Here's part of the problem with the offense

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Franks is scared to throw the ball down field. Here's a screen shot from the INT with about 4 minutes left to play. If FF hits Brandon Powell it's a sure TD because he's past the safeties.

Instead he chose the safe target which resulted in a freak interception.

that's assume Franks could see shorta$$ Powel behind the safeties.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
but this offensive line doesn't give too much confidence to look around.

Nope, this staff claps and praises him for throwing a short completion with an open guy deeper. At one time UF had a staff that would yell at a QB who did such things. That is a difference in coaching for success and coaching scared.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Nope, this staff claps and praises him for throwing a short completion with an open guy deeper. At one time UF had a staff that would yell at a QB who did such things. That is a difference in coaching for success and coaching scared.
Progression should go from deep to short, not the other way around and Powell should be used the way New England used Edelman or the way the Cowboys use Beasley. That seam route should actually be a TE running it....not Powell but that's Nuss dumb shyt offense.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Progression should go from deep to short, not the other way around and Powell should be used the way New England used Edelman or the way the Cowboys use Beasley. That seam route should actually be a TE running it....not Powell but that's Nuss dumb shyt offense.

Actually I think most coaches still coach short to long. The argument for that is that the short receiver should be open first.

The first I heard of reading long to short was from Spurrier QBs. Presumably this came to him somehow via Coryell.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Actually I think most coaches still coach short to long. The argument for that is that the short receiver should be open first.
The first I heard of reading long to short was from Spurrier QBs. Presumably this came to him somehow via Coryell.

Well judging by whats coming into to the NFL from the college ranks, they are teaching it wrong. I am sure the the D is perfectly fine with the 4 yd route being open on 3rd and 8. I heard Cutcliff once say he teaches long to short because it forces the QB's to see the whole field and holds the safeties. He coached up a few good ones.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Franks is scared to throw the ball down field. Here's a screen shot from the INT with about 4 minutes left to play. If FF hits Brandon Powell it's a sure TD because he's past the safeties.

Instead he chose the safe target which resulted in a freak interception.
This shot is after the ball is in the air so the defenders are already breaking forward... You don't know if Powell was open before that ball is thrown... back it up about 2 seconds and see what it looks like.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
This shot is after the ball is in the air so the defenders are already breaking forward... You don't know if Powell was open before that ball is thrown... back it up about 2 seconds and see what it looks like.

This is what I'm seeing in the pic - DBs already broke on the pass making Powell look more open than he might really have been.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Making the defense defend the entire field. What a concept.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well judging by whats coming into to the NFL from the college ranks, they are teaching it wrong. I am sure the the D is perfectly fine with the 4 yd route being open on 3rd and 8. I heard Cutcliff once say he teaches long to short because it forces the QB's to see the whole field and holds the safeties. He coached up a few good ones.

Well,

1. Yes this is much of what is wrong with NFL offenses.

2. I suspect Cutcliff got that from Spurrier, certainly P. Manning at UTn under Fulmer and Cutcliff was looking short to long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.