Harbaugh to Michigan - expected announcement on Tuesday

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Too many of you are just stargazers. You see the popular name and think we should pay them $10 zillion and we automatically rule the universe. It's about timing, fit and sound financial decisions. I think JM meets those criteria as well as anyone out there.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n138230 said:
If Harbaugh gets UM consistently in the playoffs would paying him $8MM be considered a good financial decision? I have never heard one Bamma fan complain about how much Saban is making. I dont see any UM fan complaining about Harbaugh's salary. They are ecstatic to have him. In the real world, top performers are given top dollars. Sometimes top performers are busts, but most of the time they arent.

What does this have to do with us? What UF alum with a solid coaching resume was out there for us to hire?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Shopping at Big Lots looking for bargains.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n138110 said:
Either the best or worst hire in the schools history. What if his stop at San Fran proved he couldn't handle high pressure jobs? Nobody expected anything from Stanford, but they will at Michigan. If the earlier numbers are true and he fails miserably, can you imagine them having to pay $30 or so for his buyout? I too will believe it when I see it, but that would be the most brilliant train wreck.

I don't think the pressure of Meatchicken is even close to the pressure of the 49ers job.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fun N' Stun;n138123 said:
That would be pretty crazy and I'd give Meyer major credit if that happens.....won't happen though. I expect a blowout. Think 2009 SEC title game....except Bama is more loaded now than back in 09 and Meyer has traded his loaded roster full of Florida kids for a inferior roster of Ohio kids.

Has a Meyer team ever been blown out? I think Bama wins because Meyer lost his QB for the year. But I don't see a blowout.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n138130 said:
I'd take Harbaugh for three times the money over Miles.

This is a big deal, very Sabanesque. It also, I think, shows something about our program's inability to bring a big name while others can.

This is a huge coup for Meatchicken. We would've dropped 8 mil for Harbaugh if we could. Worth every penny. They'll be on top of the Big 10 in a year.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n138260 said:
I wasnt talking specifically about getting Harbaugh. But if there was a Harbaugh-like Gator alumn, we still would not pay him. That was more my point. 812, what is the most that we have paid a HC coach at Florida? 3.5MM? Is that what the market salary is for a top coach nowadays?

YOU keep bringing up Stoops, Harbaugh, Kelly, et al. These guys are non issues. There has to be interest on both parts. As far as the money goes, we paid as much for McElwain as needed. Where was the swing and miss? With Freeze, it never came down to $$.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This does kinda make Foley look bad. Michigan is willing to break the bank to get back to the top. We should have been more aggressive with freeze imo.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n138272 said:
This does kinda make Foley look bad. Michigan is willing to break the bank to get back to the top. We should have been more aggressive with freeze imo.

Freeze is certainly not in the class of coach as Harbaugh and is also not a UF alum.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ufgator812;n138267 said:
YOU keep bringing up Stoops, Harbaugh, Kelly, et al. These guys are non issues. There has to be interest on both parts. As far as the money goes, we paid as much for McElwain as needed. Where was the swing and miss? With Freeze, it never came down to $$.

Multiple reports throughout the season, as OM began their run, stated that Freeze loved his set up in Mississippi and had no desire to leave. As a native of the state, it was his dream job. Agree or not, that carries a lot of weight.

I do know that Stoops had some interest in us, but who knows what type of price tag he'd attached to himself. Not to mention he's had numerous chances to get back to elite status in recent years and has failed to do it. I don't think throwing a blank check to Stoops--at this point in his career--is the same play as Mich throwing 8 mill at one of their own, who just a few years ago was killing at Stanford.

As much as I would've loved seeing Stoops at UF, I'm also willing to admit that he could very well have similar, bridesmaid results here, and have us all complaining again in a few years about how he's lost his edge. There's nothing about him that is devoid of risk. JM could just as easily prove to be a better overall move.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n138274 said:
Freeze is certainly not in the class of coach as Harbaugh and is also not a UF alum.

freeze has a simular record at ole miss as harbaugh did at Stanford except he was in a tougher conference. it would have been a quick turn around with freeze .

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n138280 said:
This is not what I hear about the Freeze situation. Our fundamental problem with Florida football is our unwillingness to pay a premium for success. Michigan is paying a premium. Our program is one of the highest grossing programs. Why cant we break the bank? It is because of Foley's value shopping philosophy. Ox posted pictures of our HC office vs OK's. Its embarassing. We can afford better.

You've heard wrong. Again, Michigan hired an alumnus. We did not have the same opportunity. Would it have made you feel better if we had paid 6 to 8 million for McElwain? Who is/was better than McElwain that we could have hired?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.