Ho Hum... Another 3 Star

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't Holley a basketball player too?

I think he's talking about some kid from Tennessee who played basketball. ...and baseball. I think he was a kicker. ...or a QB. All I know is he wasn't legit, 'cause he didn't make it in the pros. ...just sat on the bench his whole career.

Oh, I remember. His name was Stevie, Stefan, something like that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Youre adding Trey Burton to the successful list? :rotfl: I don't have time to list the hundred or so flops I'd have to list to get back to Brandon James class. Just assume that I did it and slap yourself in the face for me.

They fact remains that our class is currently structured very much like Kintucky's current class. We know what that means on the field.

One would have to say Randy Shannon is our most proven recruiter, and he is best known for recruiting 15 LBs per year at scUM. I'm hopeful that changes but to say that recruiting like Kintucky isn't a risk given that we have no proven recruiters on this staff is silly.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Although in all fairness, I have to point out that this kid has only been rated by 247 sports. Not every kid everywhere can be rated so he may be a diamond in the rough. He hasn't been evaluated by Rivals.

We'll see.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Who cares if he never plays a down if it gets mack Wilson to jump on board? I'd burn two scholarships to get the best linebacker, given our current situation there.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Who cares if he never plays a down if it gets mack Wilson to jump on board? I'd burn two scholarships to get the best linebacker, given our current situation there.

My issue with that is that one player. It's multiple players. Why would the following players even get schollies?

McWilliams
Mitchell
Robinson
Lenton
Burnett

I kind of get Trask. He was evaluated by a QB guru in Mac and Mac gets his potential.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My issue with that is that one player. It's multiple players. Why would the following players even get schollies?

McWilliams
Mitchell
Robinson
Lenton
Burnett

I kind of get Trask. He was evaluated by a QB guru in Mac and Mac gets his potential.
That's where we disagree. I have way less of an issue with us taking some athletes from south Florida that have actually seen the field than a kid who doesn't see the field unless his team is up by 60. You actually believe that a kid who can't even see meaningful playing time can come in here and compete with all Americans?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's where we disagree. I have way less of an issue with us taking some athletes from south Florida that have actually seen the field than a kid who doesn't see the field unless his team is up by 60. You actually believe that a kid who can't even see meaningful playing time can come in here and compete with all Americans?

No, I don't. I'm just saying that I understand the reasoning by the staff. He feels that he can take any quarterback with a certain skill set and turn them in to all Americans. We've already seen him do it. The kids listed above don't have exceptional production or measureables.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So for instance, when we took that DE from Gainesville High Who had crazy measurable's but no production, understood. Course he still sucked…

McAllister was another one with limited production but crazy measureables. He panned out. I just can't remember any CBs without any length and no production that panned out.

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
I remember when we wanted a DB out of St. Augustine named Jacques Rickerson. I think he was a 4 star. He had a cousin or something named Brandon James. Just a little 3 star at the max. It was kind of a package deal. Brandon James became the best return man in UF history probably. Rickerson was average and got arrested. Go figure.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember when we wanted a DB out of St. Augustine named Jacques Rickerson. I think he was a 4 star. He had a cousin or something named Brandon James. Just a little 3 star at the max. It was kind of a package deal. Brandon James became the best return man in UF history probably. Rickerson was average and got arrested. Go figure.

Number one, he didn't play CB for us. Number two, we didn't take four or 5 3 star or lower rated CBs in that class. Cornerbacks should be flocking to play here…

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
Who are you saying did not play CB Brandon James or Rickerson? Clearly Brandon James did not play CB. My point is sometimes you may take a lower ranked buddy to get a bigger fish, and sometimes that lower ranked buddy can contribute in other ways. They may never expect him to play corner. Maybe he only ever works his way to a 5th DB, but maybe the coaching staff sees he can come play special teams. Maybe he is really fast. Maybe he is a good return man but just average DB. You gotta have special teams players too. You need depth.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Who are you saying did not play CB Brandon James or Rickerson? Clearly Brandon James did not play CB. My point is sometimes you may take a lower ranked buddy to get a bigger fish, and sometimes that lower ranked buddy can contribute in other ways. They may never expect him to play corner. Maybe he only ever works his way to a 5th DB, but maybe the coaching staff sees he can come play special teams. Maybe he is really fast. Maybe he is a good return man but just average DB. You gotta have special teams players too. You need depth.

James. I don't have an issue with taking lower ranked buddies to bring on higher ranked buddies. We did that with Lakeland. I have an issue with all this three-star cornerbacks we are bringing in this class.

At least this kid has some length.

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
James. I don't have an issue with taking lower ranked buddies to bring on higher ranked buddies. We did that with Lakeland. I have an issue with all this three-star cornerbacks we are bringing in this class.

At least this kid has some length.

GatorJ you probably know more about our recruits than I, but a school is lucky to get one 4-5 star DB every other year maybe. UF plays with 5 db's pretty often. You gotta get bodies somewhere. I understand what you are saying.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ you probably know more about our recruits than I, but a school is lucky to get one 4-5 star DB every other year maybe. UF plays with 5 db's pretty often. You gotta get bodies somewhere. I understand what you are saying.

Here are your 2013 and 2014 DB classes. Not one three-star. And a couple of these kids are borderline five star. We call ourselves DBU and we're bringing in four 3 star kids. We're better than that.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
6-3 seems kinda tall to play CB. I wonder if Mac sees a position change in college?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here's 2011 and 2012. Did any of those three stars other than Pop Saunders make any impact at CB?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, I think you can take chances with Laurent players on the defensive line and LB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.