Has LDR hit his ceiling?

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously. Sometimes I do think I'm way to hard on this team but I also think they're doing it with smoke and mirrors. I hope Luke proves me wrong.
I'm with you. We still haven't beat a ranked team. When that happens I will have more confidence. I'm certainly not a Luke fan.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The offense painful but not totally ineffective. Besides the the first floater, LDR didn't make any critical errors on Saturday. The offense garnered 20 first downs and held the ball for 37 minutes vs 22 minutes for UGA. This allowed for an incredible field position advantage.

It was a Muschump masterpiece. We won safely. Not what we thought Mac was bringing to UF.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Shane Matthews was a largely forgotten QB after the '89 gambling charge. He was a skinny kid with no arm and even slower afoot, but he was open to whatever it took to succeed.

The very next season, Spurrier took over and Matthews lit up the SEC.

It can happen. With the right people.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Shane Matthews was a largely forgotten QB after the '89 gambling charge. He was a skinny kid with no arm and even slower afoot, but he was open to whatever it took to succeed.

The very next season, Spurrier took over and Matthews lit up the SEC.

It can happen. With the right people.
Yes, according to Shane, he was fifth on the depth chart. However, he has a much better arm than Luke AND Spurrier was willing to give him a shot. Mac seems to by particularly myopic about Luke and nobody has been given any opportunity besides Appleby and that was forced.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, according to Shane, he was fifth on the depth chart. However, he has a much better arm than Luke AND Spurrier was willing to give him a shot. Mac seems to by particularly myopic about Luke and nobody has been given any opportunity besides Appleby and that was forced.
Did SOS say it was Luke's to lose before being crowned?

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
If.....I know...if a bullfrog had wings he wouldn't bump his @$$ every time he jumps... However, if he can complete 60% of his passes and throw 1 or less INTs with 1(+) TDs per game, we will win the East and We will give Bama their toughest game of the year. Yes I know I am a :pumper:Pumper, but you go with what gets you there and he is getting us there

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
If.....I know...if a bullfrog had wings he wouldn't bump his @$$ every time he jumps... However, if he can complete 60% of his passes and throw 1 or less INTs with 1(+) TDs per game, we will win the East and We will give Bama their toughest game of the year. Yes I know I am a :pumper:Pumper, but you go with what gets you there and he is getting us there
I certainly hope it works out exactly like that. I would be ecstatic and I'm not too old to eat crow.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Good article in the :pumper: today about LDR taking his linemen out to eat on Thurs nites.........I dont know if he has reached his potential but I know a team can learn to grow together and establish chemistry that can make them much better.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Del Rio is a good kid, a bright guy with a high football IQ, committed, respected by his teammates, all that, but he's capped by DNA. It's fact.

I sure as heck hope the coaching staff is grooming Trask and Franks to start taking snaps next season. At the risk of sounding like an entitled little brat, we are Florida. We expect better at the quarterback position.

Now go make it happen, coaches.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Shane was a forgotten Freshman when Spurrier took over (5th or 6th on the depth chart), (also a gambling charge?), Kerwin Bell was like 8th on the depth chart as a preferred walk on. Matthews was able to pick up Spurrier's offense quickly, and I believe injuries during camp played a role similar to how Bell got the starting job initially, but I might be incorrect on the injuries.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Good article in the :pumper: today about LDR taking his linemen out to eat on Thurs nites.........I dont know if he has reached his potential but I know a team can learn to grow together and establish chemistry that can make them much better.
Brantley did the same thing....maybe they didn't like what he fed them.....
Actually our offensive line has done a pretty decent job as far as protection goes. Most of the pressure I see comes off that stupid naked look where Luke rolls to the right and that's not on the offensive line.....Can anyone tell me why Nuss calls that play 10-12 times a game when it hasn't worked since the 2nd week of the season?

Sep 29, 2015
Most of the pressure I see comes off that stupid naked look where Luke rolls to the right and that's not on the offensive line.....Can anyone tell me why Nuss calls that play 10-12 times a game when it hasn't worked since the 2nd week of the season?

That never seems to work. On one of the attempts against the puppies LDR rolled right like always and Perine went left to the flat. It was a tight camera shot so I couldn't see what was in front of Perine, but my guess is mostly grass. LDR never thought to throw it back to Perine, continued to roll right and I believe ended in an incompletion, as usual.

Maybe they are running to setup the throwback in a critical situation? Maybe to cut the field in half for Del Rio? It rarely if ever works, so I also have no idea why they continue to go back to it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
. Most of the pressure I see comes off that stupid naked look where Luke rolls to the right and that's not on the offensive line.....Can anyone tell me why Nuss calls that play 10-12 times a game when it hasn't worked since the 2nd week of the season?
When we first saw it it was a quick pass to a TE or RB,...........now it is just a clstrfk................I think LDR is much better than JB

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
That never seems to work. On one of the attempts against the puppies LDR rolled right like always and Perine went left to the flat. It was a tight camera shot so I couldn't see what was in front of Perine, but my guess is mostly grass. LDR never thought to throw it back to Perine, continued to roll right and I believe ended in an incompletion, as usual.

Maybe they are running to setup the throwback in a critical situation? Maybe to cut the field in half for Del Rio? It rarely if ever works, so I also have no idea why they continue to go back to it.
Yeah it's been scouted to death. The DE/OLB is usually in LDR's face by the time he turns to look downfield causing him to start going backward. If we started to use some misdirection in our running game it would at least hold the DE/OLB on that side until LDR could turn and look downfield.....I have not seen a single mis direction play all season though.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

All of the above? I think they are cutting the field in half to simplify the progression. Maybe there is a bit of cunning to set up a throwback later in the season, but the idea of 'cunning' has long ago left my view of this offense and the play calling. Another factor may be LDR himself, as if he drifts right by habit as opposed to play design on some of these? I saw that happen in the UGA game - not design, but rolling right to buy time. I guess that is avoiding throwing across his body if he were to roll left?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Can anyone tell me why Nuss calls that play 10-12 times a game when it hasn't worked since the 2nd week of the season?
Because Nusschamp.

Did you guys even bother watching any of his shyt offenses before he came here? This isn't new.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
It's true that he got better after floating the one into coverage, but the issue to me is that he is doing it every game. He ssems to look more in control the few times we go tempo, until a dumb penalty or replay stalls it. Hoping the knee has a lot to do with it, but for his longevity he needs to make quick reads and a decisive throw before he gets squashed. If the knee wasn't bad some runs would help in the flat, but not an option now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator