Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Yeah, not Quentin's best effort. I will say the cinematography was absolutely flawless on the big screen, but I probably won't even watch it again.

Best part?
This guy

00ee5089fb6abafa0bb47cdce1e52458.jpg

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Best part?
This guy

00ee5089fb6abafa0bb47cdce1e52458.jpg
As a huge fan of The Shield, I love Walton Goggins as an actor, and his performance was great, but the fact that his character went from being someone who absolutely hated blacks to being Samuel L. Jackson's primary ally in a matter of minutes was just too far-fetched for me, even in a Tarantino film. Not to mention the General (Bruce Dern) also being a staunch racist who wouldn't even speak to Sam Jackson all the sudden opening up to him about his son and how he died. Quentin just reached too far and missed the mark for me. Love his work almost 100% of the time, but he tried a little too hard on this one.

I actually really did like a lot about this film, but Quentin just out-Tarantino'd himself.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
As a huge fan of The Shield, I love Walton Goggins as an actor, and his performance was great, but the fact that his character went from being someone who absolutely hated blacks to being Samuel L. Jackson's primary ally in a matter of minutes was just too far-fetched for me, even in a Tarantino film. Not to mention the General (Bruce Dern) also being a staunch racist who wouldn't even speak to Sam Jackson all the sudden opening up to him about his son and how he died. Quentin just reached too far and missed the mark for me. Love his work almost 100% of the time, but he tried a little too hard on this one.

I actually really did like a lot about this film, but Quentin just out-Tarantino'd himself.

Maybe he was approaching it from the angle of people being institutionally racist but not necessarily on an individual basis.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
He looked so familiar and it finally hit us and wifey pointed it out that he was the Tranny in Sons of Anarchy
Never watched SoA
I think he was also in Justified?
He can be somewhat of a psycho dude at times

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He looked so familiar and it finally hit us and wifey pointed it out that he was the Tranny in Sons of Anarchy
Didn't even realize he played a tranny on SOA, that's hilarious. :lol2:

What's even funnier is the name "Venus Van Dam" from SOA is a throwback to an alias Goggins' character in The Shiled used, which was "Cletus Van Damme."

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't even realize he played a tranny on SOA, that's hilarious. 2:

What's even funnier is the name "Venus Van Dam" from SOA is a throwback to an alias Goggins' character in The Shiled used, which was "Cletus Van Damme."
He didn't have a big part but had some very memorable scenes. Played the character great

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Walton Goggins is an extremely talented actor. Unfortunately he doesn't really get too many leading parts.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He was probably my favorite character in justified

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In February, I cut the cord. So the entirety of my TV viewing is streaming via Roku - mostly Netflix, Amazon and HBO. I was able to watch the Lightning in the playoffs on NBC Sports and NHL Network I think it was. (Still gotta figure out how I'm going to get CBS Sports and SEC Network for Gator football). The good news is, I no longer lose hours to mindless channel surfing. I can literally go weeks without even turning the TV on. The bad news is, I have substituted mindless hours channel surfing with a lot of mindless web surfing.

Anyway, I mention this because over the past two weeks, I've really missed mindless channel surfing for the first time. I haven't wanted to get sucked into a new series, so while "surfing" Amazon, I came across the Sopranos and for lack of any better idea, I started that from the beginning. Now, as an Italian, it was required that I not only watch it during its original run, but that I pass regular exams and pop quizzes on it. Which I did. But I'd forgotten how truly excellent that show was - especially the first three seasons. Any of you guys that haven't watched the Sopranos - you're really missing out. Gandolfini was born to play that role. Edie Falco was so good as the conflicted mob wife. It is an incredible show that created today's "anti-heroes", and it hasn't aged a bit.

Last edited:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
In February, I cut the cord. So the entirety of my TV viewing is streaming via Roku - mostly Netflix, Amazon and HBO. I was able to watch the Lightning in the playoffs on NBC Sports and NHL Network I think it was. (Still gotta figure out how I'm going to get CBS Sports and SEC Network for Gator football). The good news is, I no longer lose hours to mindless channel surfing. I can literally go weeks without even turning the TV on. The bad news is, I have substituted mindless hours channel surfing with a lot of mindless web surfing.

Anyway, I mention this because over the past two weeks, I've really missed mindless channel surfing for the first time. I haven't wanted to get sucked into a new series, so while "surfing" Amazon, I came across the Sopranos and for lack of any better idea, I started that from the beginning. Now, as an Italian, it was required that I not only watch it during its original run, but that I pass regular exams and pop quizzes on it. Which I did. But I'd forgotten how truly excellent that show was - especially the first three seasons. Any of you guys that haven't watched the Sopranos - you're really missing out. Gandolfini was born to play that role. Edie Falco was so good as the conflicted mob wife. It is an incredible show that created today's "anti-heroes", and it hasn't aged a bit.

So then I have to ask the obvious question - (and without spoiling it for those that haven't seen it) - what did you think of the series finale?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

HBO has done some great shows. Sopranos, The Wire, Oz and GOT are all awesome. My wife liked Trublood but I kept waiting on the Smurfs to appear around midway through the second season. :lol:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
HBO has done some great shows. Sopranos, The Wire, Oz and GOT are all awesome. My wife liked Trublood but I kept waiting on the Smurfs to appear around midway through the second season. :lol:
You watch The Newsroom yet? Short but sweet series, phenomenally written. Six Feet Under was another fantastic HBO show. And we might as well include Band of Brothers in there.

The Wire reigns supreme as far as HBO shows are concerned, but they've always done great work.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.