Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sitting in the theatre watching levies and waiting on the Shallows to start. Typical Tuesday $5.00 after work movie night. I will follow up if worthwhile. I will say ahead of time Blake Lively is HOT!!!

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sitting in the theatre watching levies and waiting on the Shallows to start. Typical Tuesday $5.00 after work movie night. I will follow up if worthwhile. I will say ahead of time Blake Lively is HOT!!!
Lots of good action. A few decent surf scenes. The Shark is Badass! Blake is badder! The way she kills the shark is pretty cool. By the end she isn't looking so Hot but still worth watching. Especially for five bucks!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've watched bolt every evening for the past 2 weeks. It was actually pretty funny the first week. Probably John Travolta's best work.

srivet

Founding Member
Just another fan
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bridge of Spies was awesome. Best movie I have seen in years (aside from the Marvel movies)! Even if you don't like Tom Hanks or you know the Francis Gary Powers story, you'll be amazed and surprised. High recommendation!

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just got done watching Inherent Vice as part of the free HBO preview weekend. Probably one of the weirdest movies I have seen in quite a while. I originally thought it was supposed to be a comedy. But, no, not a comedy. It was quite the head scratcher. It was one of those movies that you want to stop watching because it doesn't make sense but keep watching in hopes that it does at the end. I feel like I just wasted a perfectly good 2 1/2 hours.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
it was supposed to be a comedy. But, no, not a comedy.

This is a running joke for my wife and I as we have often tried to pick a comedy for date night and often found that it was definitely, not a comedy.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Saw Hateful Eight on Friday night, it might be my least favorite Tarantino movie. It is shot beautifully, so in the threater it might have had a better effect. But the dialog and the story were painfully slow.

Last edited:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Long weekend on my own has of course led to less than sober moments and a binging of films:

5 Deadly Venoms (1978) - dubbed kung fu film of a young student who's master is dying and makes a final request of the student to track down the earlier students and ensure none are using their skills for evil. If you liked Kung Fu Theater on the USA channel growing up, this is is a suprisingly good one - primarily based on the construction of the story and how it unfolds. The earlier students each learned a venomous skills set (Toad=indestructable skin, Snake=Great Agility, Centipede=speed of hand and foot, etc). Only 2 of the students ever knew each other and may still be in contact. Last student, charged wtih tracking them, learned all their skills but not as well and therefore cannot overcome any one of them on his own, he must choose one to team up with to defeat any others who may be villains. As a viewer, we get to watch the story unfold and keep guessing who the students may be, and where they fit into the good/bad side of things as everyone is searching for the teacher's old friend who may have a sum of money hidden away. The action is on par with the genre, as is the dialogue, so you know it's not great but you get what you expect. I have to say the storyline alone was very well done, almost to the point of watching again.

5 Elemental Ninjas (1982) - dubbed kung fu film I thought was a sequel. It was not (not a comedy, either). On par dubbing, meh story line, but my gosh it felt like 2 movies. First half was spent watching a Chinese martial arts team get destroyed by some Japanese ninjas that follow 5 elements of style (Gold, Wood, Water, Fire, and Earth). At the midpoint, you feel like you've watched enough and are ready to move on....but the last living member of the Chinese team had a little ninja training himself. He goes back to join his ninja master, teams up with 3 others who were being trained by the ninja master, and the four of them set out to beat the elemental ninjas at their own game. The film seems like it goes on forever, but I will admit the back half does have quite a bit of innovative fight scenes. A lot of the costumes, and some of the fights, are awefully damn hokey, but some of the fight scenes are extremely well choreographed and executed (particularly the fight against Gold and the final boss fight). I wouldn't recommend this film, but if you are really into the genre, you can kill some time with itl.

Slices (2008) - I've seen this before but forgot until about 5 min into it. I see I haven't rated it in this thread, so let me first say "DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!". It has all the redeeming qualities of a mid-80's college assignment - crap writing, crap acting, some attractive women who don't show enough to make it worth watching. Film has 5 stories and a wrap around, but none of it is good. All the imdb reviews echo "it isn't that bad".....I'd have to say "it isn't that good." Again, do NOT waste your time on this one, even if you watch utterly unwatchable horror or kung fu crap like I do. And I watched it twice. I am ashamed, but I'll blame the non-sober part of me.

Slaughterhouse Five (1972) - I've been meaning to watcht his for some time, finally did. In hindsight, I think I've seen it before and forgot. For all the literaryt jabber about Kurt Vonnegut, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I expected 'good' or 'though provoking'. Instead I got "meh" and "what?". The acting was pretty good, the story was odd in that our central character is travelling back and forth over his lifetime, not at his control, and we're along with him as he jumps from one point in time to the next. There are some parallels between periods in his life that are reflected well, but I kept wondering if we're supposed to take him as really travelling thru time or just nuts. Ultimately, I didn't really care too much about him, and certainly not about any of the other characters. I didn't take away any insights or reflective questions. I simply endured to the end and hope to not watch it again. I won't recommend for or against watching, you take your chances.

Hardcore Henry (2015) - shot from FPS perspective, the film offered some good things but still can't be recommended. There are a lot of chase scenes which left me wondering "how'd they do that?" as we see Henry's (our) hands and feet jumping down buildings or through windows...can't fathom how they were able to keep a camera and a live actor's hands/feet in the picture with all this running around. Beginning with the opening credits you know this is all about guns and blood - that and the fast paced sequences never let up. There are a few open character questions that do eventually get wrapped up (his wife, the repeating and varying appearances by "Jimmy" to support him) but the boss is never really fully explained for what he is - that bothered me a bit. Overall, I'll give a nod of respect tot he FPS effort made in shooting the film, and can appreciate some of the humor and nudity layered in, but tbh, the FPS left me nautious in the second half and the boss battle at the end with all the minions was a bit of "I don't care anymore" to watch.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saw Deadpool last week - it was good.....funny.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just saw batman vs superman. Tried really hard to be like the batman trilogy but the story line struggled and Nolan is just way better than Snyder.

Also, Lois is such a huge component of the 2 superman movies and they really chose a mediocre actress in Amy Adams.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Anybody seen Human Centipede? How was it?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Anybody seen Human Centipede? How was it?

Of course! Seen all three in the franchise. First was a refreshing new concept for the horror genre. Decent story, decent acting, realistic "yeah, that could happen" delivery. I'd recommend it. The second, was a weak sequel modeled around a fan of the first trying to replicate and expand on the initial concept.. This can be skipped, unless you really enjoyed the first - however, it isn't nearly as good. The third is utter crap. Only watch if you waste time on really bad movies like I do.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
So...I'm probably the last person in here who has seen The Big Short.
Just finished watching it.

Wow - just f*ckin' wow.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
BvS was pretty terrible, but Affleck wasn't bad as Batman at all. The writing was laughably bad.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
201603_2236_ifhhd_sm.jpg

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BvS was pretty terrible, but Affleck wasn't bad as Batman at all. The writing was laughably bad.

Yep. Affleck was actually pretty good. But too much CGI and a bad story line with bad dialogue. It was like they used Nolan's intern. They tried to copy him but it came up short.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I will say that even though Suicide Squad is in the Man of Steel Universe, it looks absolutely incredible. Excited for Jared Leto's take on Joker, as well.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just watched hateful 8...it was alright and kept me interested to see what was going to finally happen and...well not much. Overall seemed pretty pointless

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just watched hateful 8...it was alright and kept me interested to see what was going to finally happen and...well not much. Overall seemed pretty pointless
Yeah, not Quentin's best effort. I will say the cinematography was absolutely flawless on the big screen, but I probably won't even watch it again.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, not Quentin's best effort. I will say the cinematography was absolutely flawless on the big screen, but I probably won't even watch it again.
Yeah that was good for sure...it was weird because i was liking the movie but was just waiting for something to happen then it just never really did. Sure the end was full of gunfire but nothing really substantial. Liked it but would not watch again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.