Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's not nice
478bd450d44e2de6c832210fd0760de0.jpg

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mac isn't letting anything be known with the practice minutes open to the media. He keeps switching the QBs around for that time period. We need an accurate leak of what is really going on. So far people are claiming LDR is ahead and others saying its Franks.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I think Mac has to name a starter and let him get all the reps with the first team pretty soon. We're less than three weeks away from the opener. It's definitely bad for the chemistry on offense if you're just switching up QBs every single practice. This staff has a problem with choosing starters at QB & RB.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I think Mac has to name a starter and let him get all the reps with the first team pretty soon. We're less than three weeks away from the opener. It's definitely bad for the chemistry on offense if you're just switching up QBs every single practice. This staff has a problem with choosing starters at QB & RB.
I agree, but think that he should not announce the starter until game time. Not sure if he can do that if he's giving one guy the great bulk of the reps in practice.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I agree, but think that he should not announce the starter until game time. Not sure if he can do that if he's giving one guy the great bulk of the reps in practice.
If one guy starts getting most of the first team reps I think somebody would notice or it would get leaked out somehow. I would like it if the team could get behind a guy and let him be the leader. This offense is missing that leadership.
**It cannot be DelRio**

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Glad to see he's catching some of them now. Initially I heard he was having a rough time hanging onto the ball.
lots of talk now that he is doing fairly well. Sounds like he is certainly going to get some playting time this season.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
lots of talk now that he is doing fairly well. Sounds like he is certainly going to get some playting time this season.
Well considering he is one of the fastest football speed guys on the team, I'm surprised he isn't just holding the clip board

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Florida freshman WR gets first-team reps at practice

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...da-freshman-wr-gets-first-team-reps-practice/

With Florida WR Antonio Callaway suspended for the Michigan game, there’s open competition for a starting spot at wide receiver.

Days after sophomore WR Freddie Swain lined up in Callaway’s spot, it was freshman WR Daquon Green getting reps with the starters on Thursday. In February, the signing of Green, a 4-star prospect from Tampa Bay Tech, received less hoopla than fellow 4-star James Robinson’s late addition, but as a June enrollee Green has a a leg up on Robinson, who joined the team after the start of camp in August.

Green, listed at 6-1, 195 pounds, isn’t the fastest, tallest or biggest Gators wide receiver, but he has shown to be a reliable pass-catcher so far in camp. While wide receiver is considered one of Florida’s deepest positions, Callaway is a prime example of a freshman making a significant contribution from the get-go.

As a recruit, Green was rated the No. 33 wide receiver and No. 33 Sunshine State product on the 247Sports Composite.

Follow
Ethan Bauer @ebaueri

Feleipe Franks with the ones today. So is wideout Daquon Green.

3:00 PM - Aug 17, 2017

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Elsewhere around the practice field …

• The next opportunity for insight into the quarterback competition comes Friday as Franks, Malik Zaire, Luke Del Rio and McElwain are all scheduled to meet with the media. In the meantime, here’s video of the quarterbacks from practice Thursday.
  • Freshman Shawn Davis lined up as a first-team safety instead of senior Nick Washington during the fastball period for the third straight time among practices open to reporters. As highlighted earlier in the week, Davis and fellow freshman Marco Wilson look to be in line for significant roles this fall. The secondary Thursday during fastball included Davis and Chauncey Gardner Jr. at safety, Duke Dawson and Joseph Putu at cornerback and Wilson as the nickel.
  • Redshirt freshman defensive back C.J. McWilliams (hamstring) went through stretching by himself off to the side of the field. He was in uniform.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...as-qbs-throw-freshman-wr-gets-first-team-reps

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Feleipe Franks was back with the first-team offense during Florida’s opening 1s vs. 1s “fastball” period Thursday, as the coaches continue to rotate the three competing quarterbacks during that showcase series.

But that wasn’t the biggest takeaway.

Freshman wide receiver Daquon Green was also with the first-teamers during fastball for the first time among sessions that have been open to reporters this camp.

Green lined up as the right outside receiver on the first play and finished the quick series lined up on the other side of the field, as star wideout Antonio Callaway remains suspended.

RELATED: Photo gallery from practice Thursday| Reporter Roundtable: Weighing in on 5 key topics of camp | A closer look at LB Jeremiah Moon

Green, a 4-star recruit out of Tampa Bay Technical High School, had 41 catches for 639 yards and 9 touchdowns as a senior last fall and 26 total touchdowns in four seasons. He was rated the No. 33 overall wide receiver in the 2017 signing class, according to the 247Sports composite.

He’s looked very smooth in individual drills this month, but getting a chance to rep with the first-team offense with reporters present was a strong statement from the coaches about how he is progressing through his first camp with the Gators.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Austin Appleby is spending a bunch of time w/ the team. I wonder if he's going to be hired in a support staff role:

upload_2017-8-17_20-3-29.png

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
From SEC Country (reporter's round table):

Q: Who has been the biggest riser in camp?
McPherson: For me, it has to be freshman defensive back Shawn Davis. Heading into fall camp, I expected him to be in the middle of the pack among the Gators’ six freshmen defensive backs and that he would make his early mark on special teams. Instead, he’s taking first-team reps at safety over redshirt senior Nick Washington and has looked pretty good. He should play early and often this season.

Young: Totally agree. It’s Shawn Davis. I’m not as surprised, though. After spending time in Miami profiling him this offseason, I was struck immediately by his confidence, focus and drive. Those are intangible qualities, but sometimes you just have a sense for a guy. I was then swayed further by the words of one of his high school coaches, who was compelling while discussing Davis’ potential and how he felt he was a future NFL safety. But the freshman has exceeded even my expectations this preseason. I think he plays a major role this fall.

Q: Who is the most under-the-radar key player on the roster?
McPherson: T.J. McCoy. If the offensive line — and a new quarterback, for that matter — is going to be successful, it’s going to start with the center. He came on strong late last season, starting the final four games after Cam Dillard suffered a season-ending knee injury. McCoy’s teammates trust him, too. Not bad for a guy who began last season as the third-string center.

Young: I like that answer. I’m going to go to the other side of the ball, though. As I wrote last weekend, I feel that junior defensive tackle Taven Bryan is the most important player on the defense who is not getting talked about a lot. Caleb Brantley was so key for the Gators last fall, disrupting the middle of the line and setting up teammates for big plays, if not making them himself. Bryan is physically capable of being that kind of presence if he puts it all together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.