Harbaugh to Michigan - expected announcement on Tuesday

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The kind of money being paid to college coaches these days is totally insane and beyond all realm of common sense. How long can it go on and how high? How many times are we going to see colleges basically gamble millions and millions of dollars on a guy who they HOPE will win them ENOUGH football games? The reality is that the large majority of colleges will spend those millions betting wrong because the large majority of college coaches end up proving that they were overpaid.

If you use the analogy of the head football coach being the CEO of the football program and Michigan's football program taking in $80 million dollars last year, it means you are paying your CEO ten percent of gross income. If it were a publicly traded company the stockholders would rightfully be in full scale revolt. It would be like the CEO of General Electric making $8 BILLION a year!

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n133805 said:
No doubt. But if you know who you need, you go out and get them. I think Harbaugh can lead Michigan back. Michigan's biggest problem is a declining population which leads to a declining recruiting pool. But if there's anybody that can overcome that, it's him. He did it at Stanford for Pete's sake.
Hell if thats the case, Obumble would be better off to gin up some stimulus money and hire him to be mayor of Detroit.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n133965 said:
They can't get Mullen
Anyone could get Mullen. He's so ready to get out of that shiiiithole he can taste it and he just had his once in a decade slightly better than mediocre season and his only SEC winning record. It's now or never. I'm not sure Pitt can't pull him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n133970 said:
This should really be a "fellate o fish" sandwhich
Seems like we just had a skank crotch thread.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n133970 said:
This should really be a "fellate o fish" sandwhich

tumblr_inline_naoe8fSwKm1qzfftt.jpg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
divits;n133980 said:
The kind of money being paid to college coaches these days is totally insane and beyond all realm of common sense. How long can it go on and how high? How many times are we going to see colleges basically gamble millions and millions of dollars on a guy who they HOPE will win them ENOUGH football games? The reality is that the large majority of colleges will spend those millions betting wrong because the large majority of college coaches end up proving that they were overpaid.

If you use the analogy of the head football coach being the CEO of the football program and Michigan's football program taking in $80 million dollars last year, it means you are paying your CEO ten percent of gross income. If it were a publicly traded company the stockholders would rightfully be in full scale revolt. It would be like the CEO of General Electric making $8 BILLION a year!

In addition to the head coaches salaries the assistants are getting ridiculous money. I'm not sure what UF paid Stoops (under Spurrier) or what Charlie Strong got (under Meyer). But I remember when Bobby's son (Jeff) got fired and they brought in Jimbo. Jeff Bowden was making $160K as the OC at FSU. They are now paying their DC over $800K. It's unbelievable. Most position coaches in the early 2000's were making right at $100K at major schools. Now they're getting $250-$500K, or more!

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This does not look like a power move by Michigan. It looks desperate. Even if they got him he would not be there long term. Money never keeps coaches there long term because there will be other options.

Michigan needs to find someone who wants to be in Michigan and hope they can coach.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty crazy offer considering they penny pinched worse than any big name team the past few years. I don't see him going if he gets a decent NFL offer with a little control.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;134154 said:
Pretty crazy offer considering they penny pinched worse than any big name team the past few years. I don't see him going if he gets a decent NFL offer with a little control.

I guess they were saving up for Harbaugh.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n134093 said:
I hope Michigan fails in getting him.

Supposedly boosters are calling him personally and begging him to come coach Mich. I want to say that program has completely fallen off the map, but they've been irrelevant for the last 17 years. A joke of a team in a joke of a conference

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ReelGatorDoc;n134463 said:
I don't think Harbaugh wants to face Meyer every year

Of all the reasons there could be for Harbaugh to not take the Michigan job, this one has to be near the bottom of the list or not even on the list.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n134467 said:
Of all the reasons there could be for Harbaugh to not take the Michigan job, this one has to be near the bottom of the list or not even on the list.

agree, put me on the record as one who thinks that harbaugh would be the best college coach in the country if he came back... and yes, i havent forgotten about saban

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@FootballScoop: Bruce Feldman says it’s more likely Harbaugh remains in the league…Bruce then says Mullen might be next guy up for Michigan

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator