Here's part of the problem with the offense

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He had a guy wiiiiiiiiide open down the right sideline for a probable TD in the first half where he chose to dump off. I saw other openings that a confident, experienced passer would have exploited. Like so many inexperienced passers, he's waiting to see the receiver open rather than throw to a spot on the field.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He had a guy wiiiiiiiiide open down the right sideline for a probable TD in the first half where he chose to dump off. I saw other openings that a confident, experienced passer would have exploited. Like so many inexperienced passers, he's waiting to see the receiver open rather than throw to a spot on the field.
Think that may have been Massey.

Think the announcers were right when they said that it appears that certain plays are designed for certain players, and FF doesn't read on those plays, just throws it.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Yesterday we attempted 26 passes, 11 were at or behind the line of scrimmage, 10 were 1-10 yards, and 3 were 11 yards or more. We've got to throw the ball down the field more than 3 times. This is why teams are stacking the box when all we do is throw the ball in front of them.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I was saying this very thing throughout the game. Throwing all short passes does absolutely nothing to keep the defense honest. Hell, maybe in a way it helped set up the game winner because they didn't think we'd dare throw the ball 65 yards downfield. :lol:

Tennessee was doing the same damn thing. They barely threw a pass downfield, either.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Yesterday we attempted 26 passes, 11 were at or behind the line of scrimmage, 10 were 1-10 yards, and 3 were 11 yards or more. We've got to throw the ball down the field more than 3 times. This is why teams are stacking the box when all we do is throw the ball in front of them.

Additionally, I wonder what percentage of those 26 passes were thrown between the hash marks v. what percentage were thrown outside the hash marks. I think very very few ball were thrown between the hash marks.

Now in this case that may have led to the final play for UF. Part of the reason the UTn guys took bad angles I bet is that all week long their coaches were on them about UF only throwing the ball to the outside and never downfield between the hash marks.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Kordell Stewart to Westbrook. Not nearly the same type of play but he was standing on the 25 when he threw the ball I believe.
Yes, I remember that throw as well but had forgotten it. He threw that ball a mile.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't see a lot of wide open receivers yesterday like I have in past games but I could be mistaken.
I remember one in particular when Franks hit the short man quick and Dre Massey was wide open down on the right side about 20 yds but this offensive line doesn't give too much confidence to look around.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Our D was spent, that's what almost lost the game for us. The D was on the field the entire 2nd half and kelly just ran all over them. Not really seeing the two freshman in the secondary as the real problem. The problem was stupid penalties and lack of attention to details...like covering up the damn ball when the pursuit is on your tail. Any HS RB or WR has done the pursue and strip drill a hundred times, you have to cover up the ball.
Really. He knew those guys were right behind him but wasn't quick enough mentally to cover up. I doubt he makes that mistake again but what a killer.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
We know he can sling the ball 60 yards, but he still looks uncomfortable on intermediate routes -- and he's got guys open. He's afraid to release the ball early, which is a problem with young quarterbacks. The coaches need to get him to believe in things he cannot see.
I agree with that but the lack of pass protection probably reinforces the hesitancy. With this OL, we need much more misdirection. When they called it, it worked.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Zach, I know you've been indoctrinated to Sabanthink, but life isn't going to end if he throws a long pic. Wuerffel did it 2 to 3 times a game fairly often. And if the defense actually has to defend depth too, every other aspect of our offense will be greatly improved.
That's right. Just throwing deep now and then will back those DB;s off. With this OL, this team has to be pass sets up run team not the other way d. "Go deep young man."

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member

Franks is scared to throw the ball down field. Here's a screen shot from the INT with about 4 minutes left to play. If FF hits Brandon Powell it's a sure TD because he's past the safeties.

Instead he chose the safe target which resulted in a freak interception.
You got that right. I saw that too. A quick pass to Powell would have been a TD. Besides, the first down call should have been pass since everyone knew, including me and especially TN , that he would go to the up the middle dive play.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Franks is scared to throw the ball down field. Here's a screen shot from the INT with about 4 minutes left to play. If FF hits Brandon Powell it's a sure TD because he's past the safeties.

Instead he chose the safe target which resulted in a freak interception.
I see 10 defenders there, where was the 11th?

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
What you are saying is we need more diversity with our passing game. Dont bring that diversity sh#T to the PF. But I agree, We need to mix it up more. UT had some great passes over the middle that caught us flat footed. Having two real freshman in the secondary may have been part of the problem there.

Not diversity, but rather getting a favorable match up and exploiting it.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
I think the intermediate throws are key. Deep throws take time to set up, which you don't normally have if there are 8 defenders in the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator