Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You watch The Newsroom yet? Short but sweet series, phenomenally written. Six Feet Under was another fantastic HBO show. And we might as well include Band of Brothers in there.

The Wire reigns supreme as far as HBO shows are concerned, but they've always done great work.
Haven't watched Newsroom. Trying to not get hooked on another series.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That would take an eternity these days. With a 2 year old, we watch Shrek, Nemo and the Good Dinosaur...non-stop.
I'm sure your toddler would love learning how crazy the Tea Party is as well as different creative ways Sam Waterson can concoct strings of obscenities. :lol:

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought this thread was for big screen viewing, not small - :dunno:

anyway, back on topic...

went to see Star Trek Beyond this weekend and saw it in IMAX 3D - ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, and the movie wasn't bad either.

I have seen movies in 3D before, but on the regular screen. The last one was a showing of the original Jurassic Park a lil over 3 years ago. either the 3D technology has came a long way in 3 years, or the IMAX 3D is a far superior format.

not to give the movie away, but there is a space station that when they show it and move around at the different angles will almost make you "sea sick" at how real it looks, and feels (from a sensory perspective), as you move around it. there is no way to watch a space film like this w/o the 3D experience, but I recommend if you see this movie to fork over the dough to see it in IMAX 3D. if you get sick to your stomach easily, then I would suggest staying away from this format.

as for the movie, it was good, I liked it a lot. my lady is not a Trek fan and had seen none of the new series (Chris Pine as Kirk) and walked out saying that it was really good, but thought she wouldn't think it was before seeing it.

I, for one, think the reboot appeals to people that the others have, or did, not. If you are not seeing them because they are Trek movies, you should at least watch the first, or this one. The second one (into Darkness) is better if you know some about the original series, especially the Tribbles, and Khan.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watched the Amazing Spider Man 2 over the weekend, it was painfully bad. Just ****ing awful.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The last 3 have all sucked.

I came into it expecting it to be bad, so it was so bad that even after expecting it to be bad it was still one of the worst things I've ever watched. And I have watch 6 different Dolemite films.

Correction: 5 Dolemite movies... he wasn't technically Dolemite in the "Disco Godfather"

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If the new Spider-Man movie with the kid from Civil War is anywhere near as good as the scenes he had in that film, it'll be amazing.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So then I have to ask the obvious question - (and without spoiling it for those that haven't seen it) - what did you think of the series finale?

It surely was an abrupt, stunning ending. I remember being a bit disappointed - that the story hadn't been finished, but from the business perspective thinking it made sense. Regardless of how much Chase and Gandolfini crowed as the series ended, I believe they would have been talked into some kind of sequel - likely a movie. There'd have been far too much money on the table for them to walk away. And lesser HBO series have made the jump to feature films. Sadly, the prospect of a Sopranos movie ended when Gandolfini passed away.

In a sense, Chase was very clever with his series finale. He said it allowed people to draw their own conclusions about Tony's fate, and it added to the show's legend. People still talk about it a decade later. Like we are...:)

What did you think?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
It surely was an abrupt, stunning ending. I remember being a bit disappointed - that the story hadn't been finished, but from the business perspective thinking it made sense. Regardless of how much Chase and Gandolfini crowed as the series ended, I believe they would have been talked into some kind of sequel - likely a movie. There'd have been far too much money on the table for them to walk away. And lesser HBO series have made the jump to feature films. Sadly, the prospect of a Sopranos movie ended when Gandolfini passed away.

In a sense, Chase was very clever with his series finale. He said it allowed people to draw their own conclusions about Tony's fate, and it added to the show's legend. People still talk about it a decade later. Like we are...:)

What did you think?

I looked at it like... if it wasn't in the diner, then it would have been in potentially a hundred other places.
It really was a fitting end in my opinion rather than some dramatic or gory/bloody ending.
How else would you end it?
They were still a 'semi-normal' family so who knows how it would have ended...
Tony had to live in a paranoid state of existence anyway.
Why not just end it at that?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sopranos ending made sense in that he wanted people to draw their own conclusions, but it was definitely a cop out on David Chase's part. You can't end an entire series so open ended. If that had been a season finale, it would have made a lot more sense to have a cliffhanger. But don't end the entire series on one. I tend to believe Tony's dead, but I know they wanted to make a Sopranos movie, so maybe he wasn't? Just silly to me though. Give us some type of closure to the character arc.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Sopranos ending made sense in that he wanted people to draw their own conclusions, but it was definitely a cop out on David Chase's part. You can't end an entire series so open ended. If that had been a season finale, it would have made a lot more sense to have a cliffhanger. But don't end the entire series on one. I tend to believe Tony's dead, but I know they wanted to make a Sopranos movie, so maybe he wasn't? Just silly to me though. Give us some type of closure to the character arc.

And this is why The Wire and Breaking Bad were such great series.
They didn't overstay their welcome and they ended logically or at least with some closure.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

http://observer.com/2015/07/ten-sec...life-affirming-series-finale-of-the-sopranos/

David Chase took it to the extreme and literally left us in the dark, and it was the finest thing he could have done. I never understood why the lingering question is always “Does Tony die?” Because of course he dies, eventually. So does AJ. So does Carmella. So does the man in the member’s only jacket, along with everyone else in that diner. And then the world will go on without them. Tony’s life, whether it lasts another ten seconds or fifty years, will go on until it doesn’t. There just won’t be an audience around to watch anymore.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So...I'm probably the last person in here who has seen The Big Short.
Just finished watching it.

Wow - just f*ckin' wow.
Documentary called the Inside Job is about the same topic, really good too

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saw the new Star Trek and Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates with my 17 YO son tonight. Love those $5 movies.
I can definitely see where Trux was coming from. Even in regular format on a big screen the first time they show the space station, with the camera angles, you can almost feel your self floating off your seat and riding along with the Enterprise. Very cool.
The Weddjng movie was decent. Typical comedy. A lot of scenes are stupid but funny enough that you end up laughing anyway. Several scenes had the whole audience laughing which is a good sign.
Both were definitely worth the $5 I spent on them. I would even say they are worth full price if the mood were right. Star Trek is definitely worth full price.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
I watched the big short yesterday. Pretty good. Batman is a hell of an actor. It's scary what the big banks are capable of.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Saw Ex Machina last night - good little movie. A little slow in parts but worth the rental.

Watched this last night. I'd agree - little slow but worth it. I especially liked when our lead man began doubting his own humanity - I know I started questioning the layers of the plot wondering how deep it went.

Not a great film, but a good rental. It allowed me to pull a few things from the scenes such as my entertaining who was man and who was machine, or who was really in control, or the meaning of the two men having conversations out in nature...all without really beating me in the face with what it wanted me to think about. It let me subtly explore my own interpretations while keeping the storyline fairly thin.

Last edited:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Just finished The Pacific (Hanks/Spielberg)

Holy crap that was excellent.
John Basilone and Chesty Puller are the most bad ass Marines ever to put on the uniform.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Everest. Excellent movie. Wife and I watched recently. Based on true story. Tense, awesome, well cast, thought provoking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.