Foley Headed To Ft. Collins - Jim McElwain to be hired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Gator Fever;n122794 said:
Mullen may get Nebraska or Michigan but no way was Foley going to get him. I am kind of glad he didn't.

Mullen will jump and he knows the time is ripe. Mullen was really bumbed out after the Egg Bowl and went off on his defensive coordinator in his post-game press conference. Where Freeze had loyalty to the state of Mississippi and Ole Miss, Mullen does not have the same kinds of ties to Mississippi State U.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n122800 said:
Mullen will jump and he knows the time is ripe. Mullen was really bumbed out after the Egg Bowl and went off on his defensive coordinator in his post-game press conference. Where Freeze had loyalty to the state of Mississippi and Ole Miss, Mullen does not have the same kinds of ties to Mississippi State U.

He would be smart to - I think both programs take a step back next season for a few years.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
TallyGator;n122787 said:
I think he will do his very best, which is all we can hope for. The bar set by Muschamp is pretty low...which is a plus for whoever the new coach would be. The negative records set by Muschamp should not be in jeopardy...another plus. The Gator Nation should rally around him...we'll know soon enough whether this is going to work out.
Problem is after all the Muschamp failure it's hard to feel that patient. Meyer was 9-3, 5-3 in his first year. That would due. Anything much worse will cause some restlessness. And as far as recruiting, the benefit for JM is he has time to work on this class. Top 20 should be the bare minimum, in fact 20 would kind of suck. All the post SOS hires were able to do better than that in their first year weren't they (too lazy to look up). We're still The Mighty Gators right? Maybe not, but like you say, we'll know soon enough.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Gator Fever;n122805 said:
He would be smart to - I think both programs take a step back next season for a few years.

Not sure about Ole Miss. They need to replace Bo Wallace at quarterback, but the big recruiting class that Freeze hauled in will be juniors. Freeze can recruit lights out.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Born2beagator;n122009 said:
WHO? What makes the coach of Colorado State, a coach with a measly 22-16 record I might add, qualified to take over a job of Florida's caliber? Please be wiki BS

My sentiments too. Gator football isn't what it used to be if this coach is Foley's choice. Foley needs this to work. If it doesn't he needs to go even though he has been a good AD. Football is the bread and butter sport at Florida. It needs to matter. Alot.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Okeechobee Joe;n122800 said:

I'm not so convinced that he leaves actually. The truth is, whether he leaves and gets a better job or stays and leverages MSU for more money(see his counterpart to the north) he really accomplishes much of the same. He guarantees himself a huge payday and gains a level of security that he didn't previously have. I think that's one of the reasons he was down after the game Saturday. He probably cost himself money with that loss.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Gatoravatara;n122784 said:
The other thing is that no schools with coach openings better not get a better coach than this guy. Foley would not look so great.
I was thinking about this earlier. Watch Miles go to Michigan, Jimbo go back to LSU, Ritch go back to FSU and UGA get Chip Kelly or Jim Harbaugh.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n122815 said:
I'm not so convinced that he leaves actually. The truth is, whether he leaves and gets a better job or stays and leverages MSU for more money(see his counterpart to the north) he really accomplishes much of the same. He guarantees himself a huge payday and gains a level of security that he didn't previously have. I think that's one of the reasons he was down after the game Saturday. He probably cost himself money with that loss.

He will make a huge mistake if he stays at Miss St. I doubt that it is his destination program so he needs to find a new job, basically whoever will take him. I recognize that he probably has a large incentive lucrative contract. But first money doesn't make a person love a school. And if he doesn't love the school then he should leave. Despite those incentives being there, the odds of him being able to actually achieve them isn't good. The SEC West is the hardest division in football and it will only get worse with LSU improving next year.Heck he may even have to face a new Gator coach who knows how to run an offense.

In my opinion there just isn't much for him there unless his long term plan is him to stay there till he dies.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gatoravatara;n122789 said:
We did run out of options. This was not Foley's first choice. There is a reason why this dude was begging to come to Florida.

Seriously, it's enough already. You're simple repeating the same untruths and stupidity in every post, none of which carry any factual backing or substance. Just your repeated negativity about something that could very well be great for UF. Implying that anyone was begging for the job is ludicrous and you know it.

No one is asking you to wave pom-poms and sing his praises. But, with all respect, either bring something involving a measure of intelligence to the discussion or please shut up.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
soflagator;n122815 said:

You may be right. But I think Mullen sees the writing on the wall. He put everything he had into the program at State and what he has accomplished there is nothing short of a miracle. But with all of that he got beat by his in-state rival. And I think the tide is turning in that state with Mississippi native Hugh Freeze at the helm in Oxford. Mullen knows his stock may start going down, and if he sees a chance to go to a bigger program like Michigan or Nebraska, I believe he might just take it before it's too late. Mulllen and his wife like it in Starkville. But he doesn't have the loyalty to the school and place that Freeze does. We will have to wait and see.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n122816 said:
I was thinking about this earlier. Watch Miles go to Michigan, Jimbo go back to LSU, Ritch go back to FSU and UGA get Chip Kelly or Jim Harbaugh.

That's a heckuva lot of "thinking".......

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Gator Fever;n122794 said:
Mullen may get Nebraska or Michigan but no way was Foley going to get him. I am kind of glad he didn't.

You mean you would rather have the Colorodo State coach than Dan Mullen? Puzzling to say the least. Not even close. Mullen has built MSU into something good in the SEC west and that is vital. Mullen would not have been a sexy hire but certainly better than what the Gators ended up with and Mullen knows the SEC inside out, can recruit in the south and has 2 rings from Meyer's staff. But Jeremy got his man I guess. We shall see.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n122784 said:
The other thing is that no schools with coach openings better not get a better coach than this guy. Foley would not look so great.

They will both get coordinators

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
GatorTAG;n122816 said:

Miles to Michigan and Jimbo to LSU although unlikely are within the realm of possibility. But I couldn't see Ritcht going back to FSU because who would want to go back to that hell hole even if you did move to Athens.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
GatorTAG;n122816 said:
I was thinking about this earlier. Watch UGA get Chip Kelly.

decent_fellow_princess_bride.gif

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n122818 said:
Seriously, it's enough already. You're simple repeating the same untruths and stupidity in every post, none of which carry any factual backing or substance. Just your repeated negativity about something that could very well be great for UF. Implying that anyone was begging for the job is ludicrous and you know it.

No one is asking you to wave pom-poms and sing his praises. But, with all respect, either bring something involving a measure of intelligence to the discussion or please shut up.

Ahhh heck...for old times sake..."BOOM M' F*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator