Has LDR hit his ceiling?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He's pressing and That knee seems to be really bothering him. Dude is doing everything he can to help us be successful though so I'll continue to hope for the best.
I agree 100%. There's no sense in going anywhere else at this point. We've seen the next in line and it wasn't even as good as LDR. Watching him throw again it's pretty clear he's not able to step into his throws at 100%. I'm not saying he's the best going forward after this season but for now he'll have to do.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
He doesn't see the feel well because he is barely 6'1" and that might be pushing it. My 11y.o son has a stronger arm which is why he didn't throw that pass to Goolsby, he wasn't confident he could even get it there because he couldn't set his feet in time. AA, for his faults has arm strength, mobility and height and he did a respectable job at UT. Play calling and piss poor DB play isn't on him.
I get that it's hard to make an argument on change QB's when we are in charge of the division and only have one loss, but at some point we are going to have to have a passing game to win a big game, probably LSU and FSU. I don't see LDR pulling that off.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some Gator fans once complained about Danny and Tim not being "good" enough.....

Somethings never change..

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Some Gator fans once complained about Danny and Tim not being "good" enough.....

Not the same whatsoever and with Danny and Dean you had two guys putting up pinball numbers before that was settled for good.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

Link? Didn't have message boards to speak of back in Danny's time, but I don't recall anyone saying Tebow wasn't "good enough". He won the freaking Heisman in his first year as a starter and didn't even look human while doing it.

No reason to make up stuff to make your point.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I just wanted to personally congratulate you on one of the worst posts I've ever read.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As a fan, I can look past LDR's deficiencies as long as he remains undefeated, but it's also obvious that knee is holding him back physically and mentally.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
LDR is slow to mentally process what is going on after the snap. He seems to be reacting only with no prior plan, except for the primary receiver who will get the throw even if double/triple covered. He can't think on his feet. Look at other teams with good QBs that make something out of nothing by checking down or taking off and running if the field opens. LDR just can't process that in the short time allowed in the pocket. His long balls are always short because his arm is too weak. Most shorter throws are behind the receiver. He's gets baited by D backs that are reading his eyes.

He's a good kid, but will never be a great QB. Good thing for him, he and Hee Haw have a lot in common. Mac is also slow to process and will go with LDR for every remaining snap this year because he just doesn't like changes, even if it means losing.
i kind of agree on the MAC doesn't like change thing because last year when grier went down he kept using treon in the pro set which is understandable because he wanted to implement his offense. But it was apparant treon was not fit for that style. So my question is why not say eff it and put Jacob Guy in there at least he's 6'5 and looks the part of a pro style QB. If treon wasn't working at least switch it up and take a chance with Guy we had nothing to lose.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
three blatant holding calls and not one gets called. seems the refs are as biased as the commentators.

This was driving me nuts. I'd watch our players get held, and after the play went by they were begging the ref's to acknowledge the foul and got nothing. Not that they were whining, but the arms out 'Cmon, man?' And the ref's got blind or whatever. I get that holding could be called on nearly every play, but I don't recall seeing our guys doing it as much (cannot admit or deny bias, simply didn't see it), but it was blatant several times against their OL with no calls.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I hope his sack hasn't dropped yet so he will get some arm strength.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Bench LDR and go to what? Our depth isn't as bad as last year with TH, but it still isn't quality depth where you can afford to bench LDR just het. He's not awesome, or perhaps even 'good', but he is still better than our depth.

He is a soph who has played five games, two hurt. I'm not sure that I wouldn't be playing AA right now instead, but it's far too early to think he won't get better.

Agreed, except I am sure I wouldn't be playing AA right now. It's not like LDR's mistakes are because he's lazy or needs the motivation of losing the starter's role. He's doing his best, and benching him won't help him. Putting AA or the freshman out there won't help us.

I felt like he was making decisions sooner before his injury. Since he came back, he's still making bad decisions but now taking longer to do it. He also doesn't seem to be as confident. Previously he would rocket in those bad passes, at least making it harder for the D to pick them.

Agreed. He had more 'game' before and was praised for the variety of throws (maybe not deep, but lasers vs touch passes) he could make based on the need, as opposed to AA who cannoned everything regardless of the distance.

I'd agree, the processing and decision making seems worse than earlier in the season. I read where the play calls essentially limit the processing to half the field based on safety positioning pre-snap. Then you're left with only 2-3 options to process at most, and they are all right in front of you at different depths downfield. Unless the routes are changing deeper into the season, or WRs/TEs are running them wrong, he really should be speeding up - not slowing down. He's getting better protection that the early part of the season, which also leads to confidence and speeding up - not slowing down. I get that he has the knee making him worried, but how many hits is he taking? And are the hits due to slow processing vs OL breakdowns? I think he is worried about the knee, but he should be doing better, not worse.

I absolutely believe he has hit his ceiling. It's working so far, but will cost us at some point. I don't believe anything will change for the remainder of the season (other than the level of competition). We could hope the play designs and/or calling would adjust to accommodate this and make the best use of the best QB we have.....but I'm buying a ticket for the "Nuss ain't it" train (not on board yet, but I feel that's where things are going).

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
i kind of agree on the MAC doesn't like change thing because last year when grier went down he kept using treon in the pro set which is understandable because he wanted to implement his offense. But it was apparant treon was not fit for that style. So my question is why not say eff it and put Jacob Guy in there at least he's 6'5 and looks the part of a pro style QB. If treon wasn't working at least switch it up and take a chance with Guy we had nothing to lose.

Agree Mac wants to run his system, even if current talent can't execute effectively. However, I don't think they could switch TH to clipboard and bring in Guy because TH (bless his soul) couldn't hold Guy's jockstrap, much less his clipboard.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just wanted to personally congratulate you on one of the worst posts I've ever read.

That's really hard to believe....

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Link? Didn't have message boards to speak of back in Danny's time, but I don't recall anyone saying Tebow wasn't "good enough". He won the freaking Heisman in his first year as a starter and didn't even look human while doing it.

I'm not making any point other than people did complain about Danny and Tim early on. I don't archive post like some (because I really don't care) but I clearly remember pissing contest on gsmb about the merits of our greatest QB's.... Shoot, I remember people bitching about Spurriers' lack of arm strength and that was way before the internet...

It's just human nature to find fault and no one is immune from criticism.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

No true. When Tebow was a freshman my brother said he was not going to be the answer at QB for us following Leak, because of his throwing motion. Tebow proved him wrong, but he said it. ;)
Then he said Tebow would never be successful in the pros - he got that one right.
People say things - sometimes they're right, sometimes they're not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.