Hires made, pressure off, Foley says

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n229276 said:
You honestly think Billy is a greedy bastard like Calipari? Don't sell the man short...he's chasing his dreams after giving us his all for 19 years. If it had ever been about money, he'd be coaching at Kentucky right now.
You just kinda made my point, why should we pay less than Kentucky if we have more money? I agree that he's not a greedy basterd and he's chasing his dream and who knows, maybe Foley told him he'd match any offer behind closed doors. I'll admit my Billy Donovan comment was nit picking

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n229282 said:
You just kinda made my point, why should we pay less than Kentucky if we have more money? I agree that he's not a greedy basterd and he's chasing his dream and who knows, maybe Foley told him he'd match any offer behind closed doors. I'll admit my Billy Donovan comment was nit picking

This sense no make.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
As much as I despise this wench, this fits right about now.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
t-gator;n229272 said:
Why didn't we offer him calipari money? The nba definitely backed off after Kentucky gave him that huge contract.

This and fix or build a new place for the Bball team.......like 6-8 years ago.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The Original DC;n229280 said:
For you hand full of loud bozos wanting him fired, name a more accomplished AD in the history of the SEC, or even the NCAA for that matter.

DC, Bobby Bowden was considered by many to be the greatest CFB coach at one time also......Time moves on and sometimes passes even the best by. Yes he's done great things in his time here just not so much in the last 5 or 6 years. I don't see how anyone could say he's not become reactive versus being proactive. He reacted to an 11-2 season in football and made a decision that wasn't thought through. It took hiring a new coach, an unproven one at that, to get a commitment to upgrade the football facilities. For the last 5 or 6 years it's been obvious that we were being passed up by the rest of the league as well as our in state rival....Time moves on.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
For you hand full of loud bozos wanting him fired,.
No one cares about gymnastics. UF won the All Sports trophy and was the dominant SEC football team when Fooley arrived. Don't act like he created anything because he didn't. All you have to do to be successful in Florida is wake up in the morning and breathe... and not hire total idiots.

His record are two buffoon coaches, one coach that the Prez brought with him from Utah, and this guy we hired from Colorado State.

Thankfully he won't be around for the next hire regardless.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n229304 said:
DC, Bobby Bowden was considered by many to be the greatest CFB coach at one time also......Time moves on and sometimes passes even the best by. Yes he's done great things in his time here just not so much in the last 5 or 6 years. I don't see how anyone could say he's not become reactive versus being proactive. He reacted to an 11-2 season in football and made a decision that wasn't thought through. It took hiring a new coach, an unproven one at that, to get a commitment to upgrade the football facilities. For the last 5 or 6 years it's been obvious that we were being passed up by the rest of the league as well as our in state rival....Time moves on.

Well perhaps by Nole fans he was considered to be the greatest, but not me. Depends on the criteria you use.

Good point about the game actually changing and if you are a good coach you get at the head of the change, not behind it trying to hold back a large wave. Simple!!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
For you hand full of loud bozos wanting him fired, name a more accomplished AD in the history of the SEC, or even the NCAA for that matter.

Typical.

So he should be able to stay as long as he wants no matter what? This has Bobby Bowden written all over it. Dude stayed well beyond his time and was left alone to do all kinds of damage. Is that what you want? Let me reverse it...when do we say "when" with him? God forbid Coach Mac doesn't work out? Do you let him pick another one? Not sure if you can keep the insults out but maybe you can try. Standard MO for one of you. At what point do we take the keys from Grandpa? Do we let him crash again?

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
t-gator;n229226 said:
Besides keeping muschamp for another year and being cocky about it and completely tanking our program, where's all this money we supposedly have being spent? How does schools like ole miss and auburn have better facilities? If we have one of the largest athletic budgets in the country why are we the only team in our conference without a ipf?(besides candy but they don't count because they suck) And why do we have one of the worst basketball arenas in our conference? I don't care about softball baseball or gymnastics, sure I want them to do well but I couldn't care less if they sucked.
^^^^ This here is exactly what I have been wondering. Where the hell is all the money going? We haven't made any significant upgrades to our football program since 09. Mac comes in and demands for the IPF and we go cheap on that also while in the meantime UGA and Vandy are building $30 million dollar State of the Art IPF's. Every other program in the SEC are also making huge upgrades to their facilities yet we're still dragging our feet saying "We're not going to get into an Arm's Race". None of it makes sense! You either stay current in the "Arm's Race" or your a$$ will be left behind. That's something Foley can't seem to figure out!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If McElwain ends up being a success then everybody will talk about how great Foley is again. The truth is he really made a really bad hire in Zook, although I'm not sure there were many options at that point. I don't remember all the details, but a lot of coaches don't want to come in and follow a legend like Spurrier. Muschamp looked like a good hire, but clearly he wasn't. I supported Muschamp while he was here and I will support all coaches at UF, but it is obvious that he had major flaws in his ability to coach and develop players on the offensive side of the ball.

Anybody who says that Foley could have done more to keep Billy is kidding themselves. Billy was gone no matter what Foley did because he wanted to focus on coaching basketball 24/7 and not deal with recruiting. There is nothing money or facilities could have done to change that. He wanted to coach in the NBA and after 19 years at UF and 2 NC I don't see how anybody could have a problem with that.

As I said in my earlier post I am proud of all our teams when they do well and I am glad we have an athletic director who focuses on making all of our athletics strong. Yes, winning in gymnastics and softball do not negate having a poor football team, but if you look at his success throughout his tenure at UF it is pretty impressive across the board, including football. People can give Machen all the credit they want for Urban Meyer, but I guarantee that if Foley didn't like Meyer and make Meyer feel like it was a good place to work and he could work with Foley that Meyer would have gone to ND. Foley was a big part of that hire regardless of what anybody wants to say about it and he deserves credit for making it happen as much as he deserves the blame for keeping Muschamp around.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n229373 said:
If McElwain ends up being a success then everybody will talk about how great Foley is again. The truth is he really made a really bad hire in Zook, although I'm not sure there were many options at that point. I don't remember all the details, but a lot of coaches don't want to come in and follow a legend like Spurrier. Muschamp looked like a good hire, but clearly he wasn't. I supported Muschamp while he was here and I will support all coaches at UF, but it is obvious that he had major flaws in his ability to coach and develop players on the offensive side of the ball.

Anybody who says that Foley could have done more to keep Billy is kidding themselves. Billy was gone no matter what Foley did because he wanted to focus on coaching basketball 24/7 and not deal with recruiting. There is nothing money or facilities could have done to change that. He wanted to coach in the NBA and after 19 years at UF and 2 NC I don't see how anybody could have a problem with that.

As I said in my earlier post I am proud of all our teams when they do well and I am glad we have an athletic director who focuses on making all of our athletics strong. Yes, winning in gymnastics and softball do not negate having a poor football team, but if you look at his success throughout his tenure at UF it is pretty impressive across the board, including football. People can give Machen all the credit they want for Urban Meyer, but I guarantee that if Foley didn't like Meyer and make Meyer feel like it was a good place to work and he could work with Foley that Meyer would have gone to ND. Foley was a big part of that hire regardless of what anybody wants to say about it and he deserves credit for making it happen as much as he deserves the blame for keeping Muschamp around.

Foley is a legend. There are very few people that don't feel this way. Dude will have a statue some day. But all good things come to an end, no? I guess that's my question...when do you cut bait or does he have a lifetime contract? Is he allowed to set his own date? I don't see too many people touching this one question...why not?

On Billy D, do you think it is possible that Foley's inaction or actions hurried Billy's departure? Is that possible?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n229376 said:
On Billy D, do you think it is possible that Foley's inaction or actions hurried Billy's departure? Is that possible?

19 years is a hurry? :lol:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n229376 said:
Foley is a legend. There are very few people that don't feel this way. Dude will have a statue some day. But all good things come to an end, no? I guess that's my question...when do you cut bait or does he have a lifetime contract? Is he allowed to set his own date? I don't see too many people touching this one question...why not?

I'll touch the question... if McElwain is a completely failure and the football program continues to decline then I think you have to seriously take a look at removing Foley. I truly don't expect that to happen. I also don't think at this point Foley should be fired like many others on this board.

As far as Billy D... no... I actually don't think it is possible that there is anything Foley could have done to prevent Billy from leaving. I don't think Billy left for any reason than he wanted to coach in the NBA and focus on basketball 24/7. I don't think an updated facility or the largest contract could have prevented that.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n229383 said:
I'll touch the question... if McElwain is a completely failure and the football program continues to decline then I think you have to seriously take a look at removing Foley. I truly don't expect that to happen. I also don't think at this point Foley should be fired like many others on this board.

As far as Billy D... no... I actually don't think it is possible that there is anything Foley could have done to prevent Billy from leaving. I don't think Billy left for any reason than he wanted to coach in the NBA and focus on basketball 24/7. I don't think an updated facility or the largest contract could have prevented that.

Fair enough on Billy. So is 7-5, 8-4 & 8-4 a failure? My biggest fear is that we are stuck in middle gear. We really need to turn recruiting around. Numbers are great but we need to take back the top instate talent. There will be no resurgence without taking back our own backyard.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n229395 said:
Fair enough on Billy. So is 7-5, 8-4 & 8-4 a failure? My biggest fear is that we are stuck in middle gear. We really need to turn recruiting around. Numbers are great but we need to take back the top instate talent. There will be no resurgence without taking back our own backyard.

Yes, those records three years in a row is a failure.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There will be plenty of people happy with that.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n229400 said:
How did you get 1,276 likes? Are you paying people?

And for the record, law has the most likes on Gatorchatter. :ugh:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n229400 said:
People would defend Mclewain to the death with that record. Hell, Foley wouldn't even fire muschamp after going 4-8 and you think he'd fire Mclewain after 8-4? When we kept muschamp after going 4-8the standard was lowered. That's the message Foley sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator