Hot Sauce

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
So.... you don't like it? You said Crystal's was toilet water.
It is... Just like tapatio, the dollar general special. Some of y'all need to step it up a notch.

Bunch of bud light drinkers in here :lol2:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm definitely not a hot sauce lover but i'll use it every now and then. one I really like is tiger sauce. I put it in chili, on pizza, chicken wings, basically everything. its very versatile.

a44141bb-a52a-4699-a7bf-dd2e7592f512_1.8a0f73e6a81a3914e9cb656c341413dd.jpeg
Aint this what jonny trigg uses on his ribs too?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It is... Just like tapatio, the dollar general special. Some of y'all need to step it up a notch.

Bunch of bud light drinkers in here :lol2:
Don't act like Cholula is fine dining, brother. It's good but what else have you offered? I brought some good stuff to start this thread.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Crystal was in every diner in the South forever. You sprinkle it on your scrambled eggs, amp up your chili, spice up your fried chicken, that sort of thing. It's not the best hot sauce, it's what you grew up with.

In the 70's folks would pour pickapeppa over cream cheese and serve with crackers (nowadays people use jalapeno pepper jelly). It's not a "hot" sauce, more of a table condiment. It's great on smoked wings, excellent with pork too.

pickapeppa_original-4.jpg

Alex.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This stuff is amazing and will light your azz up: Matouk's West Indian Flambeau Sauce Hot Sauce, is BY FAR, my fav. From Trinidad and Tobago. It is aged pickled scotch bonnet peppers and some spices. From what I have read, it is one of the hottest sauces without capsaicin extract added. The flavor is incredible and I dont taste the mustard. I accidentally found it in latino super market.

Ingredients: Aged Pickled Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Water, Salt, Modified Corn Starch, Vinegar, Onion Powder, Mustard, Potassium Sorbate, Soybean Oil, Spices, Xanthan Gum, and Colour.

638.jpg

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Don't act like Cholula is fine dining, brother. It's good but what else have you offered? I brought some good stuff to start this thread.
Cholula is one of the most authentic Mexican hot sauces out there, hence its legitimacy. There are many Mexicans that won't use anything else. I used to be married to one. Yep, you did list some good ones, so... Congrats?!?!

Your tapatio contribution, however, was an epic fail. :lol2:

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
th

This is one of my favorites right now. A little sweet heat. Goes great with chicken burritos.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, I've never tasted a "bad" hot sauce.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Crystal was in every diner in the South forever. You sprinkle it on your scrambled eggs, amp up your chili, spice up your fried chicken, that sort of thing. It's not the best hot sauce, it's what you grew up with.

In the 70's folks would pour pickapeppa over cream cheese and serve with crackers (nowadays people use jalapeno pepper jelly). It's not a "hot" sauce, more of a table condiment. It's great on smoked wings, excellent with pork too.

pickapeppa_original-4.jpg

Alex.
I had forgotten about Pickapeppa Sauce. Dat's old school stuff (since 1921). Has a really unique flavor Made in Jamaica, mon and includes some ingredients you don't normally see in a hot sauce like raisins and cane vinegar. I didn't know they made other sauces (they make a red) until I visited their site. They also have a list of island flavored food and drink recipes using their sauces that looks pretty interesting.
http://pickapeppa.com/
"Jamaicans today are decendents of people from around the world who settled on the island and mixed together. Pickapeppa Sauce is produced in much the same way, a combination of fine ingredients selected from seven countries to ensure the best possible quality… a unique blend of tomatoes, onions, sugar, cane vinegar, mangoes, raisins, peppers and spices. This blend is then aged in oak barrels for one full year before bottling to ensure the rich flavor that Pickapeppa’s admirers so love. Only 100% natural ingredients are used. Cane vinegar is used as a preservative."

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have some ass kickin hot sauce and BBQ sauce, pretty tasty.

I used the whole bottle of BBQ along with some seasonings on some baby backs that I smoked, turned out really tasty.
You have a BBQ sauce recipe? Post it? :)

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Haha, not really. I'm a bit of a "let's add a little of this and see what happens" kinda guy. I just seem to have good luck with experimentation.

When I did my ribs i started with a dry rub and a jar of herbs that a buddy of mine made from his garden. The stuff is really hot and great for seasoning burgers, grilled chicken, etc. So I used that and a standard rub, then after they were smoked, i glazed them in the ass kickin sauce and put them on the grill just long enough to give a little char and get the sauce hot and coagulating.

Turned out excellent.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I entered 3 of my pepper sauces in the St Augustine Datil Pepper Festival this year and was fortunate to win with a First Place finish and a check for $50 in the Amateur Division with Cooter's Old Florida Dixie Red Datil Pepper Relish.
The other two sauces I entered were Cooter's Mango Bango Salsa de Barbacoa and Cooter's Wild Currant.
30b2b7f2-c72b-4f23-a349-3a46272cfa69_zpsnefqf6jh.jpg

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Call me old fashioned...

Crystal%20Hot%20Sauce.jpg

Alex.

Like Alex, we always have either a bottle of Crystal or this on hand...

images

I know it isn't fancy, but the Louisiana hot sauces are what's always been used by my folks, whether it is on oysters (raw, fried, or grilled), fish, chicken, or to add a little pep to other sauces and condiments. Somebody mentioned earlier about not being too crazy about the vinegary taste, but that's always kind of added to its appeal.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I entered 3 of my pepper sauces in the St Augustine Datil Pepper Festival this year and was fortunate to win with a First Place finish and a check for $50 in the Amateur Division with Cooter's Old Florida Dixie Red Datil Pepper Relish.
The other two sauces I entered were Cooter's Mango Bango Salsa de Barbacoa and Cooter's Wild Currant.
30b2b7f2-c72b-4f23-a349-3a46272cfa69_zpsnefqf6jh.jpg
Congrats Cooter! Nice photoshop effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator