• Total voters

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
One thing each I appreciate about the 1996 and 2008 Florida offenses:

1. The '96 offense made me feel like 3rd and 20 was still automatic.

2. The '08 offense had Tebow, which made goalline type plays more automatic than ever before or since.
This is true. We sometimes struggled in the redzone w 95-96. I often felt better about getting a sack on first down and having more room.to operate.

One first and goal we really only had the fade or a draw play.

leogator

May 5, 2018
This is true. We sometimes struggled in the redzone w 95-96. I often felt better about getting a sack on first down and having more room.to operate.

One first and goal we really only had the fade or a draw play.
We only ever ran draws anyway under Spurrier (for running plays). He had to go to South Carolina before he ever ran anything else.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed. He ran some others, counters some, but we werent very good at it.

We signed pass blockers first and they were hats high on the draws, so it worked well enough.

First and goal at the five bothered me more than first and ten from the 25 though.

Tebow in the redzone was money, always.

Last edited:

leogator

May 5, 2018
Agreed. He ran some others, counters some, but we werent very good at it.

We signed pass blockers first and they were hats high on the draws, so it worked well enough.

First and goal at the five bothered me more than first and ten from the 25 though.

Tebow in the redzone was money, always.

Yeah, I think he ran a counter once I think in 1993 but that's about it. ;)

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I always remember Wuerffel to Doering on EASY 5 yard slants for TDs. Worked like a charm every time too...

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
My vote went to the 95 Nebraska team. They steamrolled everyone they played and they played multiple top 10 teams that year.

Even though the option has its weaknesses at the NFL level; no one's run it before or since as effectively as that Nebraska team. Combining supremely talented elite athletes and a scheme designed to confuse defenses is the name of the game and they did it better than anyone I've ever seen.

I do think the 96 and 08 Gator teams belong in the conversation as well (I would put both in the top 5). And, to be fair, so does that 08 Oklahoma team. Had DeMarco Murray been healthy, they could have easily been even more difficult for us to handle. He was a dual rushing and receiving threat in a way their other RBs weren't.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
1996 scored LOTS of points and put the teams away in the first half, then played backups and ran out the clock. 2008 scored mostly in the fourth quarter and made close games look worse than they were.

2008 was basically two great players. 1996, the receivers were three deep, the RBs three deep, Erik Kresser set some school records as a backup. The OL was the only one that is questionable. Id say 2008 had a better OL and especially better depth.

It isn't close. At all.
And exciting. All the blitzes! Everything thrown at us. After one stop, game over man.

leogator

May 5, 2018
My vote went to the 95 Nebraska team. They steamrolled everyone they played and they played multiple top 10 teams that year.

Even though the option has its weaknesses at the NFL level; no one's run it before or since as effectively as that Nebraska team. Combining supremely talented elite athletes and a scheme designed to confuse defenses is the name of the game and they did it better than anyone I've ever seen.

I do think the 96 and 08 Gator teams belong in the conversation as well (I would put both in the top 5). And, to be fair, so does that 08 Oklahoma team. Had DeMarco Murray been healthy, they could have easily been even more difficult for us to handle. He was a dual rushing and receiving threat in a way their other RBs weren't.

Yeah but Chris Brown was pretty damn good. Plus Harvin was not 100% for us. I would say maybe 75%.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The spurrier offense run by Danny was the single most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Grossman running the show was quite excellent as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.