Future of Kurt Roper

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think Roper's year here just 100% confirmed what most thought was going on with the offense under Muschamp. Heck in the Bama game you could practically see Muschamp saying to run the ball through his headset.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n125606 said:
I think Roper's year here just 100% confirmed what most thought was going on with the offense under Muschamp. Heck in the Bama game you could practically see Muschamp saying to run the ball through his headset.

Then why didn't we run the ball that much against Bama?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n125605 said:
Someone who runs the offense the way the head coach wants? Yea why would that be an issue?
Roper knows how to call plays, that really isnt a question. Roper was handcuffed with JD and the fact that WM wouldnt let go of JD, then his next guy is a true freshman, so lets not pretend that he had a perfect opportunity thus far. I dont think WM called plays, but you are kidding yourself if you think he didnt actively tell roper how to handle the tempo during games.
So yes, if we are hiring a coach whom we believe is someone who will restore our offense, then I have absolutely no problem with a guy like roper calling the type of offense McElwain wants.

I have a problem with it, did you not see the play selection during the two minutes drill last week. Or the playcalling on passing plays that went against the talent on the feild regardless of who was at QB. People love Roper for some reason, but he hasn't shown us anything outside of when he was running Cutcliffe's offense. And for all we know Cutcliffe set up the play selection and scripted the playcalling. Roper was better than Pease, but lets not pretend that made him look like a great playcaller.

No one is saying it wa the perfect opportunity, but as OC you know what you have. So your job is to put players in the best position to succeed. If Roper's own words is that Mushcamp didn't call plays, and the plays being called didn't put our players in the best position to succeed. That falls on who?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n125609 said:
Then why didn't we run the ball that much against Bama?

We abandoned it after falling well behind. I am talking about before halftime etc when we just sat on the ball.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n125606 said:

So in a game where we had balance 28 passing attemts and 27 rushing attempts... it confirmed he was trying to rush the majority of the time?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel could make chip Kelly look bad. I think roper is a good coach.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n125630 said:
Driskel could make chip Kelly look bad. I think roper is a good coach.

He might be, but what has he hasn't proven it so far. His next job will be very telling.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n125633 said:
He might be, but what has he hasn't proven it so far. His next job will be very telling.

He called the plays at Duke when he was there.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n125628 said:
So in a game where we had balance 28 passing attemts and 27 rushing attempts... it confirmed he was trying to rush the majority of the time?

I was just pointing out Muschamp was literally caught in that game teliing them upstairs to run the ball in spots we could have been trying to do something. But I am sure some of you will claim that is conspiracy theory without an FBI trained person pointing out for sure that is what he was saying into the headset.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If Roper is just a yes man then he might have a chance of sticking around. It is very unusual though for an offensive head coach to come in and not want his guys on that side of the ball. Especially when the old regime had zero success. I like Roper, and think he is a decent coach, but I would rather we just clean house on that side of the ball, and start over. Maybe keep Leak around as an assitant QB coach or G.A.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n125647 said:
He called the plays at Duke when he was there.

According to Steve Spurrier, his son called plays at USCe. Are we truly sure who was running the offense in either case? Who was setting up the script of plays? When push came to shove who was running the offense? Cutcliffe said in the interview what I would expect any coach who wants to take care of his protegy would say regardless of what was really going on.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n125649 said:
I was just pointing out Muschamp was literally caught in that game teliing them upstairs to run the ball in spots we could have been trying to do something. But I am sure some of you will claim that is conspiracy theory without an FBI trained person pointing out for sure that is what he was saying into the headset.

When the passing game if horrible like it was against Alabama and we were showing no real threat of run in the first half. With the few rushes we have were working, wouldn't you want to run the ball more. When you are beating (at the time) a top 5 team in their house, and the last two series took less than a minute off the clock due to poor passing plays, what would you tell your OC you would want more of?

Muschamp does have a power running philosophy, but when you bring examples like this without the context, it looks like you have the tinfoil hat.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n125655 said:
When the passing game if horrible like it was against Alabama and we were showing no real threat of run in the first half. With the few rushes we have were working, wouldn't you want to run the ball more. When you are beating (at the time) a top 5 team in their house, and the last two series took less than a minute off the clock due to poor passing plays, what would you tell your OC you would want more of?

Muschamp does have a power running philosophy, but when you bring examples like this without the context, it looks like you have the tinfoil hat.

Not imo you do like many other coaches do you go for scores and don't play it safe all the time especially without much time in the half - at least take one chance then run a little clock. Muschamp just cant help himself with his DC background and his philosophy I guess.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n125664 said:
Not imo you do like many other coaches do you go for scores and don't play it safe all the time especially without much time in the half - at least take one chance then run a little clock. Muschamp just cant help himself with his DC background and his philosophy I guess.

So with a quarterback who is having a horrible game with the lead. Lets throw some up for grabs balls and see if it works. Would you complain if that one chance as a turn over which game Alabama points? Not as many coaches take that shot as you think. Especially on the road in a hostle environment with a quarterback who is completing less than a 3rd of his passes. Starting the drive at our own 20, with the last four drives ending , interception, punt, fumble, punt, and total of 43 yards gained.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n125718 said:
So with a quarterback who is having a horrible game with the lead. Lets throw some up for grabs balls and see if it works. Would you complain if that one chance as a turn over which game Alabama points? Not as many coaches take that shot as you think. Especially on the road in a hostle environment with a quarterback who is completing less than a 3rd of his passes.

When did we have the lead against Bama?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n125719 said:
When did we have the lead against Bama?

Briefly in the first, I was incorrect on that one... But we were only down 7 at the time, drive started on our own 20 with a quarterback who was completely less than 1/3 of his passes with a fumble and an interception at that point.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n125729 said:
Briefly in the first, I was incorrect on that one... But we were only down 7 at the time, drive started on our own 20 with a quarterback who was completely less than 1/3 of his passes with a fumble and an interception at that point.

:embarrassed:

Thanks for the correction.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
8802Gator;n125652 said:
If Roper is just a yes man then he might have a chance of sticking around. It is very unusual though for an offensive head coach to come in and not want his guys on that side of the ball. Especially when the old regime had zero success. I like Roper, and think he is a decent coach, but I would rather we just clean house on that side of the ball, and start over. Maybe keep Leak around as an assitant QB coach or G.A.

Nothing I read about McElwain suggests he has an overly strong ego that insists on installing HIS (singular) offensive scheme ... he seems flexible and pragmatic. And he has the experience to not need yes-men coaches to bolster his confidence or demonstrate his competence and power.

Coaches like McElwain succeed because they exploit the skills and contributions of players. And of the coaching staff. Think of Mullen under Meyer, he clearly had a significant influence on the offense. Roper should be a real complementary part of the offensive coaching staff because he (or the Cutcliffe system if you insist) had considerable success, despite Duke's inherent disadvantage in nearly every game that their players were not as physically gifted as the opposition. That requires creating favorable match-ups or confusing the defense so they can't react quickly, which are still very useful things to be able to do even when you have top talent players. (Not saying we do, but we should, given the richness of talent available in our primary recruiting areas.)

One thing that Alabama almost always had, and the Cutcliffe system requires, is a smart disciplined QB who makes quick decisions. Obviously that's been a major problem during the Muschamp years.

If McElwain doesn't bring his CSU OC along, then I would not be surprised to see Roper kept on. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave, either. A lot depends on how sympatico McElwain and Roper are, when they meet and talk about philosophies and the team. And what other opportunities Roper may have.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yankeetown said:
8802Gator;n125652 said:

Nothing I read about McElwain suggests he has an overly strong ego that insists on installing HIS (singular) offensive scheme ... he seems flexible and pragmatic. And he has the experience to not need yes-men coaches to bolster his confidence or demonstrate his competence and power.

Coaches like McElwain succeed because they exploit the skills and contributions of players. And of the coaching staff. Think of Mullen under Meyer, he clearly had a significant influence on the offense. Roper should be a real complementary part of the offensive coaching staff because he (or the Cutcliffe system if you insist) had considerable success, despite Duke's inherent disadvantage in nearly every game that their players were not as physically gifted as the opposition. That requires creating favorable match-ups or confusing the defense so they can't react quickly, which are still very useful things to be able to do even when you have top talent players. (Not saying we do, but we should, given the richness of talent available in our primary recruiting areas.)

One thing that Alabama almost always had, and the Cutcliffe system requires, is a smart disciplined QB who makes quick decisions. Obviously that's been a major problem during the Muschamp years.

If McElwain doesn't bring his CSU OC along, then I would not be surprised to see Roper kept on. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave, either. A lot depends on how sympatico McElwain and Roper are, when they meet and talk about philosophies and the team. And what other opportunities Roper may have.

I didnt mean yes man as in he will do anything to appease Mcelwain. I meant it as, will he run his offense the way CJM wants it run. Plus it will be transition enough for the players to learn a new offense much less the offensive coordinator learning one as well. I believe Roper is a good coach, but CJM should bring in someone he has worked with and has chemistry with.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Part me says clean and sterilize (get rid of) just about everything on that side of the ball. Leak has a place as a winning athlete alum, but keeping any infected mindset OC, I don't know. Learning new systems are a bitch, but we've missed having any identity for some half decade now. New system growing pains might evolve into that's how we call play maker numbers for wins. Gonna be an interesting few months... hurray!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.