Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Lose by 10 or more

Votes: 9 7.6%

• Total voters

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Unless it picks up a lot and he gets a top 10 class it seems Mac and Mullen will be the only 2 new coaches in recent memory that had these recruiting issues at a top southern football school like UF. At least Zook and Muschamp (on defense) left some good players here and had highly ranked classes.

WE SUCKED before Pell/Hall...

Charlie Pell went 0-10-1 in 1979… By 1984 we had the Top Team in the Country (But were stripped of the SEC and the Ranking)

Wikipedia

Pell coached the Florida Gators football team from 1979 to 1984, posting a 33–26–3 record.[5][6] The 1979 Gators suffered an 0–10–1 record—still the worst in school history. However, Pell's Gators quickly improved, with winning records and bowl invitations during the next four years.[6] The Gators' improvement from 0–10–1 in 1979 to 8–4 in 1980 was the largest one-year turnaround in major college football history at the time.[7] His 1983 Gators finished 9–2–1 and were ranked sixth in the final Associated Press football poll—the Gators' first-ever top-ten finish, and the highest final ranking in school history at the time.[2]

The Locker room was slap full for SOS...and he said so

Zook left it stacked for Meyer...Heck we had 4 players that could have finished top 10 (in the World) in the 4X100 meters

After Mullen, Meyer knew he was in trouble.

Muschamp cleans up the locker room, runs off a ton of players, stacks the D and forgets about the offense. Then changes 3 OC all with different systems.

Enter Butter MacShark. He turned what players we had into powder puffs with his PBJ and wussy S&C. He had NO…NONE…ZIP O Line so he recruited bodies.

So now we have a locker room full of PBJ eating snowflakes and you lay this on Mullen… who has Coached 2…count them 2 games.

You cry recruiting...recruiting, and Mullen has not even been here for a year. You are correct, 2019 class may not be 4.5 Stars …BUT I guarantee it will be light years ahead of 2016, 2017, 2018.

Last edited:

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Y'all are

Now come up with a better coach THAT would take the job?

I wanted Charlie Strong after Frost said no. Charlie is killing it at USF. I wanted Charlie when SOS left and then when Meyer left.

You are the ones that said recruiting has sucked for years. And now you blame a First Year Coach. :wag:
I also wanted Strong when no one else did. The guy can recruit, coach a defense and is very well respected by players and their families.

P.s. where'd you get that picture of me?

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
The guys has coached two games and it's over. Have any of you looked at what he left behind at MSU? Lets give him 4-5 years before we fire him.
I wonder if Mullen has any regrets about leaving. Clearly, the team he left behind is way better, with more talent even.

Either he did it for the money $6M (even though he was already set financially) or he sees UF as his best opportunity to win a championship. He'll probably definitely regret it -at least momentarily- after we get curb-stomped in StarkVegas. Hopefully, his gambit pays off in about 4-5 years. My best guess is he's about go on a languid, Richtesque, journey of acceptable seasons without any champions. Time will tell.

I'll watch em all win or lose.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Unless it picks up a lot and he gets a top 10 class it seems Mac and Mullen will be the only 2 new coaches in recent memory that had these recruiting issues at a top southern football school like UF. At least Zook and Muschamp (on defense) left some good players here and had highly ranked classes.
That's what happens when you're trending downwards. The U used to pull in top 10 talent every year also. We've been trending backwards for so long, you can't just show up and get a top 10 class just because we're Florida.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Here’s the deal, every coach needs the previous coach to leave something in the cupboard.

Spurrier had Galen Hall who recruited some good players that helped Steve. However, Steve revolutionized college football and especially the SEC with his spread the defense out passing offense. The SEC enjoyed heavy defenses and 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. In this case it was good players and an innovative offensive mind. In 1991 a solid UF team went in the road and lost to Syracuse 38-21. That was considered a terrible loss at the time. UF went on to a 10-1 season. In 1992 UF lost to TN and MissSt back-to-back. It was thought by some that his initial success was gone. They finished 9-4 in 1992. In 2000 he lost to Mississippi State and the fan base erupted. Miss St took down their goal posts.

Urban Meyer was left with terrific recruiting classes brought in by Ron Zook. He was able to immediately gain buy-in by the players and had talent that was football smart. His offense required speed and Zook had brought in just enough players for Urban to install his offense, have success in year one, and recruit what seemed like nearly every player on the Florida HS Championship team for that year along with other great players.

Since then, what have the previous coaching staffs left for Dan Mullen. Not much. Yet this fan base expects, no, demands that he put quality product on the field and compete better than his predecessors did the 5 or so years prior using the players they left him with. Unrealistic? Yes. These are the same players that were spending their own money to get trained by gym trainers outside of the program under McElwain.

Does the KY game mean we are doomed for the next zillion years? No. It simply is one game and that is how it will be recorded in history. It will probably be a long season with several more losses before it’s over. It’s not an indictment of this coaching staff that the program has a way to go, it’s only been two games and yet the offense has scored more TDs than last year, at least indicating improvement. Give it time.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Charlie failed miserably at Texas with what be a very similar rebuild project here...without the SEC to deal with. I’ve always loved him and he was a GREAT GATOR while he was here, but no thanks.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Charlie failed miserably at Texas with what be a very similar rebuild project here...without the SEC to deal with. I’ve always loved him and he was a GREAT GATOR while he was here, but no thanks.
Gave you a thumbs up because his TX stint was very underwhelming, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't trade Mullen for Strong right now.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Gave you a thumbs up because his TX stint was very underwhelming, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't trade Mullen for Strong right now.
What if I throw in three, fours-star OL’s and a five-star linebacker? Then will you trade Mullen for Strong?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
What if I throw in three, fours-star OL’s and a five-star linebacker? Then will you trade Mullen for Strong?
Not sure I understand, but mine was a double negative meaning I would make the trade, and tell you what, today only, I'll throw in Grantham for free to sweeten the deal.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There seems to be some serious communication issues between you two. I dont know what the hell im reading right now.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I’m not sure what happened. But pending UAA approval, we’ve agreed to trade Mullen and Grantham for Coach Strong and several four stars to be named later.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Wrong on Mullen. All we have thus far is Mullen's transition class which was one of UF's best transition classes in decades plus 4 star transfer Van Jefferson and 5 star Grimes.

UF still has enough scholarship slots and time to get to # 10 for the 2019 class.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Wrong on Mullen. All we have thus far is Mullen's transition class which was one of UF's best transition classes in decades plus 4 star transfer Van Jefferson and 5 star Grimes.

UF still has enough scholarship slots and time to get to # 10 for the 2019 class.

But he is on track for a crappy 2nd class which is unheard of with a new coach at these type of schools except with Mac of course.

If he does get a # 10 Rivals class that would be finishing decent at least.

A lot of you guys want to act like we cant get a good class until the recruits see it on the field and they surely wont see it this year so is that going to be the excuse again if its not in the top 10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.