Hires made, pressure off, Foley says

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We could always change the name of this board to Gatorfootballchatteronly since none of the other sports seem to matter to some of you. And for the "only football matters" crowd, I'll play along. How many football SEC and national titles does UF with Foley as AD, and how many without Foley as AD?

Try to answer that question before you go in to your canned response about hiring Muschamp and the mess hall needing an upgrade.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n230959 said:
We could always change the name of this board to Gatorfootballchatteronly since none of the other sports seem to matter to some of you. And for the "only football matters" crowd, I'll play along. How many football SEC and national titles does UF with Foley as AD, and how many without Foley as AD?

Try to answer that question before you go in to your canned response about hiring Muschamp and the mess hall needing an upgrade.

Or a special place for football discussions seems like other larger sites have such.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Vulcan, it's the off season. What do you expect? Even if we were talking x's and o's, frankly, you don't know much about football. Tell me, bro, what is it you want to talk about?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;230959 said:

Take out Spurrier and he's had a hand in like 3.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n230959 said:
How many football SEC and national titles does UF with Foley as AD, and how many without Foley as AD?
Foloey had nothing to do with SOS, in fact they despise each other. (For that matter, he had little to do with the overall program either, we were already winning All Sports trophies, too.) Most think Machen, our recruiting base. and the state of the SEC at the time are far more responsible for Meyer than Fooley.

Even if you credit Fooley with Meyer, he's 1-3 with two major disasters credited to his name, both of whom he defended zealously. If Mac flops, there's nothing that can save his legacy. Regardless, he's gone before we hire the next football coach, rightfully so.

You Fooley worshippers are an embarrassment. I remember this time last year when you promised we'd all be missing him now because, being the all-time pre-eminent administrator in the galaxy, he was a shoe-in to be the SEC AD. :rotfl: That worked out well.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n231015 said:
Vulcan, it's the off season. What do you expect? Even if we were talking x's and o's, frankly, you don't know much about football. Tell me, bro, what is it you want to talk about?

Well the comment was to make an all football part of the system, nothing else.

I don't know much about x and o's, but I know a lot about football.

How about we talk about quantum mechanics??? Just kidding.

I don't agree with those who think that football is much more important because it brings in the money, all the Gators are important to me.

Sorry for the confusion.

Whatever!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n231040 said:
How about we talk about quantum mechanics??? Just kidding.
Admittedly clueless. It thought quarks were small green creatures from Star Trek.

When I need a scientist or doctor to think for me, I pay one.

Simple! And Expensive!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n231039 said:
Foloey had nothing to do with SOS, in fact they despise each other. (For that matter, he had little to do with the overall program either, we were already winning All Sports trophies, too.) Most think Machen, our recruiting base. and the state of the SEC at the time are far more responsible for Meyer than Fooley.

Even if you credit Fooley with Meyer, he's 1-3 with two major disasters credited to his name, both of whom he defended zealously. If Mac flops, there's nothing that can save his legacy. Regardless, he's gone before we hire the next football coach, rightfully so.

You Fooley worshippers are an embarrassment. I remember this time last year when you promised we'd all be missing him now because, being the all-time pre-eminent administrator in the galaxy, he was a shoe-in to be the SEC AD. :rotfl: That worked out well.

You're so full of sh*t. Let's only credit him for the 2 bad hires, but let's not give him any credit for all the NCs UF has won under his watch. Can't have it both ways, Law. He hired BD and retained him 19 years. SOS hated him so much that they still visit each other and he stayed on a decade under him. It's no secret that WM turned out to be a dumpster fire and he should of fired him a year earlier, but calling Zook a disastrous hire is simply not true. He wasn't good enough, but he kept the cupboard stocked with great players for UM to come in and win a couple of NCs behind him. Anyone that think that Foley didn't hire Meyer is misinformed. HE is the one that convinced him to come to Gainesville over ND. I won't bore you with all of the tremendous hires he's made in all of the other sports, because you don't think any of them count. His legacy is one of a Gator Great with the vast majority of Gator Nation. The vocal minority is akin to the likes of Bammers.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Foley owns it, lock, stock, and barrel:

img24270945.jpg

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n231075 said:
Foley owns it, lock, stock, and barrel:

img24270945.jpg

And? Keep spewing your lies and misinformed BS...your minions eat it up.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So just to recap the Foley "debate" as it stands now:

Negatives:
Hired Zook
Hired Muschamp

Positives:
Hired Donavan
Hired Meyer
Florida NCAA Team Championships Under Foley (24)
Women’s Track1992
Women’s Tennis1992
Men’s Golf1993
Football1996
Women’s Tennis1996
Women’s Tennis1998
Women’s Soccer1998
Men’s Golf2001
Women’s Tennis2003
Men’s Basketball2006
Football2006
Men’s Basketball2007
Football2008
Men’s Indoor Track & Field2010
Women’s Swimming & Diving2010
Men’s Indoor Track & Field2011
Women’s Tennis2011
Men’s Indoor Track & Field2012
Women’s Tennis2012
Men’s Outdoor Track & Field2012
Gymnastics2013
Men’s Outdoor Track & Field2013
Gymnastics2014
Softball2014
Florida Athletic Finishes in National All-Sports Rankings Under Foley
1991-925[SUP]th[/SUP]
1992-934[SUP]th[/SUP]
1993-944[SUP]th[/SUP]
1994-955[SUP]th[/SUP]
1995-963[SUP]rd[/SUP]
1996-975[SUP]th[/SUP]
1997-98T2[SUP]nd[/SUP]
1998-994[SUP]th[/SUP]
1999-007[SUP]th[/SUP]
2000-017[SUP]th[/SUP]
2001-023[SUP]rd[/SUP]
2002-037[SUP]th[/SUP]
2003-046[SUP]th[/SUP]
2004-056[SUP]th[/SUP]
2005-065[SUP]th[/SUP]
2006-076[SUP]th[/SUP]
2007-086[SUP]th[/SUP]
2008-093[SUP]rd[/SUP]
2009-102[SUP]nd[/SUP]
2010-114[SUP]th[/SUP]
2011-122[SUP]nd[/SUP]
2012-132[SUP]nd[/SUP]
2013-142[SUP]nd[/SUP]
Florida Finishes in SEC All-Sports Trophy Under Foley
1991-921[SUP]st[/SUP]1[SUP]st[/SUP]1[SUP]st[/SUP]
1992-931[SUP]st[/SUP]1[SUP]st[/SUP]1[SUP]st[/SUP]
1993-941[SUP]st[/SUP]2[SUP]nd[/SUP]1[SUP]st[/SUP]
1994-952[SUP]nd[/SUP] (8.57)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (10.57)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.57)
1995-961[SUP]st[/SUP] (8.79)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (10.06)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.47)
1996-973[SUP]rd[/SUP] (7.79)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (10.61)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.38)
1997-981[SUP]st[/SUP] (8.43)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (10.61)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.66)
1998-991[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.29)2[SUP]nd[/SUP] (8.78)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.00)
1999-001[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.57)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.50)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.53)
2000-013[SUP]rd[/SUP] (9.14)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (10.33)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.81)
2001-021[SUP]st[/SUP] (10.07)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.78)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.91)
2002-031[SUP]st[/SUP] (10.00)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.56)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.75)
2003-041[SUP]st [/SUP](10.00)2[SUP]nd[/SUP] (9.33)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.63)
2004-051[SUP]st[/SUP] (10.29)3[SUP]rd[/SUP] (8.56)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.31)
2005-062[SUP]nd[/SUP] (8.71)3[SUP]rd[/SUP] (8.89)2[SUP]nd[/SUP] (9.63)
2006-071[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.71)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.72)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.72)
2007-082[SUP]nd[/SUP] (9.07)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (10.67)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.97)
2008-091st(10.0)1st (10.27)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (10.16)
2009-101[SUP]st [/SUP](10.78)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.72)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (10.19)
2010-111[SUP]st[/SUP] (10.21)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.89)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (10.03)
2011-121[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.50)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (10.00)1[SUP]st[/SUP] (9.78)
2012-131[SUP]st[/SUP]1[SUP]st[/SUP]1[SUP]st[/SUP]
2013-141[SUP]st[/SUP]1[SUP]st[/SUP]1[SUP]st[/SUP]
Foley is the only athletic director in Division I history to supervise a program that has won multiple national titles in football (1996, 2006, 2008) and men’s basketball (2006, 2007). Overall, 24 Gator teams have been crowned national champions under his watch, the second highest total in the nation among sitting Athletic Directors. Florida has won 15 national championships since 2006, tied for the second best total nationally and 11 since 2009, the second best total in the nation. Florida is one of only two schools in the nation who have captured multiple national championships in each of the last five years and is also one of only two schools to have six different sports win national championships in the last five years. UF has captured 120 SEC Championships under Foley and the lacrosse team has captured four straight American Lacrosse Conference Championships. Florida has swept the Halifax Media Group Southeastern Conference All-Sports Title 14 times under Foley, a feat no other school in the SEC has ever accomplished.
UF’s commitment in the classroom is equally impressive. Under Foley, UF student-athletes have been honored 100 times as Academic All-Americans, the highest total among sitting Athletic Directors and fifth best in the nation since 1992. The University of Florida has more than 1,800 SEC Academic Honor Roll honorees in the last decade.
The Gator athletic coaching family, which Foley had a large part in assembling, has collected 100 conference Coach of-the-Year awards during the last 24 years. The Gators had an amazing 10 coaches earn the league coach of the year honors during the 2012-13 year. Equally impressive is that 10 UF student athletes won their respective conference player of the year in 2012-13.
Florida student-athletes have remained involved in the community and beyond. A total of 345 UF student athletes participated in 4,035 hours of community service in 2013-14, partnering with 25 schools, 12 civic organizations and 20 non-profit organizations. The "Goodwill Gators" program was recognized by the National Consortium of Academics and Sports and received the 1998 Outreach and Service Award and Florida was honored with a White House commendation for volunteerism in 1994.
Foley was named the Street & Smith’s SportsBusiness Journal National Athletic Director of the Year in June of 2006 and the National Football Foundation and College Football Hall of Fame awarded him the 2007 John L. Toner Award. The Toner Award is designed to honor and acknowledge outstanding athletics directors who have demonstrated superior administrative abilities especially in the area of college football.
Foley also served on the NCAA Division I Management Council from 1997-2002.
Foley was named Honorary Alumnus of the University of Florida by the Florida Alumni Association Board of Directors in October of 2000.

In 2008, the Hobart Alumni Association presented Foley with the Medal of Excellence, their highest honor, for outstanding achievements as Athletic Director at the University of Florida, which has brought honor and distinction to his alma mater.
The Holderness School, a small, private, college preparation school in Plymouth, New Hampshire, presented Foley, class of 1970, with their 2007 Distinguished Alumni Award in November of 2007.
Foley was named the United States Sports Academy Carl Maddox Sports Management Award winner in October of 2009. The Award is named in honor of the former athletic director of Louisiana State University and Mississippi State University, Corbet Award and United States Sports Academy Board of Trustees member, and is given annually to an individual for his or her contributions to the growth and development of sport enterprise through effective management practices.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, he did a competent job of maintaining all the non-revenue sports like tiddlywinks, lawndarts, cornhole, bobbing for apples etc. at the same level it was when he arrived, which makes him a decent Assistant AD for Non-revenue Sports.

Fooley should have been fired 10 minutes after he announced he was keeping Chimp for 2014.

YOU may not be aware that football is all that matters, but he sure is. Hence the silly lil pr stunts.

Muschamp-Foley.jpg

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n231124 said:
Yes, he did a competent job of maintaining all the non-revenue sports like tiddlywinks, lawndarts, cornhole, bobbing for apples etc. at the same level it was when he arrived, which makes him a decent Assistant AD for Non-revenue Sports.

Fooley should have been fired 10 minutes after he announced he was keeping Chimp for 2014.

YOU may not be aware that football is all that matters, but he sure is. Hence the silly lil pr stunts.

Muschamp-Foley.jpg

Same ole silly BS. Admit it...he's your Taylor Jacobs, isn't he?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Law has made a franchise out of despising Jeremy and it works for him. Personally, I enjoy reading his posts because he is funny. But he is wrong. SOS was a legend and probably will never duplicated. UM was the hired gun that can flat out coach and recruit and run a big time program. But then you have dozens of good coaches and staffs all chasing the grail with as much fervor and resources as we do to think we just stay on top with coach superstar continually is just wishful thinking. RonZ as it turned out was a good pick. He came close in some games but they pulled the trigger and with that talent and great recruiting we won big. I will not comment on WM because it is a vaporized horse that needs no more flailing. We all know that many male egos need that FOOTBALL winner because it helps us identify with strength and badassnneess. Having played a lot of tackle football as a young man in HS I Know about the macho side. But football is not as American as basketball. We invented it from the ground up. Football is just a bastardized version of that sissy soccer. Law likes to discount many sports as not worthy. When I see that big gator pitcher bearing down on the Michigan catcher I doubt law or I would have fielded that throw from center. As for the gymnastic girls what they do is badassss and amazing. I guess my background in sports allows me to see the real value and beauty of most of them.. Team work, years of practice. coaching and the enthusiasm of players. How can you not admire them and embrace them when they all give that gator chomp sign we identify with. Gator nation IS everywhere and they all aint football players. So let law and few others rail on Jeremy, The majority of us and all of the collegiate world understand his value and entire record. Gator football will one day be bad ass again, we just need a good QB.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n231041 said:
Admittedly clueless. It thought quarks were small green creatures from Star Trek.

When I need a scientist or doctor to think for me, I pay one.

Simple! And Expensive!

Well Gee I never need anybody to "think" for me, I might pay for advice like from a lawyer, but thinking is a personal thing.

Now the quarks that I am talking about are sub atomic particles, it is mostly a joke and to annoy some foolish posters.

Quark that you are thinking about is an alien that runs a bar on Star Trek Deep Space 9. He also has other roles in the books.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n231156 said:
Law has made a franchise out of despising Jeremy and it works for him. Personally, I enjoy reading his posts because he is funny. But he is wrong. SOS was a legend and probably will never duplicated. UM was the hired gun that can flat out coach and recruit and run a big time program. But then you have dozens of good coaches and staffs all chasing the grail with as much fervor and resources as we do to think we just stay on top with coach superstar continually is just wishful thinking. RonZ as it turned out was a good pick. He came close in some games but they pulled the trigger and with that talent and great recruiting we won big. I will not comment on WM because it is a vaporized horse that needs no more flailing. We all know that many male egos need that FOOTBALL winner because it helps us identify with strength and badassnneess. Having played a lot of tackle football as a young man in HS I Know about the macho side. But football is not as American as basketball. We invented it from the ground up. Football is just a bastardized version of that sissy soccer. Law likes to discount many sports as not worthy. When I see that big gator pitcher bearing down on the Michigan catcher I doubt law or I would have fielded that throw from center. As for the gymnastic girls what they do is badassss and amazing. I guess my background in sports allows me to see the real value and beauty of most of them.. Team work, years of practice. coaching and the enthusiasm of players. How can you not admire them and embrace them when they all give that gator chomp sign we identify with. Gator nation IS everywhere and they all aint football players. So let law and few others rail on Jeremy, The majority of us and all of the collegiate world understand his value and entire record. Gator football will one day be bad ass again, we just need a good QB.

You don't need any experience in sports to appreciate the great Gators, just a decent brain.

I thought you were incorrect about football coming from soccer, and a brief search shows that it is Rugby, not so sissy sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football

Now I tolerate Law a little, but truth be told Foley is one of the best ADs ever. He has been a Gator for a long time, and as such deserves our respect. Sure he is not perfect, no human is.

Ron Zook was poor, he could recruit but never got that it takes a team to be successful. Urban had a group of super assistants to make it happen for him, and now has a weaker Big 10 so perhaps does not need the super team.

Whatever!!!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ohio State has a monster recruiting class this year. With a couple 4 stars from Florida.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n231159 said:
Quark that you are thinking about is an alien that runs a bar on Star Trek Deep Space 9. He also has other roles in the books.
:) I was kidding. I don't watch Star Trek, at least since the 70s. I almost said Star Wars but Star Trek sounded more geeky so I went with it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n231156 said:
Law likes to discount many sports as not worthy. When I see that big gator pitcher bearing down on the Michigan catcher I doubt law or I would have fielded that throw from center. As for the gymnastic girls what they do is badassss and amazing. I guess my background in sports allows me to see the real value and beauty of most of them.
Coach, I pitched but above all things, I loved playing catcher. I loved blocking the plate and loved blocking the wild pitches in the dirt. I'm smiling just thinking about it. Probably couldn't squat for two innings now. I watch baseball, just not college. I don't like the minor leagues of the minor leagues aspects of it.

It's not that I don't appreciate the other sports. Obviously, it's great to win NCs in basketball and football and win all sports trophy in the same year. However, winning in tiddlywinks gives me no solace when we are consistently in the bottom of the SEC in football.

The University of Florida is about football period. The budget is produced by football period. We are the flagship in the richest state talent wise. Frankly it should be easy for an AD to land excellent coaches, if he weren't constantly trying to hire third tier coaches from the little league conferences and find that (cheap) diamond in the rough then forcing them to make do with a fraction of the coaching staff money that other premier staffs get, we wouldn't be in this position.

There is no excuse. The money Fooley wasted on paying Chimp, paying CSU's buyout, and hiring Mac, he could have paid the salary of any coach anywhere, including Saban or coaches capable of beating Saban. (I'm not saying we should have tried to hire Saban, that is silly, but the point is we could hire a Championship Coach instead of something from the seconds bin yet again.) Buying two KIas instead of one Lexus isn't a smart move, no matter what Fooley tells himself.

There is no excuse for the delapidated facilities with forty year old drop ceilings and the penny pinching coaches when we are ROLLING in money and would have even more if we didn't put a product on the field on par with Kintucky (in football). I know some of you don't care about facilities but you have to understand, this is the BLING generation. That stuff does matter to them. Fooley owns it.

The next point that needs to be emphasized is Fooley's assertion that "the pressure is off." Bullshiit. Not exercising institutional control is how we ended up with gang banger thugs and a serial murderer under Creyer and the disaster of the Dawg that followed. Frankly, Creyer's thugs embarrass me way more than Galen Hall paying some kid $50 to avoid going to jail for child support debts.

The pressure has never been higher and if Fooley doesn't know how to oversee a football program he DAMN sure better be hiring some counselors with subject matter expertise who CAN help him ensure we don't self destruct yet again. How hard is it?

Fooley: Chimp, this is Jeremy. I noticed we just recruited two offensive linemen and seven DBs. You know Creyer only landed two OL last year two, right?
Chimp: Well, you see, eye control, midline, controlled the ball, time of possession, 3 man surface, disguise coverage, that's on me.
Fooley; What is your plan to get that fixed? A dozen jucos and a big OL class in 2012, I hope?
Chimp: Well, midline, eagle front, weak blitz, disguise coverage, eye control, controlled the ball, time of possession, that's on me.

Fooley thinking: I'd better get on the phone to Charley Strong agents and others if this isn't fixed in the spring. And tear up that extension I was working on. Both of them.

Honestly, it was not hard to see the disaster coming. You had to close your eyes and squint them tight in order to not see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator