Final Class Predictions

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Chump is not recruiting well. He has a class of 2/3rds 3*s which is the average class for USC.

Really? - he is on pace to have more blue chippers at SC his first 2 years recruiting than Spurrier did and his name was dirt getting to SC while Spurrier's name was legend in college football. Spurrier didn't start getting those good classes at SC until things got turned around. Muschamp can't coach but he can recruit unlike Mac.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Don't get me wrong, Mac and staff have huge issues with recruiting. I know much of it is they're getting in late on folks. Mac IMO needs to do three things that can turn his recruiting around if he wants to stay around.

1. Get a couple of better recruiters than what we have. Nord, for sure. Sommers gone.
2. Yes assess the urgent needs from a hole to provide depth. Most of this was on the O side.
3. Simultaneously while you're there working on a 4-5*, be hitting on those FR/SO in HS that have that 4-5* potential.

Yes you have to fill the needs NOW, but also you need to lay the foundation for the future as well. Build the relationships and they'll come eventually. It's two fold to me. Mac has issues to deal with from a lack of recruiting the right spots prior to him getting here and effectively filling the needs. He's got to get this figured out.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
From what I've heard and seen, I feel pretty confident right now we finish nationally between 10th and 13th depending on the recruiting service, and 5th and 7th in conference.

Well below our expectations, but not disastrous. There will be enough talent brought in to give the next guy something to work with if Mac can't turn it around, and at the very least we should have a full compliment of scholarship players.

Of concern moving forward, we can not count any of this year's early entries towards last year's class (something that was just brought to my attention -- multiple recruiting analysts have confirmed this). If we take a full 25 in this class, we will be limited to 25 next year which is shaping up to be a very good year for in state recruiting.

I think 6th in the SEC or worse is disastrous especially when you are following 2 years recruiting where you were just as bad or even worse than that. History has shown that you aren't winning the SEC with classes like that and no top classes mixed in there. We now also have the issue of Georgia who has a new coach recruiting lights out now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
, but not disastrous. There will be enough talent brought in to give the next guy something to work with.
One year would be disastrous but three years on top of one of Chimps completely unbalanced classes means we wont even be able to "out athlete" the Kintuckys and Vandys of the world.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
I think 6th in the SEC or worse is disastrous especially when you are following 2 years recruiting where you were just as bad or even worse than that. History has shown that you aren't winning the SEC with classes like that and no top classes mixed in there. We now also have the issue of Georgia who has a new coach recruiting lights out now.
Kirby Smart isn't a "new coach" by any definition from a recruiting perspective. It's a seamless transition to go from recruiting in the SEC as DC to recruiting as a HC. Same kids he's followed and analyzed for years, same relationships with kids and HS coaches, etc.

I'm not making excuses, just pointing out Kirby (and Muschamp) have been in SEC continuously for years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's a seamless transition to go from recruiting in the SEC as DC to recruiting as a HC.
So, you are saying we should have never considered Butters to begin with because (1) he was a known mediocre to poor recruiter and (2) he had no recent contacts in the southeast?

I agree completely.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
You have a pea brain that is incapable accepting two simultaneous truths 1) It was a helluva lot easier to recruit after Spurruer and Meyer. 2) Mac can't recruit. Those are not mutually exclusive concepts. In the future I suggest that you don't attempt to draw conclusions - it's above your pay grade.
Why would it be easy to recruit behind SOS and Meyer? Because the team was successful when they left? Because I remember Meyer leaving the team in shambles to some degree. I also look at the numbers which never lie and they show that recruiting is at an all time low for the last 20 years.

I get you want to root for the coach till the very end but to ignore that he's a terrible recruiter because he hasn't had enough time is completely ignorant.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And yet....

He and UK have higher ranked classes.

:mac:
To be fair the number of commits is why there is a difference. UF has like 15 commits and USC has about 8 more. Each recruit has a point value assigned. So USCjr has a "higher rating" while having less talent just more bodies. Quality vs quantity and all that.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair the number of commits is why there is a difference. UF has like 15 commits and USC has about 8 more. Each recruit has a point value assigned. So USCjr has a "higher rating" while having less talent just more bodies. Quality vs quantity and all that.
Understood, but isn't it equally concerning when we only have 15 commits at this point?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Kirby Smart isn't a "new coach" by any definition from a recruiting perspective. It's a seamless transition to go from recruiting in the SEC as DC to recruiting as a HC. Same kids he's followed and analyzed for years, same relationships with kids and HS coaches, etc.

I'm not making excuses, just pointing out Kirby (and Muschamp) have been in SEC continuously for years.

He is still a new coach to Georgia and I am sure the state locations where most of his recruits at Georgia are coming from differ quite a bit on average from where his recruits at Bama on defense came from. Besides keeping the Georgia blue chippers home unlike Mac with FL recruits Smart is getting blue chippers from places as far away as PA and NY.

Mac was on Bama's staff before but he just isn't too good at recruiting himself it appears. It is crazy a coach at the flagship FL University can't break into the top 5 in SEC recruiting.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I agree the total blue chippers needs to be looked at in addition to filling needs but Mac just isn't cutting it unless he finishes real strong this class.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yes kev. It's much easier to recruit for a team that is coming off of 2 national championships.

Also, kev, you only prove my point. Nowhere have I defended Mac. Are you a liberal? Your grasp of concepts is limited. I'll spell it out as slow as possible. Both of the following can be true at the same time:
1) Mac sucks at recruiting
2) It's easier to recruit after 2 NC's
It's not an either/or equation. Can your tiny little brain grasp that?
Who gives a crap if it's easier? He's paid millions to bring in talent and coach them up. He's not not doing either worth a flip at the moment. Hell, he can't even fill out his staff so he has a full compliment of coaches out on the recruiting trail. Dead man walking.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Yes kev. It's much easier to recruit for a team that is coming off of 2 national championships.

Also, kev, you only prove my point. Nowhere have I defended Mac. Are you a liberal? Your grasp of concepts is limited. I'll spell it out as slow as possible. Both of the following can be true at the same time:
1) Mac sucks at recruiting
2) It's easier to recruit after 2 NC's
It's not an either/or equation. Can your tiny little brain grasp that?
Who says it's easier to recruit after 2 national titles? Muschamps 1st class was not great, his 2nd was though. Meyer didn't come in after 2 national titles hell he didn't even come in after 2 sec championships and he killed it. There is no proof out there that proves you're statement to be true it's only opinion because the coaches that win 2 national titles are elite recruiters before they won the titles.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I'm just going to leave that there and let it fester in its awesomeness.
I know you are because you have no proof. If Saban left right now and Max took over he still wouldn't be able to recruit there because it's the coach who recruits not the school. Mac is proof of this because everyone had always said UF recruits itself but it sure hasn't since Mac took over.

Now what I will admit is its easier for an elite coaches to recruit after they've won 2 national titles, watch this I'll give you proof unlike you giving your point Saban and Meyer there is you're proof. Now show me yours

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We sign 12 recruits and finish 60th...At least that's what it feels like when one reads these threads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator