Grantham it is...

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
The Choke sign is a good reason to hate the guy... However, now he is on our side. We revel in this kind of fire... Get behind him and enjoy defense with a passion again.. I am liking the hire. Yeah, I hated him before, but respected his ability... He can coach, that is why he is one of the most sought after D coordinators in the country. Mullen is doing great in recruiting and putting together a top notch staff, something we haven't seen since Urban's days. The Energy is back in the big G Baby!!!!

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I can't say I am a fan of this one. I know he did well at MSU, but he didn't do great at UGA. UGA fans I know are laughing and excited right now.

Hope I am wrong... hopefully he makes our D nasty again... and hopefully he can get some mean LBs and DTs here.
Hopefully one of his personal motivations is the destruction of Georgia for how things ended there.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
We have no idea what is in store for us with this new staff. I can say that although I am not thrilled about the hire, its a new day in Gainesville and hopefully we are on our way back up. Everybody has to admit that the feeling is much better than when Mac was here. Lets hope that Mullen and crew are able to pull in a top 5 class and we either keep Corral and all the recruits he has steered in our direction or we pull a 4-5 star duel threat QB or both. I would really like Corral to stick but I am concerned he isnt a fit. I feel better about Grantham than I did about Shannon....

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I like his fire and attitude. The choke sign thing...meh.....in the heat of battle we all can get a little over the top so I no longer hold that against him. I think he will improve our D and find us some DT's and LB's and that's what counts now.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't like the guy... but it is what it is... That's who we got... so I'm pulling for our D to have a big year next year.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I hate that guy.
... until he turns the D around to a top 10 next year. Then it's like, omagod, BFF. (at least for me)

There should have been a stipulation for the hire: Chaz gets a free kick to Granthams gonads.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Yeah, not a huge fan. But he did do a pretty good job at MSU. I guess this falls into the, "Yeah, he's an a$$hole, but he's our a$$hole" category.
He is now. The stats for MSU's total defense and 1st down defense under him really jump out. He needs to replicate those here.

Last edited:

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
... until he turns the D around to a top 10 next year. Then it's like, omagod, BFF. (at least for me)

There should have been a stipulation for the hire: Chaz gets a free kick to Granthams gonads.
Or a free taze, a' la The Hangover.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

Yeah....not sure about a 10th rank with the roster we currently have but I am hoping for improvement and discipline...along with some good recruiting...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm not excited about this hire, but it could be worse.

My issue w/ him is this: why isn't he a head coach by now? Hell, Collins got Temple last year w/ a lesser resume. Point is, unless he's a Bud Foster (Va Tech career DC), he would have been a head coach by now if he was this good (this is his 3rd SEC DC gig...plus NFL DC, and ACC DC).

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah....not sure about a 10th rank with the roster we currently have but I am hoping for improvement and discipline...along with some good recruiting...
Maybe they can get a couple of JCs. I think the secondary will be really good. The LBs and DL need some big bodies.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

My issue w/ him is this: why isn't he a head coach by now? Hell, Collins got Temple last year w/ a lesser resume. Point is, unless he's a Bud Foster (Va Tech career DC), he would have been a head coach by now if he was this good (this is his 3rd SEC DC gig...plus NFL DC, and ACC DC).

Charlie Strong was a DC for 10 years before finally getting an HC job. Brent Venables has been a DC for almost 20 years. The list of quality DCs not getting jobs is long.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Just speculating, but I would guess he doesn't have the personality, prudence and intangibles to be a good head coach. That as a grown ass adult coach he would use that choking sign on an opposing college football player is pretty much testament to that. Doesn't mean he can't be a very good co-ordinator or position coach. They aren't considered to be the face of a program like a head coach is.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

He jumps around a lot. He burns out fast at each stop. UGA was a disaster.

Meh.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of "but"s and "if"s in this thread. That's a lot of confidence and complements. :rolleyes3: Keep talking yourselves into this debacle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator