Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Double feature (sneak across the hall) again....

First up, Magnificent 7. I wanted a big screen experience, but was shorted a bit. Decent cast, a bit eclectic in backstories for the characters and some didn't feel completely brought in but more or less thrown in. Still, as someone who like the Seven Samurai, and very much liked the subsequent Yul Brynner version, I knew I couldn't expect this to keep up to those past ones. It wasn't a cheap rip off, you get (most of) your money's worth. Just not great, though I'm at a loss on how they could have done much better. Music built upon the old Yul Brynner main theme decently well without deviating too far or staying too close. Denzel did fairly well, Vincent D'Onofrio did his role very well though it was an odd role, and I do generally enjoy Chris Pratt, but beyond that it still felt empty to a large degree. Unfulfilling.

Second round, Ben Affleck as The Accountant. Wasn't sure what to expect in that I don't real care for Ben much since...oh, about forever. But he played the role very well. Plenty of action to keep the pace, and decent character development of Ben so you understand where he's coming from. Major gripe would be the way key characters are shown in flashbacks and their absence isn't explained in the current moment. Granted, those gaps create the twists you see at the end, but you can see them coming pretty easily if you have half a mind and haven't checked out mentally too early on. Again, decent, not great.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Double feature (sneak across the hall) again....

First up, Magnificent 7. I wanted a big screen experience, but was shorted a bit. Decent cast, a bit eclectic in backstories for the characters and some didn't feel completely brought in but more or less thrown in. Still, as someone who like the Seven Samurai, and very much liked the subsequent Yul Brynner version, I knew I couldn't expect this to keep up to those past ones. It wasn't a cheap rip off, you get (most of) your money's worth. Just not great, though I'm at a loss on how they could have done much better. Music built upon the old Yul Brynner main theme decently well without deviating too far or staying too close. Denzel did fairly well, Vincent D'Onofrio did his role very well though it was an odd role, and I do generally enjoy Chris Pratt, but beyond that it still felt empty to a large degree. Unfulfilling.

Second round, Ben Affleck as The Accountant. Wasn't sure what to expect in that I don't real care for Ben much since...oh, about forever. But he played the role very well. Plenty of action to keep the pace, and decent character development of Ben so you understand where he's coming from. Major gripe would be the way key characters are shown in flashbacks and their absence isn't explained in the current moment. Granted, those gaps create the twists you see at the end, but you can see them coming pretty easily if you have half a mind and haven't checked out mentally too early on. Again, decent, not great.
Saw the Accountant this week with my son. I would have to agree with TLB for the most part. However, I found myself chuckling or outright laughing on several occasion. Could have something to do with my ex teaching Autistic children so some of the things Ben did were funny to me.
Tried to get my son to go across the hall the week before after Deepwater Horizon but he balked so I will have to see Magnificent Seven on my own.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Saw Girl on a Train last weekend with my wife (her turn to pick).
I would give it a 3 out of 5. Decent storyline although somewhat predictable. Character development was a little lacking, but that's usually what happens when creating a movie from a novel. From the movie it looks like the book is better.

I would recommend it.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I like Michael Shannon as an actor and I'd recommend three of his recent movies I've seen.

Iceman - On Netflix(or was), about mob hitman Richard Kuklinski(sp?). Great flick.

Take Shelter - About a guy who keeps having these visions of natural disasters, so he decides to dig out a "storm/bomb shelter" in his back yard. Great movie, the ending will absolutely not disappoint.

Midnight Special - Pretty Sci-Fi-ish, but a good movie centered around him and his "son" who the government has discovered has some crazy esp like power, and he's trying to keep his kid away from them.

All pretty good.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watched Star Trek Beyond and Central Intelligence the last two nights.

Star Trek Beyond as decent, not as good as the first in the reboot series or the second. Starts off really slow. But is solid in the end, wished they would have developed the villain more.

Central Intelligence is a dumb, dumb movie. Had a few laughs in it, not horrible but wouldn't go out of my way to see it. The dynamic of Kevin Hart playing the straight man to The Rock was odd. You can tell The Rock is definitely improving on this craft of acting in it. Doubt I would watch it again.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Considering checking out Hacksaw Ridge today. Looking forward to Arrival given its incredible reviews.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Double (sneak across the hall) feature last night.

Dr. Strange
Admitted Marvel fan boy, but didn't have a lot of insight on Dr. Strange as he was never one I really followed. This was an origin story, and it was decent. Acting was good, special effects were very good in terms of reshaping reality (3D was even better with these effects). All in all I'd recommend it. Marvel fans will get what their after, cool powers, decent villains, etc. Non Marvel fans may still appreciate the movie overall, but likely won't seek it out on it's own merits. I'd put it below the Avengers films, as well the independent Iron Man, Cap America, and Thor films.

Jack Reacher - Never Go Back
Looking for an action film and liked the last Jack Reacher that Tom Cruise did, so why not? Keeps him in the lone wolf post-army career character who is doing good for America from out of the spotlight. Movie takes a step forward by bringing him in contact with the 'inside guy', a female Major he has coordinated with in the last film to bring some military bad guys to justice. But, this film adds a bit more depth by introducing a 'relation' for Jack Reacher which goes against his lone wolf approach to life. I like that it wasn't the same old same old, but I also groaned for the last 30 min as it solved the plot, had the man-to-man hero/villain fight, resolved the love interest, tied up the 'relation', and set up for sequels. That bit dragged thru predictability but kept a reasonable pace. Again, not a great movie, and not one to go see in particular, but worth a rent later on.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saw The Infiltrator over the weekend - Editing seemed messed up and if you hadn't read the book, it was a little confusing - again, mainly because of the editing. Not worth the rental, IMO.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Considering checking out Hacksaw Ridge today. Looking forward to Arrival given its incredible reviews.

I was actually surprised that Hacksaw Ridge got really good reviews on RT (86% fresh) - given it's Mel Gibson.
And I read where it's very graphic in it's depiction of the casualties.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I was actually surprised that Hacksaw Ridge got really good reviews on RT (86% fresh) - given it's Mel Gibson.
And I read where it's very graphic in it's depiction of the casualties.
Mel Gibson and graphic violence kind of go hand in hand. :lol:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For my birthday, the wife took me out for Date Night. Man, it's been a long time and would do again.

Saw The Founder. Great movie. Dog eat Dog world.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
For my birthday, the wife took me out for Date Night. Man, it's been a long time and would do again.

Ray Kroc - this does look good. And it got good reviews.

Glad you and the wife got to hang out after a long time.
You didn't forget her name or anything like that did you?
Because that would be awkward.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I want to see that one - the wife doesn't seem interested. I love Keaton and Offerman and the previews looked pretty good.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saw Mag 7 and Free State of Jones last weekend on video. Meh on both accounts. I'd probably put Jones ahead of Mag 7 though.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I want to see that one - the wife doesn't seem interested. I love Keaton and Offerman and the previews looked pretty good.
It was really good. Certainly recommend it. The wife wanted to see it more than I did. Glad she took me.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Little late to seeing this one but what a great movie. Certainly not interested in flying anytime soon.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Saw Patriot's Day yesterday. It was better than I was expecting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.