Hires made, pressure off, Foley says

News

Administrator
Jul 6, 2014
With Florida having new football and basketball coaches at the same time for the first time since 1990, many at the SEC spring meetings have been wondering just how much pressure athletic director Jeremy Foley is under for both to succeed.

More...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Again, nothing wrong with the hires that he made. Before or now. The majority of his criticism has been with the retention of Muschamp. Not the hiring.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n228938 said:
Again, nothing wrong with the hires that he made. Before or now. The majority of his criticism has been with the retention of Muschamp. Not the hiring.

Exactly correct and if we played much better with a full roster everyone would have been happy and he would still be here.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n228938 said:
I couldn't agree more. I think Foley felt pressured to retain WM an additional year due to the injury situation because he didn't want to have the perception of an AD that pulled the trigger too quickly...especially after WM was the SEC COY the prior year. I didn't agree with the extra year and knew it was only a matter of time. Obviously, that was the case and it's caused the football program to be even further behind in it's return to glory. We all want Mac to be successful and I think he will be...but Foley NEEDS him to be successful. Now, let the Law brigade flame away!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp was considered a good hire when it happened. The staff that was built looked to be a solid staff. But it ended up being a cluster****. The problem wasn't the initial hire, it was the extensions and the holding on for another year. The injuries in 2013 made an convent excuse with a COY winner the previous year to keep him as MJM mentioned. We all wanted Muschamp when he came to be successful, and most were cheering how he handled the off-field stuff when he came on. The problem, is he proved he is a coordinator at best.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
VulcanAlex;n228942 said:
Exactly correct and if we played much better with a full roster everyone would have been happy and he would still be here.
Who's fault was it that we didn't have a full roster?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Let's just fire this scumbag and get it over with. While we're at it, lets pull treons scholarship!

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
MJMGator;n228944 said:
I couldn't agree more. I think Foley felt pressured to retain WM an additional year due to the injury situation because he didn't want to have the perception of an AD that pulled the trigger too quickly...especially after WM was the SEC COY the prior year. I didn't agree with the extra year and knew it was only a matter of time. Obviously, that was the case and it's caused the football program to be even further behind in it's return to glory. We all want Mac to be successful and I think he will be...but Foley NEEDS him to be successful. Now, let the Law brigade flame away!

spot on.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;228968 said:
Let's just fire this scumbag and get it over with. While we're at it, lets pull treons scholarship!

Why? He's not fast enough for the slot?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As I watch the Softball and Baseball teams win games in the post season (championship starts tonight for Softball) and I think of the success UF has had in athletics I don't think that Foley "NEEDS" anybody to succeed. While Football is the biggest and most impactful sports, I actually enjoying seeing UF succeed in all sports. I am proud that UF has built a culture of winning across its athletic program that goes beyond Football. The success Billy Donovan had is nothing short of miraculous. Think of how many fans ever get to see their teams win championships... it isn't many. What is even more impressive is that outside of some of the issues Urban Meyer had, the culture has always been one of winning with class. I respect and appreciate that since I believe as an alumni the way the school is portrayed represents me and I see how much more poorly FSU students are viewed after all the issues their Football team has had.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Foley will only ever leave UF on his own terms. He's good a bit overrated. But gymnastics has won 3 in a row and softball is going for 2 in a row. But football was bad and hoops was shockingly terrible this season. He should be feeling the pressure but he isn't. Men's sports at UF are coming up small this entire school year. They have for a couple years. That needs to change.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
While Football was bad, and he (Foley) can take some of the credit on letting a bad coach stay too long; I'd argue it is hard for Foley to take any of the blame for Basketball being bad. We had a 20 yr coach who could stay as long as he wanted, as he'd earned it. It isn't like he was going to boot Billy D for a bad year. And what other male sports are lagging? Baseball? No. Track and Field? No. Swimming and Diving? No. Where besides Basketball (not Foley's fault at all) and Football (partly Foley's fault) are we lagging?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
90% of his job is football, 10% for all the other sports combined.

"Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I love when people start talking about gymnastics to justify why Fooley is still employed.

If the heat was off, then Fooley wouldn't be doing these poorly executed PR repair attempts.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
oxrageous;n229079 said:
90% of his job is football, 10% for all the other sports combined.

"Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"
Um, she didn't. :( ;)

Not sure it's 90 /10 though. maybe 70 / 30.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n229082 said:
I love when people start talking about gymnastics to justify why Fooley is still employed.

I'm not sure why they do that either.....didn't that coach just quit also.

Here's the thing with me, I don't blame Foley 100% for football....he had a decision to make and guessed wrong, we've all done that. I don't totally blame him for Bball, although I think he could have done more to keep Billy. What I find fault in is letting us fall behind where we should be in the two biggest sports facility wise and the hiring process that he used replacing the two biggest sports coaches. I do put the blame squarely on his shoulders for Muschamp's contract and buyout.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n229078 said:
While Football was bad, and he (Foley) can take some of the credit on letting a bad coach stay too long; I'd argue it is hard for Foley to take any of the blame for Basketball being bad. We had a 20 yr coach who could stay as long as he wanted, as he'd earned it. It isn't like he was going to boot Billy D for a bad year. And what other male sports are lagging? Baseball? No. Track and Field? No. Swimming and Diving? No. Where besides Basketball (not Foley's fault at all) and Football (partly Foley's fault) are we lagging?

He should've fired Billy instead of let him go coach in the pros. This is UF damnit! ;)

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think this Texas hold'em analogy may fit Foley's situation with Muschamp:

Foley get's dealt a suited King and ten of clubs (Muschamp) and bets (hires him). Other AD's stay in and others raise, but interestingly Foley counter raises a (gives Muschamp extension after one year) and everyone calls. Then on the flop you see a 7, 8, and a 10 all spades (year 2). Foley has a pair of tens and still has the high pair, but you still have to be worried about the straight and flush draw (poor offense in spite of winning).

After a round of checking, the next card is an Ace of Spades (year 3). There's not only a chance that Foley doesn't have the high pair anymore, but now it's a no brainer that someone at the table has a Ace-high flush. A couple of moderate bets hit the table, and for some reason Foley felt committed to stay in. My guess it was because he raised the pot before the flop and he felt committed to this hand. Anyways the fifth card is a 4 of clubs (year 4), so Foley is stuck with his pair of tens. During the round of betting, guys start going all-in. Foley decides to fold to salvage what chips he has left, but the damage was already done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.