Votes: 9 7.6%

• Total voters

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lot of interesting points of view in this thread. I have to say that @soflagator sounds about as old as my worn out @ss! @Durty South Swamp made some comments that resonated with a guy my age:
I hate what we call "tradition" now because it isn't. UF football has very little true tradition left. Most of what the students now consider UF gameday traditions are this falls version of some millennial asshattery. Stupid rap music in between every play and every series. Stupid uniforms. The two bits tradition is still there but the kids dont even understand it and frankly dont care. Take a poll and I bet half of them would prefer to replace it with some stupid dance music like south carolina does right before kickoff, which is also awful and embarrassing I might add. There's very little magic and pageantry left in the swamp. And it hasnt been the place where only gators get out alive for many years.
The traditions that I enjoyed from the late '70's and early '80's on, if any are still used, are masked by what Durty has described. Some of the coolest things were getting up on the day of the game hungover as hell and going to the stadium on time for the kickoff when you would have much rather stayed in bed. There was a sense of responsibility to be present and support the team. Of course there were plenty of pretty maids wearing Dolphin shorts and other warm weather attire that added to the experience. Some were even passed up from the bottom of the bleachers to the top with the fans' approval. We Are The Boys was a sacred moment and from the video posted earlier in the thread, it just didn't look or sound quite the same. There was a whole lot more standing than sitting and the crowd was always a factor. It's been three or four years since I've been to a game (health issues, advanced decrepitude, etc.), but it was some different even then. All the bells and whistles that punctuate the time outs, quarter breaks, halftime, etc. are part of the experience that all the schools seem to be seeking. The 25 years I bought season tickets were to watch good football and cheer for my team. I didn't care one bit about what music was playing at particular intervals (though I did enjoy Jump Around when they played it between the 3rd and 4th quarters) nor was I ever on my phone during the game to talk or take pictures. Football was why I was there.

The last game I went to, I remember my son looking at the student section (a bunch of empty seats) and remarking about how so many were sitting like they were in the cafeteria at school, on their phones and chatting with their neighbors. The alumni, who used to get hammered by the students for being docile, was where the most enthusiasm seemed to come from. All things change, but depending on your perspective, not always for the better. One of the things I really enjoyed about Gator football was the hard hitting, flying around defenses. The rules of the game nowadays seemed to have neutered that aspect. Like most, I enjoyed seeing SOS' teams, but I also enjoyed watching Neal Anderson, John L, Emmitt of course, and all of the factors that were part of the ground game. The guys on the Great Wall were unbelievable, but I also enjoyed the OL's of '91 and '96. The games were exciting to me and oozed strength and killer instincts to go along with the potent offenses.

But it just seems different and so far away now. I'm personally not a fan of the constant sideways running attacks or pass offenses that seem to rely so much on formations and routes from the hash out. If you've read any of my posts, you know that it makes me livid to see everyone playing the game straight-legged and high as the proverbial camel ****! But it's fast and glitzy and both teams try harder to outscore each other than to shut each other out and to most it seems that's what sells these days. It makes me wonder if I'm in the minority or if there's a bunch from my generation who just don't find the enjoyment like there once was in the game and the traditions and have created a gap in the support group? I also think it's safe to say that the students aren't as rabid as they once were and that is a great loss.

So where are we going? I don't know, but the thoughts conjured are not as appealing to me as what I cut my Gator teeth on. I just hate to think about our once proud tradition dying on the vine. The figureheads are partly responsible, but the fans who buy into what college football has become have a part in this as well. So do us older guys who can't hold out anymore I suppose. Maybe we've lost what the game and atmosphere really meant by buying into the modern concept that seems driven more by trend than tradition?

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2: I forgot to throw in a Dabo. Every loss to a shytty team is just like Saban losing to ULM in his first month and every 6-6 coach is Dabo.

Here's the thing, if UF starts attacking facilities the way Clemson and Bammer attacked them, then any any coach we hire in 2 years will have more tools.

If we just spend 50 mil on baseball and 40 mil on football, we will always remain in the bottom of the SEC. We arent UCF.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As I have said Mullen has to get through the next 2 years. The 2019 class won't be able to use the UF football center till they are juniors. So we need recruits focused on playing time which hopefully Mullen can still get some flips on.

With UF installing both a new defense and offense , UF is a work in progress. We will see if the OL and DL , safeties and LBs can start getting fewer missed assignments as they learn the new system.

byrdman, he only gets three years. especially after the last two hires. Doesn't matter what he walked into that was a known quantity. He doesn't have the opportunity to just get through the first two years. For a program that had a projected profit of 67 million last year, it's big business.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Unless we remove the cancer which is people like you and Donkey who constantly put down UF so as to help our opponents.

Mullen has been here for 1 loss while putting in 2 new systems and you hit the panic button. No one wants to work for someone like that.

Fortunately Clemson did not listen to people like you two when Dabo had his first loss.
Actually, the cancer is fans like you who loved and supported Fooley till the bitter end, who never have high expectations and who supported terrible coaches with terrible contracts. That’s the cancer.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, the cancer is fans like you who loved and supported Fooley till the bitter end, who never have high expectations and who supported terrible coaches with terrible contracts. That’s the cancer.
And the remnants of the Fooley era who remain in the AD's office.

Cut out the cancer.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
:lmao2: I forgot to throw in a Dabo. Every loss to a shytty team is just like Saban losing to ULM in his first month and every 6-6 coach is Dabo.

Here's the thing, if UF starts attacking facilities the way Clemson and Bammer attacked them, then any any coach we hire in 2 years will have more tools.

If we just spend 50 mil on baseball and 40 mil on football, we will always remain in the bottom of the SEC. We arent UCF.
Wrong again. The football center costs more at 65 million.

Gators AD Scott Stricklin: New football facility will not have 'gold-plated toilets and waterfalls'

Moving the baseball stadium off their strategically located land helps double football footprint. Long term this is very good for football as it gains room to grow and will have one of the best football centers in the country in addition to already having one of the best athlete academic centers in the country plus a new indoor practice field.

Last edited:

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Wrong again. You donkey and lagator don't give a coach a fair chance to get started.

With no fair chance then how does a new coach get started? If the ADs listened to you we would be in permanent failure.

I give them a fair chance then if they fail then I call them to task.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wrong again. You donkey and lagator don't give a coach a fair chance to get started.

With no fair chance then how does a new coach get started? If the ADs listened to you we would be in permanent failure.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. It just never ends. A great coach doesn’t need a “fair chance” because they hit the grounds running on all cylinders. Mullins has already shown he’s not ready to hit the ground running and you’ve given him till 2020 just to get recruiting going. Fans like you have him on the 5-7 year plan.

Just another mediocre hire.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
We took Kintucky for granted.
Doubtful. UK has many NFL draft prospects on that team with system experience. UF had many mistakes installing new systems on defense and offense.

When you have a new system you are slowed by indecision and you make mistakes. Hopefully Franks can get the new system down. UK was always a likely lost to me due to playing an experienced team with talent early in the season.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UK has many NFL draft prospects on that team

abr.gif

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Excuses, excuses, excuses. It just never ends. A great coach doesn’t need a “fair chance” because they hit the grounds running on all cylinders. Mullins has already shown he’s not ready to hit the ground running and you’ve given him till 2020 just to get recruiting going. Fans like you have him on the 5-7 year plan.

Just another mediocre hire.
Fortunate for Clemson they did not listen to fans like you who say you should not give a coach a fair chance get started no matter what they inherited.

With your philosophy you can never get started.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fortunate for Clemson they did not listen to fans like you who say you should not give a coach a fair chance get started no matter what they inherited.

With your philosophy you can never get started.
Swinney was named the interim head football coach on October 13, 2008. With a reputation as a top-notch recruiter, Swinney was chosen. On November 1, 2008, Swinney claimed his first victory as the Tigers' head coach by defeating Boston College, breaking Clemson's six-game losing streak against the Eagles. On November 29, 2008, Swinney coached Clemson to a 31–14 win over South Carolina in the annual rivalry game after which Clemson became bowl eligible.

That's hitting the ground running, and oh yeah not to mention he had a reputation as a top-notch recruiter, something Mullins isn't.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I might buy in just a little to that if the recruiting was going good but it appears we will have a substandard class in the teens most likely.

I do get confused though with some people saying 3 years is not enough to show things are truly on the verge of being good again and many of the same people saying the bad recruiting is due to what we look like on the field. With that reasoning you would never pull yourself out of a hole unless you were just insanely good at beating teams with better talent.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Facts are facts.
Fact is UK does have many NFL prospects and UF is installing a new offense and new defense on a team that went 4-7.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Swinney was named the interim head football coach on October 13, 2008. With a reputation as a top-notch recruiter, Swinney was chosen. On November 1, 2008, Swinney claimed his first victory as the Tigers' head coach by defeating Boston College, breaking Clemson's six-game losing streak against the Eagles. On November 29, 2008, Swinney coached Clemson to a 31–14 win over South Carolina in the annual rivalry game after which Clemson became bowl eligible.

That's hitting the ground running, and oh yeah not to mention he had a reputation as a top-notch recruiter, something Mullins isn't.
Nice try but with your claim that a coach should not be given a fair chance to start and "NO EXCUSES" no matter who they play or what players they inherit, Dabo should have been fired after losing game one of season one at Clemson.

Of course Mullen got SEC coach of the year award before he came to UF. Dabo got ACC coach of the year in his 6th year at Clemson. Good thing Clemson did not use your "no excuses" philosophy after Dabo went 7-5 in year 1.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Facts are facts.
Fact is UK does have many NFL prospects and UF is installing a new offense and new defense on a team that went 4-7.

But you cant hold a coach to a standard based on a team just checking out the year before with the coach fired mid-season.

Though I actually could live with another season that bad the first year if we were killing it in recruiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator