If we win this weekend vs LSU, is Foley forgiven?

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember last year like it was yesterday. Many people on this board were calling for Foley's job because of the Muschamp hire. With that said, if coach Mac takes us into death valley at night (oh the horror...lol) and comes out with another W after what went down this past weekend, does Foley look like a hero again? Is it still to early to determine? Do you already think coach Mac has done enough for you to forgive Foley? What are your thoughts?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If we go into DV and win with harris at the helm it will be because of the team and coach mac, I dont think foley has much to do with it. As far as the tie that Foley has due to hiring Mac, isn't hiring good coaches sort of his what he's being paid to do? I don't hate Foley, but winning Saturday isnt some sort of vindication of him either.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Foley doesn't need forgiveness. If we win Saturday, people need to realize that this team is a national championship contender, that's all.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If Mac continues doing well(which all signs point to) and Strong/Franklin continue being mediocre, it will appear that waiting to pull the trigger on WM post 2013 was the right move. That said, I'm not sure he didn't fall into that and get a little fortunate. And that's coming from someone who's generally a fan of his.

Also, I'm not sure the Lsu game has that much, or any, bearing on things. We will eventually lose games, and Saturday may be one of those. Doesn't change the fact that this season has been way above expectations.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I like to think of Foley like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
One has nothing to do with the other.

However, I find it odd that many here wanted to blame Foley for Muschamp's failures but refuse to praise Foley for McElwain's successes.

If a select few on here were willing to separate the fact that only the hiring and firing of coaches is on Foley while the successes and failures on the field are NOT on Foley then a bunch of hatred toward Foley would disappear. :exactly:

Flame away...

:chomp:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I'm in disbelief that this is even a question....

Well, actually, no I'm not.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't the Foley board-hate mostly for the too-quick contract extension Foley automatically "awarded" Messedchomp ?

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SGG;n297923 said:
I'm in disbelief that this is even a question....

Well, actually, no I'm not.

Why? Guess you don't remember all of the hate towards Foley the last couple of years when Muschamp was our coach. People were literally calling for his job. LOL I purposely waited until things were going the other way to see if people have changed their tune. I guess you think we should only talk about him when things are bad?

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n297920 said:
One has nothing to do with the other.

However, I find it odd that many here wanted to blame Foley for Muschamp's failures but refuse to praise Foley for McElwain's successes.

If a select few on here were willing to separate the fact that only the hiring and firing of coaches is on Foley while the successes and failures on the field are NOT on Foley then a bunch of hatred toward Foley would disappear. :exactly:

Flame away...

:chomp:

They don't have anything to do with the other, I was just pointing out the fact that if coach Mac can lead us to victory with a "back up" (granted, Treon is more talented than most back ups and almost won the starting QB position over Grier) QB in that place, it means he truly is a lot better than even the most sunshine pumping Gator fan could've hoped for. Well, Foley was the guy who went after him and deserves credit from the same people who called for his job when the other guy was here. Nothing more than that my friend.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n297928 said:
Wasn't the Foley board-hate mostly for the too-quick contract extension Foley automatically "awarded" Messedchomp ?

Along with another contract extension (not earned/deserved) , then not firing on multiple occasions which warranted it...

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's no secret that I'm a huge Foley supporter, but this weekend does nothing for his job security...win or lose. Midway into his first season, Mac appears to be a great hire. Some will never get past the WM debacle while others are totally focused on the future.
Nice to see ya posting again, Alpha.
Go Gators!

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n297937 said:
Along with another contract extension (not earned/deserved) , then not firing on multiple occasions which warranted it...

He got the extension after going 11-2 if I remember correctly. Will Mac deserve one if he does the same this year? I agree though, the way we were winning games in 2012 are completely different then how we are winning them now.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n297920 said:

If a select few on here were willing to separate the fact that only the hiring and firing of coaches is on Foley while the successes and failures on the field are NOT on Foley then a bunch of hatred toward Foley would disappear.
I think you're missing the reason people were mad at foley. Noone expects him to make a national championship level coach hire every time. What people do expect is that when it becomes painfully, and I do mean PAINFULLY obvious to every single person paying attention, that a hire is an absolute dumpster fire, that he do one of the things hes paid to do and that is remove that individual and find someone else.

You seem to be a Foley fan, so how about one of Foley's choice phrases. "What will be done eventually, must be done immediately"

Contract extensions for a guy while the team sucks on the field? Another one after a barely over .500 season? A season where we went 4-8 and were beaten at home by a div 2 team who had less scholly players and MORE injuries to their team than we did at the time, only to give him yet another year???

I see nothing about any of that, that goes along with his favorite phrase. If he really believes what he says he would have canned the chump a long time before he did. THAT is why Foley gets a lot of heat.
And just an FYI, I'm not a Foley hater, think he's a great AD. But facts are facts.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I like to picture Foley in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
the_alphagator1906;n297933 said:
Why? Guess you don't remember all of the hate towards Foley the last couple of years when Muschamp was our coach. People were literally calling for his job. LOL I purposely waited until things were going the other way to see if people have changed their tune. I guess you think we should only talk about him when things are bad?

Playing Devils advocate here.....What if we lose out the rest of the season, would you start blaming Foley?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator