Here's part of the problem with the offense

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yesterday we attempted 26 passes, 11 were at or behind the line of scrimmage, 10 were 1-10 yards, and 3 were 11 yards or more. We've got to throw the ball down the field more than 3 times. This is why teams are stacking the box when all we do is throw the ball in front of them.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep it seemed the vast majority were thrown 5 yards or less down the field through the air. That won't work against a good defense. Reminded me of that crap under Muschamp.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
They don't trust the QB and I get it but if we are ever going to develop one to run this offense over the next few years then he has got to take his lumps and that means making some mistakes. If he can't correct them and keeps making them then that's another issue but that is what needs to happen. Franks can be a good QB but he needs reps. They can't keep coddling him hoping the the defense can score TD's while the offense tries to run out the clock.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
What you are saying is we need more diversity with our passing game. Dont bring that diversity sh#T to the PF. But I agree, We need to mix it up more. UT had some great passes over the middle that caught us flat footed. Having two real freshman in the secondary may have been part of the problem there.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
What this coaching bunch doesn't seem to know is that running the ball isn't a strength for this team. Maybe with Franks' decent showing, they will be smart enough to stretch the field. There is nothing more worthless than throwing a 2 yard pass when you need 6 yards for a first down on third down and yet we see that over and over again. They need to turn this kid loose and let him fling it. By the way, there are very few QBs living or dead that could have made that last throw.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
What you are saying is we need more diversity with our passing game. Dont bring that diversity sh#T to the PF. But I agree, We need to mix it up more. UT had some great passes over the middle that caught us flat footed. Having two real freshman in the secondary may have been part of the problem there.

Our D was spent, that's what almost lost the game for us. The D was on the field the entire 2nd half and kelly just ran all over them. Not really seeing the two freshman in the secondary as the real problem. The problem was stupid penalties and lack of attention to details...like covering up the damn ball when the pursuit is on your tail. Any HS RB or WR has done the pursue and strip drill a hundred times, you have to cover up the ball.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
By the way, there are very few QBs living or dead that could have made that last throw.
Great point about the pass. It was one of the longest completions you will ever see and considering the magnitude and time it happened even greater.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Kordell Stewart to Westbrook. Not nearly the same type of play but he was standing on the 25 when he threw the ball I believe.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yesterday we attempted 26 passes, 11 were at or behind the line of scrimmage, 10 were 1-10 yards, and 3 were 11 yards or more. We've got to throw the ball down the field more than 3 times. This is why teams are stacking the box when all we do is throw the ball in front of them.

Of course. Play calling sucks.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
FF seems to have thrown into double or triple coverage on multiple intermediate and deep throws. If he wants to take shots down field, he needs to start making better decisions.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
FF seems to have thrown into double or triple coverage on multiple intermediate and deep throws. If he wants to take shots down field, he needs to start making better decisions.
I agree, and if he continues to make bad decisions like that, we've have a problem at QB. But I want him to make those mistakes now and learn and clean it up for later. Lets be realistic for a moment. We aren't gonna beat Alabama this year if we make it to Atlanta but we need to start building a QB for next year and the year after with our incoming class and our young guys. Franks has all the tools physically, if he can handle the mental part then we are in business. I am optimistic...he seems very bright. This reason and this reason alone is why I have changed my mind of firing Mac but I think Nuss has to go if he can't figure a way to get the offense moving without having to rely on scripted plays for a FG first possession.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zach, I know you've been indoctrinated to Sabanthink, but life isn't going to end if he throws a long pic. Wuerffel did it 2 to 3 times a game fairly often. And if the defense actually has to defend depth too, every other aspect of our offense will be greatly improved.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Zach, I know you've been indoctrinated to Sabanthink, but life isn't going to end if he throws a long pic. Wuerffel did it 2 to 3 times a game fairly often. And if the defense actually has to defend depth too, every other aspect of our offense will be greatly improved.
Which is why we are struggling to run the ball, they don't respect our deep game because we havent shown that it even exists.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
IMG_1721.JPG

Franks is scared to throw the ball down field. Here's a screen shot from the INT with about 4 minutes left to play. If FF hits Brandon Powell it's a sure TD because he's past the safeties.

Instead he chose the safe target which resulted in a freak interception.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We know he can sling the ball 60 yards, but he still looks uncomfortable on intermediate routes -- and he's got guys open. He's afraid to release the ball early, which is a problem with young quarterbacks. The coaches need to get him to believe in things he cannot see.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I clicked into this thread expecting to see the response "butters and Nuss."

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I didn't see a lot of wide open receivers yesterday like I have in past games but I could be mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.