country:

Florida OL Tyler Jordan’s versatility putting him in line for playing time

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/football-tyler-jordan-versatility

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — After Florida announced Sunday that seven players would be suspended for the season opener against Michigan, the focus was primarily around wide receiver Antonio Callaway and how his loss will impact the offense.

However, the loss of freshman Kadeem Telfort puts a strain on a Florida offensive line that was searching for depth outside of its starting lineup. Telfort looked to be one of those players early in fall camp, even earning first-team reps at tackle when Martez Ivey was out with an injury.

His suspension puts a bigger onus on junior Tyler Jordan to step up as the Gators’ top backup offensive lineman.

“Tyler is pretty versatile,” Ivey said. “He can play center, guard, tackle. He’s at tackle this week. He’s big right now with Telly being out. Next guy up.”

Jordan played in 25 games during his first two seasons with Florida and started 10. The 6-foot-4, 309-pound junior played primarily at right guard as a freshman and right tackle as a sophomore. However, he earned spot appearances at center last season before the emergence of T.J. McCoy.

Outside of Jordan, only redshirt juniors Kavarris Harkless (eight games, one start) and Antonio Riles (15 games, four starts but recovering from a torn ACL) have valuable experience among the Gators backups.

“I think one of the things [the suspension] does as coaches is force you into where are those nine guys [on the offensive line] and how do they fit when one or another goes down,” Florida coach Jim McElwain said. “Having Tyler being able to play out there … I think that speaks for him a little bit about his understanding.”

Jordan is a natural interior lineman but showed last year he could make the move out to tackle.

Ivey, who played left tackle throughout his high school career but spent his first two years at Florida primarily at guard, said the main difference between playing inside and outside is how quickly you make contact with the defensive line.

“At guard, there’s more contact and everything happens faster,” Ivey said. “It’s like 1-2 it happens. At tackle, you have to be really patient, you’re not always going to make contact on that first kick-step or that second kick-step – or make contact at all, really. It’s about footwork. It’s playing out there by yourself 1-on-1 and letting your feet do all the work pretty much and being patient.”

Ivey said he watched Jordan handle the transition outside without much trouble.

“He went out there and handled it like a man,” Ivey said.
Sh!t.....this just tells me we have a bunch of lard asses who don't know who to hit when the ball is snapped....we've got to start bringing in 10 D1 los caliber recruits EVERY SINGLE year to make a decent offensive and defensive line....This ain't rocket science.....

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone remember how Fred Johnson looked in the spring game because I remember him being lost at guard a bunch last year. Surprised he is starting over Jordan.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Are they having another scrimmage Thursday/Friday? If so, we should know who the starter is after that practice. And hopefully will be announced in Mondays presser and start preparing for Meatchicken.

I think they already know. They are just not saying. Trying to keep meatchicken guessing.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Del Rio was in sharp command of the offense today. His maturity and poise could be the difference in a win or a loss. If he keeps performing at this level, it will be difficult for the others to unseat him. And yet, Malik and Feleipe are doing great things also...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why is Shannon wearing a sweatshirt in that pic?
I see lots of coaches doing that, even high school or junior high coaches. I suspect it may be to remind them how hot the kids are wearing helmets and pads and encouraging them to water the kids often.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Surprised he is still on the team....sorry, but he is awful and has been here for 3 years now.

I took a peak at the spring game and he mostly went against a 250 pound walk-on D linemen and Campbell a few times in the early part of the game. He wasn't even driving that little walk-on off the ball much when we ran it. At his size he should be bulldogging him 4 yards up the field.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mac should name a "false starter", then at game-time or post-game explain that XYZ may have a bone-cip in his throwing hand. "Lucky our honor-bound team player QB told us, so we didn't play with a compromised QB and could start Franks instead. Purty kewl Feliepe threw for 325 yards on such short notice."

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I took a peak at the spring game and he mostly went against a 250 pound walk-on D linemen and Campbell a few times in the early part of the game. He wasn't even driving that little walk-on off the ball much when we ran it. At his size he should be bulldogging him 4 yards up the field.
Funny, some of our guys don't get the map to the cafeteria and some don't get the map to the weight room......

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Funny, some of our guys don't get the map to the cafeteria and some don't get the map to the weight room......

It gets better - when Fred Johnson was on the goal line inside the one yard line he let that little 250 pound walk-on hold his ground and fall to the ground where he was able to grab Scarlett's ankle and let the other defenders keep him out of the end zone. Imagine that mess in a big game on 3rd or 4th down. The guy is like 6'6" 330 pounds I think.

At least with Jordan you get good fundamentals and some push forward run blocking usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.