Has LDR hit his ceiling?

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Luke has reached his peak. He is a noodle arm that can throw 50 yards. That means he would have to get rid of the ball as fast as Brady anytime he wants to go deep. Forget that loser Appleby. Throw Trask in there. Of course, he's not going to do that. My fear is the Butters is so enamored with Luke that we'll have to watch him for two more years. He's certainly not going pro. Even Jack wouldn't draft him.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I was thinking a poor man's Brindise. He's an extremely limited QB. If you're going to have a weak arm, you have to be able to see the field remarkably well, like Weurffel. He can't do that.
Weurffell could throw 60 yds. Luke, 50, maybe 55 on a good day with a tail wind.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
How long before a low-ceiling QB brings that ceiling crashing down ? Why doesn't an HC flirting with
job-jeopardy intensely train Franks & Trask as utilizable in these games ? -- surely they can be trained
to effectively run enough plays for a drive. That way we get some experience for our backed-up future ?
We need a QB who can fire it and can be a quick, strong run-buster. LDR is anemic at both = anemic.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
55297415.jpg

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hitting the ceiling would mean that he would have to hit something. So...it's no.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Grier is gone. SOS is gone(as coach anyway). The horse is still dead.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
His ceiling is about as high as the ceiling in a crawl space.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
For whatever reason , I think hes pressing. He's trying to force way too many throws deep. Throwing deep across his body with 2 safteys deep, is something a guy thats been around football as much as he has knows not to do. I thinks its mental. What other explanation is there for him missing goolsby on that 3rd and short? On the majority of his throws he's late. I don't think it's lack of physical ability. I think he's got to settle down.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think teams have figured out how to defend LDR. They know he isn't going to thread any needle and make a key throw over the middle of the field. They will take away the outside stuff and make him dink and dunk or take a chance down the middle for a possible INT. They are aware he doesn't have the arm strength to make the needed throws.

It also seems like he isn't going through his reads anymore... he is focusing more on one guy and I'm not sure why he is doing that.

The good news is we are 5-1 and if he can become an average QB then it will help open up the run game and with our D we can still make it to Atlanta.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I was a really good baseball player when I was young, and I absolutely lived and breathed baseball. Every minute of every day, it's all I did. I ruined the fence between our house and the neighbor by putting up a strike zone and throwing thousands of pitches. Studied everything I could find. Allstars every year, made varsity my first year of high school, and while I didn't play much that first year, we ended up 4th in the state - I was around good players. My Jr. and Sr. year were my time, and while I was the ace of the staff, and I knew more about what to do than anyone on the field, my ABILITY had peaked. Fastball wasn't quite fast enough, curve didn't quite curve enough, and while I was "good", I was never going to be great, and the same players I dominated for years were becoming tougher and tougher outs.

I bet LDR is the smartest guy on the field. He's been around football and great players all of his life. I imagine he has an influence in the locker room that commands attention (I heard the comments from his fellow players after Vandy being glad he would be back). He is a classic overachiever, but the talent and speed of SEC football has overtaken his ABILITIES. He's not processing the field in front of him fast enough. His arm isn't quite strong enough. His accuracy - not quite good enough.

All that said - he's the right guy to have in there today. As ugly as it's been, we are on the edge of taking a 2nd SECe in a row, and he gives us the best chance to win. You play the kids when you don't have anything to really play for but the future, and we have a legitimate shot to be playing Alaabbllamma for a shot at the playoffs. Process that.

My senior year, I threw a one-hit shutout against our cross-town rival. Everything was working...hell, even the knuckleball. Nine times out of ten that team beats us, but that one night everything just clicked. Who knows what happens in ATL. Let's get there first.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's time for McCrew to raise LDR via sharp use of Callaway & Cleveland, Lewis & Goolsby ...
interspersed with a dose of Powell. Time to put opposing DBs' heads on a swivel.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
One day, LDR will have a good career in the coaching ranks.

In the meantime, we need someone to come along and lap him at the QB position damn quick.

He was supposed to be a game manager and he is not consistent enough at it. Yeah, he's only started five games but he's been around football all his life, he's been in the college football environment for what, three years before this, and he's been around Nuss's system for two already. We have every right to expect more from him in this department than someone else starting out.

Here's hoping Franks "gets it" during the offseason and shows potential as a game breaker and not just a game manager. Tall order though. He's gonna have to win over a coach who has a proven affinity for QBs like LDR.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
He is a soph who has played five games, two hurt. I'm not sure that I wouldn't be playing AA right now instead, but it's far too early to think he won't get better.

It is true however that the University of Florida should never be in a position to play guys who need this much work but that isn't Mac's fault. The previous Douchebag landed 34 DBs and 2 QBs in four years.
He's pressing and That knee seems to be really bothering him. Dude is doing everything he can to help us be successful though so I'll continue to hope for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.