Grier vs. Harris....this time, it's personal

CaribGator

Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
There's a chance that Grier could show in practice to be the more polished passer, but the one factor that could swing things in favor of Harris starting is if the offensive line is struggling they might have to have Harris in there as the better scrambler.

Swamp Donkey

7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
CaribGator;n189089 said:
There's a chance that Grier could show in practice to be the more polished passer, but the one factor that could swing things in favor of Harris starting is if the offensive line is struggling they might have to have Harris in there as the better scrambler.
The best way to slow down blitzes and pass rushes is to complete passes forcing them back into cover 3 or 4.

VulcanAlex

Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Law98gator;n189094 said:
The best way to slow down blitzes and pass rushes is to complete passes forcing them back into cover 3 or 4.

Yes and screen passes, draws, etc. are all things in the play book.

That said the best way to deal with it is for your line and backs to punish anybody who tries giving the QB time to complete the pass. In the recent pass we have not been using all the tools, our new coach should.

t-gator

too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Harris struggles with every pass in the book. He's only comfortable throwing it up for grabs or scrambling. He's a what law calls a running back that can throw a little. If grier has a pulse it won't be close

Gator Fever

t-gator;n189124 said:
Harris struggles with every pass in the book. He's only comfortable throwing it up for grabs or scrambling. He's a what law calls a running back that can throw a little. If grier has a pulse it won't be close

lol Are you related to that girl who made those accusations against Harris?

aka

I Deliver
Lifetime Member
t-gator;n188421 said:
They did all they could to hold grier back in the spring game. He played with the freakin walk ons and they barely let him throw. That coaching staff wanted no part of a competent offense.

FIFY

Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member
t-gator;n189124 said:
Harris struggles with every pass in the book. He's only comfortable throwing it up for grabs or scrambling. He's a what law calls a running back that can throw a little.
Except he's not. He is evasive and keeps his eyes downfield looking to pass. That's the way it's supposed to work. He's accurate even though he doesn't have the strongest arm. He's a champion that played at the highest level in HS. But most of all, HE WAS A FRESHMAN!!! As a TRUE FRESHMAN, he played with a great deal of football IQ, especially given the steaming pile of sh#t he was dropped into.

Just as it is hard to run when the defense knows you are going to run on 1st and 2nd, it's hard to throw when the D knows you have to pass on 3rd and long. The backers don't have to read and those gaps between the backers and safeties get very small. He was particularly effective at hitting seam routes, one of the tougher throws. Frankly I don't think Jeff Driskel EVER hit one.

He had to play as a true freshman, who probably didn't even know the entire playbook, because of the ineptitude in front of him. You just don't play freshmen at QB or OL unless you have a disaster on your hands.

We're lucky to have them both Harris and Grier. I don't get the desire to pick one QB or the other BEFORE WE'VE EVEN SEEN THEM PLAY. It's stupid.

Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member
CHAMPIONSHIP.

All American.

Scoreboard.

6_1121118.JPG

Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member
And yet I'm not rooting for or against Grier. If you look back I said I believe Grier will win.

I'm not rooting for or against Grier or Treon.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Law98gator;n189310 said:
However, I'm not rooting for or against anyone.
This is why I hope they don't hurry to make a decision based solely on what happens in spring and even fall practices. I say let it go into the first couple of games. Harris has seen live rounds coming at him in front of 80K-90K people in the stands. Grier looks the part and he may well be our next great one but until it happens in an actual game I'm not sold....

CaribGator

Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
t-gator;n189271 said:
he had the best team around him in America in highschool
So did Tebow when we won the NC, it's a team sport. Swap Driskel for Tebow and do you think we would of won a NC? Would of been lucky to sniff an East title with such a lousy offense.

For coming in the fall, not getting a lot of 1st team reps, being a true freshman, the kid kicked ass and won us some games. Did he have some bad throws, yes, and few bad decisions along the way. but overall when you look at the progress of the offensive players the past 4 years, nobody really showed great improvement. So it shouldn't even be considered that he would come in and dominate and be the All American QB.

As pointed out by other posters, Brantley & Driskel were highly rated players that fizzled, happens to quite a few. Until Grier puts on the Tebowcape and pushes or carries the team to a victory he's just another player with 'potential'. I would love to see Grier (sh*t, Harris for that matter,but it won't happen) become a player that starts getting hyped for a Heisman, that would mean we are doing great and our offense is clicking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.