Hires made, pressure off, Foley says

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;229132 said:
I think this Texas hold'em analogy may fit Foley's situation with Muschamp:

Foley get's dealt a suited King and ten of clubs (Muschamp) and bets (hires him). Other AD's stay in and others raise, but interestingly Foley counter raises a (gives Muschamp extension after one year) and everyone calls. Then on the flop you see a 7, 8, and a 10 all spades (year 2). Foley has a pair of tens and still has the high pair, but you still have to be worried about the straight and flush draw (poor offense in spite of winning).

After a round of checking, the next card is an Ace of Spades (year 3). There's not only a chance that Foley doesn't have the high pair anymore, but now it's a no brainer that someone at the table has a Ace-high flush. A couple of moderate bets hit the table, and for some reason Foley felt committed to stay in. My guess it was because he raised the pot before the flop and he felt committed to this hand. Anyways the fifth card is a 4 of clubs (year 4), so Foley is stuck with his pair of tens. During the round of betting, guys start going all-in. Foley decides to fold to salvage what chips he has left, but the damage was already done.
85b61418274bbbe91958293865fc20cc.jpg

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Well he gave him a pass due to all the injuries, but the incompetence was the reason for lack of success. The injuries just made it worse. He probably had to do as he did.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The minute the clock went 0:00 at the end of the Georgia Southern game is when the trigger should have been pulled on Duncechump. 99.9% of all the other AD's in the country in the same situation would have done the deed. Letting the Dawg stay one more year set the program back four.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Foley just didn't like to admit he made a mistake with Muschamp. When Muschamp started getting snappy with the heckling fans and showed he wasn't even recruiting O linemen hardly when we had a big shortage it gave him some ammo to get rid of him after 3 seasons. I think he made a decent choice this time but keeping Muschamp for that 4th season will be felt for a couple of years probably.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n229082 said:
I love when people start talking about gymnastics to justify why Fooley is still employed.

If the heat was off, then Fooley wouldn't be doing these poorly executed PR repair attempts.
Admit it, were it not for Foley, you'd have no interest in girl on girls softball. Give the man his due.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n229164 said:
Foley just didn't like to admit he made a mistake with Muschamp. When Muschamp started getting snappy with the heckling fans and showed he wasn't even recruiting O linemen hardly when we had a big shortage it gave him some ammo to get rid of him after 3 seasons. I think he made a decent choice this time but keeping Muschamp for that 4th season will be felt for a couple of years probably.

I agree he made a mistake, I thought after Ga Southern and the accumulated evidence that he was not competent to be our HBC he needed to go. His judgement was different, so be it.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
He should just retire and let some new blood in going forward. IMHO, he should've retired when Muschamp and Machen left. His ego wouldn't let him do it. His ego refused to let him get into an arms race. Huh? He's made some awful decisions in his later years. His ego won't let him walk away and get his statue. I have a strong feeling he'll be forced out because he won't go quietly into that goodnight. Gonna be an ugly end to what should be an amazing career.

GatorGriff

May 29, 2015
Concrete Helmet;n229098 said:
I'm not sure why they do that either.....didn't that coach just quit also.

Here's the thing with me, I don't blame Foley 100% for football....he had a decision to make and guessed wrong, we've all done that. I don't totally blame him for Bball, although I think he could have done more to keep Billy. What I find fault in is letting us fall behind where we should be in the two biggest sports facility wise and the hiring process that he used replacing the two biggest sports coaches. I do put the blame squarely on his shoulders for Muschamp's contract and buyout.
What more could he have done to keep Billy?

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
GatorGriff;n229205 said:
What more could he have done to keep Billy?

Answer is nothing short of UF buying an NBA franchise and making him head coach with a great roster to manage. so NOTHING!!!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Besides keeping muschamp for another year and being cocky about it and completely tanking our program, where's all this money we supposedly have being spent? How does schools like ole miss and auburn have better facilities? If we have one of the largest athletic budgets in the country why are we the only team in our conference without a ipf?(besides candy but they don't count because they suck) And why do we have one of the worst basketball arenas in our conference? I don't care about softball baseball or gymnastics, sure I want them to do well but I couldn't care less if they sucked.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
“As athletic director, I’m a thousand percent convinced that Will Muschamp is the guy to lead this football program. Nothing has changed in what we feel about Will Muschamp from the day we hired him. … We have a history of being successful, we have a history of fixing things when they need to be fixed, and that is what is going to happen here, and Coach Muschamp is the one that will fix it.”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n229226 said:
Besides keeping muschamp for another year and being cocky about it and completely tanking our program, where's all this money we supposedly have being spent?
:suspect2:

His own salary seems to be the only place where we are winning the arms race.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
You don't fire a head coach one year after being a national championship contender. You just don't - especially given the injury situation. Yes, there were some real warning signs even one year later, and I had lost some confidence in WM, but its hard to pull the plug that fast.

By any objective set of critieria, Foley has been exceedingly successful. If both of these hires work out, he will look like a genius. If one works out, he'll still look pretty good. If both are mediocre or a bust, then the pressure may be too much for him to survive.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
L-boy;n229243 said:
You don't fire a head coach one year after being a national championship contender.
112512-CFB-auburn-gene-chizik-LN-PI_20121125143821940_660_320.jpg

Only if you want to win.

We were never a national championship contender. We were never even a contender too score two touchdowns in the same game. In 2012, we were the luckiest 8-9 loss team in history.

You should avoid trying to talk about football, L boy. You are even worse at football than you are politics.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
L-boy;n229243 said:
You don't fire a head coach one year after being a national championship contender. You just don't - especially given the injury situation. Yes, there were some real warning signs even one year later, and I had lost some confidence in WM, but its hard to pull the plug that fast.

By any objective set of critieria, Foley has been exceedingly successful. If both of these hires work out, he will look like a genius. If one works out, he'll still look pretty good. If both are mediocre or a bust, then the pressure may be too much for him to survive.

Anyone who thinks that 11-2 team was anything more than smoke and mirrors doesn't know a lick of football. Block a punt to win...geez...the Dump was overmatched as a head coach from the day he took the job. ALL OF THE WARNING SIGNS WERE THERE. How many people screamed that this brand of football was unsustainable? One year later 4-8. What a debacle. Foley is past his prime. Happens to everyone. We all just hope he had one left in him.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n229221 said:
Answer is nothing short of UF buying an NBA franchise and making him head coach with a great roster to manage. so NOTHING!!!
Why didn't we offer him calipari money? The nba definitely backed off after Kentucky gave him that huge contract.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n229272 said:
Why didn't we offer him calipari money? The nba definitely backed off after Kentucky gave him that huge contract.

You honestly think Billy is a greedy bastard like Calipari? Don't sell the man short...he's chasing his dreams after giving us his all for 19 years. If it had ever been about money, he'd be coaching at Kentucky right now.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For you hand full of loud bozos wanting him fired, name a more accomplished AD in the history of the SEC, or even the NCAA for that matter.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n229279 said:

Not gonna happen. Might as well take a cold shower to get rid of that thing, Law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.