Holy Moly: Harvin traded to Jets

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This makes no sense unless Harvin was acting up somehow in Seattle...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1 hour ago, Pro Football Talk had an article about how they were going to expand his role this weekend.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Yes I read that they had not been successful in using him in their offense. Apparently the Cowboys found a way to stop the bubble screen, I saw a lot of statistics that said he was ineffective as a down field receiver, but that really meant nothing. Shocking to me!!

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n82214 said:
Really????

Tell me how many games has Percy Harvin been a critical factor in a Seattle win? I thought so. Bye, bye Percy to a dead man walking head coach and the worst team in the NFL.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n82232 said:
Tell me how many games has Percy Harvin been a critical factor in a Seattle win?
How about the Super Bowl, where he should have won MVP? :crazy:

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n82234 said:

And considering how few games he has played for them it is a large percentage of opportunities.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInGeorgia;n82224 said:
WTF were they thinking???

My sentiments exactly.

My nephew in Seattle, just emailed me his office is in an uproar, but he didn't offer a guess as to a reason

Poor Percy. Wonderful Washington and legal marijuana to horrible dysfunctional team, nasty people, and an air quality that is unfavorable forr someone prone to migraines.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n82234 said:

What? I don't even come close to buying that/. Sheeet. Harvin? Was he playing on the D. Seattle won because their Defense made Peyton Manning look like a no talent bum which he actually was on that day.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He is owed over $41 Million over the next 4 years.
His stats....not that great. They are getting a midrange draft pick, probably a 3rd rounder I'd guess. I'd be willing to bet this is simply a business decision and they found someone willing to give them the draft pick they wanted.

John Clayton says this:
Seattle will receive a conditional draft pick in 2015, which will range from a second- to fourth-round pick, a source told ESPN's John Clayton.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...tle-seahawks-trade-percy-harvin-new-york-jets

I think it's a matter of a business decision and is he worth the money considering he hasn't played a complete season since 2011.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
The Jets?? WTF, I hate the Jets and especially Rex Ryan. This makes them the favorites in most of their remaining games though, if they can keep Percy healthy and on the field. They still probably won't make the playoffs though. They are better than their record (how could they be worse?).

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n82243 said:
He is owed over $41 Million over the next 4 years.
His stats....not that great. They are getting a midrange draft pick, probably a 3rd rounder I'd guess. I'd be willing to bet this is simply a business decision and they found someone willing to give them the draft pick they wanted.

John Clayton says this:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-new-york-jets

I think it's a matter of a business decision and is he worth the money considering he hasn't played a complete season since 2011.
Harvin's stats have never been that great, even at UF. That didn't stop everyone from knowing he was perhaps the best player in college football. His mere presence on the field opens everything up, and he's a terror as a return man. Evidently he just "wasn't a fit" in Seattle, and chances are good he was whining about something - probably not getting the ball enough in their conservative offense. Harvin has never been shy about expressing his frustration.

You don't just give a guy away you traded 3 high picks for in a year unless there's some kind of in-house problem.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
oxrageous;n82249 said:
Harvin's stats have never been that great, even at UF. That didn't stop everyone from knowing he was perhaps the best player in college football. His mere presence on the field opens everything up, and he's a terror as a return man. Evidently he just "wasn't a fit" in Seattle, and chances are good he was whining about something - probably not getting the ball enough in their conservative offense. Harvin has never been shy about expressing his frustration.

You don't just give a guy away you traded 3 high picks for in a year unless there's some kind of in-house problem.
Agree. There's no way you pay what they did for Harvin then say "yeah, a mid level 3rd round pick sounds fair for the most dynamic athlete in the NFL".

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n82249 said:

Could be, I'm not saying it couldn't be, so please don't get me wrong, however, 9-10 Million per year is a lot of money for not a lot of results, and for another 4 years. Like I said, he hasn't played a full season since 2011. I do wonder if that plays into this decision as they assume he may never play a full season in his career again.
Is a WR worth that much money if they can't even complete a season? And is there perhaps more to the trade than we already know in regards to what Seattle is getting back.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n82248 said:
The Jets?? WTF, I hate the Jets and especially Rex Ryan. This makes them the favorites in most of their remaining games though, if they can keep Percy healthy and on the field. They still probably won't make the playoffs though. They are better than their record (how could they be worse?).

Did you say it makes them the favorites in their remaining games....with Geno Smith as quarterback and Rex Ryan as Head Roach...I mean Coach? :) Good luck on that.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Alvin York;n82253 said:
Did you say it makes them the favorites in their remaining games....with Geno Smith as quarterback? :) Good luck on that.
Yeah, most (not all) believe it or not. They have Buffalo twice, Miami twice, Minn, Tenn, KC, Pitt and NE. With Harvin and how they played last night they will be favored in most of these games.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n82249 said:
chances are good he was whining about something - probably not getting the ball enough in their conservative offense. Harvin has never been shy about expressing his frustration.

I think this is the real reason, for the most part. If you watched the game on Sunday, there was a point late in the 4th quarter where the camera panned over to an unhappy Percy who was approaching Lynch to presumably commiserate - Lynch only carried the ball 10 times in the game (and they weren't playing come from behind football either - the Hawks were up 10-0 in the first quarter). The camera didn't stay on them long, but you could see something in Harvin's manner that whatever he was going to say to Lynch wasn't coach friendly. I'm just guessing, but I think Ox is right that he doesn't hold back his frustrations. He's an exciting player, great talent, but a prima-donna and very fragile. The Hawks were probably hedging there bets before he gets hurt again, and dumping what could be a potential locker room problem, and saving a lot in salary cap space in the process.
I also don't believe the Hawks gave him a fair shot at playing a real WR position. There's no way anyone on that squad would be better than Percy in the slot. I'm disappointed with the trade and have no real reason to root for them anymore (other than Dan Quinn and Blitz the mascot is a Gator :smile:).
My take from the City of Rain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator