It’s snowing in Gainesville - Or is UF trolling?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Who’s there? Who can vouch? Armageddon.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
KIMG0149.jpg

Not sure about Gainesville but it snowed pretty good about 120 miles north east of there this morning. Performed this masterpiece on one of my employees windshield.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Not sure about Gainesville but it snowed pretty good about 120 miles north east of there this morning. Performed this masterpiece on one of my employees windshield.
She's a real beut Clark!

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I have heard of two times that it Snowed on a friend of mine.

Gville February 9, 1973: Snow falls over the northern portion of the state, including a total of 2.0 inches (51 mm) in Pensacola, with unofficial reports of up to 8 inches (200 mm).

Pompano Beach January 18, 1977: The pressure gradient between a strong ridge over the Mississippi Valley and a Nor'easter over Atlantic Canada sends very cold temperatures southward into the state. Areas around Pensacola are the first to receive the snow, then the rest of The Panhandle. Followed by record accumulations for The Nature Coast, the I-4 corridor (both Orlando and Tampa (one tenth to a quarter inch) receive light accumulations of 1 inch (25 mm) to 2 inches (51 mm) with a few isolated spots reportedly receiving 3 inches (76 mm) to 6 inches (150 mm)), and finally South Florida. By early morning before sunrise on January 19, West Palm Beach reported snow for the first time on record, with snow flurries reaching as far south as Homestead. The snow causes little impact as it was of the dry variety, though the accompanying cold air results in hundreds of millions of dollars in damage (Orlando tied the 1899 record of over six consecutive nights well-below freezing). On January 20, The Miami Herald reports the event as the front page story, with a headline of a size usually reserved for the declaration of war.[27]

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have heard of two times that it Snowed on a friend of mine.

Gville February 9, 1973: Snow falls over the northern portion of the state, including a total of 2.0 inches (51 mm) in Pensacola, with unofficial reports of up to 8 inches (200 mm).

Pompano Beach January 18, 1977: The pressure gradient between a strong ridge over the Mississippi Valley and a Nor'easter over Atlantic Canada sends very cold temperatures southward into the state. Areas around Pensacola are the first to receive the snow, then the rest of The Panhandle. Followed by record accumulations for The Nature Coast, the I-4 corridor (both Orlando and Tampa (one tenth to a quarter inch) receive light accumulations of 1 inch (25 mm) to 2 inches (51 mm) with a few isolated spots reportedly receiving 3 inches (76 mm) to 6 inches (150 mm)), and finally South Florida. By early morning before sunrise on January 19, West Palm Beach reported snow for the first time on record, with snow flurries reaching as far south as Homestead. The snow causes little impact as it was of the dry variety, though the accompanying cold air results in hundreds of millions of dollars in damage (Orlando tied the 1899 record of over six consecutive nights well-below freezing). On January 20, The Miami Herald reports the event as the front page story, with a headline of a size usually reserved for the declaration of war.[27]
Re 1977, the snow started on the campus in the late morning. By the early afternoon the decision was made to cancel classes the rest of the day. It was quite a sight to see people who had never experienced it.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
My wife came home and said she was expecting 8-12 inches. It told her too expect to be disappointed

I've had 4" show up a few days ago and it's still here. Should I call a doctor?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
January 18, 1977

7 yrs old, second grade, school was cancelled. I scraped the whole car and made one snowball. It was magical. Only time I experienced snow until I went to Cleveland when I was 17. I'm over it now.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
7 yrs old, second grade, school was cancelled. I scraped the whole car and made one snowball. It was magical. Only time I experienced snow until I went to Cleveland when I was 17. I'm over it now.

My friend drove around in it, but he was born up north and has a memory of being somewhat buried in snow when he was very young.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Somebody might have had some flurries I supposed. Didn't snow south of Gainesville. Bone chilling wet cold in the low prarie perimeter though. No snow at Keystone visible in afternoon, and friends said they had a lot of rain. Tallahassee had snow this morning. Don't know if it is as much as Mr2bits pic.

I remember the 2 times mentioned by ChiefGator. Had forgotten 1973, Was in Jax. Seems like that was quite a bit of snow once I remembered walking the sidewalks and at the park in Riverside by the St Johns River. In 77, in Gainesville , the snow coated the ground and we scooped up some and built an 8 in snowman on our roomie's car hood.

In 90 or 91 there was a hard freeze that dipped into south Florida. I remember the ice over water protected plants going across state from Dade County past Okeechobee and up to Tampa Bay as I went to family's at Christmas. I thought it snowed in Gville then. Maybe not.

Tally friend said the last time she remembered snow there was 1983.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
View attachment 8506

Looking at a "snowjob", can you say snowjob and nothing else.

My wife came home and said she was expecting 8-12 inches. It told her too expect to be disappointed

... so, you'd already given her a snow-job. Plus, bet she was frigid.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Re 1977, the snow started on the campus in the late morning. By the early afternoon the decision was made to cancel classes the rest of the day. It was quite a sight to see people who had never experienced it.
Remember it well. I was in Economics class and the prof said, "It's snowing in Florida. Class dismissed"

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator