Grier tells his story (w/ Matt Hayes)

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Not sure what to think. My gut reaction was and still is Grier and family are headcases but in spite of that we let him go awfully easily. Just think if he stayed he could have been starting next week.

You would have hoped that he would have stayed on his own and committed himself to fighting through it. But that is probably not realistic for a kid that has had everything handed to him all his life.

If it is true that Meyer pursued him heavily that is telling. That is probably why Meyer has good teams. He is willing to risk bringing in baggage to get talent. It backfires occasionally but on balance he ends up with a loaded roster. So here you have McElwain was clearly indifferent at best but Meyer wanting to reel him in in spite of his baggage.

I get the feeling McElwain isn't a high intensity guy in recruiting and not willing to blow smoke up people's ass to get them to come here. That sounds great in principle but I suspect ultimately will keep him from
Succeeding at the highest levels.

It boggles my mind you will spend loads of time and effort recruiting high schoolers who have never played a down of college football but are unwilling to expend any effort to steer a talented but mixed kid to stay.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When a QB has it he deserves to be worked with IMO. We haven't had one in so long it was great to see Grier make the tough throws right in stride at critical points. He definitely had some personal issues that needed to be coached out of him, but he was a RS freshman damn it. I would have kept him around and beat it into his head about the face of Florida football and benched his ass if necessary.

Mac threw up his hands and threw the kid away. It may cost him his job. So be it. UF winds up being the ultimate loser if that happens.

Mac is hard to figure out.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah Hardin looked healthy, like he loved some healthy sized fried chicken and double heeseburgers washed down with a case of beer. 30 pounds overweight. Remember the party pad interview with the big-nosed blonde and all the comments about beer and partying? Closer to the truth no doubt.

I will say that Mac never seemed to like Grier's attitude. Gunslingers arent Mac's type of QB.

Grier running the option for Crackumbus? :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
There is no doubt that Grier was in the least naive. But I think he's right about Hee Haw. He kept playing that worthless Treon and did everything he could to keep him in the game. Grier can certainly pass circles around Del Rio who was the second worse player on the field against Mizzoo, Lock was even worse.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
I think if Grier is honest with Mac about what he was in trouble for he would still be here.

Not that I think it would matter, this offense is stone age.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
You have to wonder how the Griers will handle things once Dana is busted for running his coke/ecstasy ring.

dana-holgorsen1.jpg
BwUwLbmCIAE-1-R.jpg

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Silence of the Lambs ... Precious.
And later Monk's boss Stoddlemier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users