It’s snowing in Gainesville - Or is UF trolling?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Re 1977, the snow started on the campus in the late morning. By the early afternoon the decision was made to cancel classes the rest of the day. It was quite a sight to see people who had never experienced it.
I believe 'Ol Jimmy C. Was being inaugurated as well.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I believe 'Ol Jimmy C. Was being inaugurated as well.
pretty fitting for Mr Turn Down the Thermostat and Put on a Sweater.

Back when I used to believe all the envirolies nonsense the was regurgitated by teachers then, I was scared to death of the impending New Ice Age (it was a Time Magazine cover) amd of course the Peak Oil/End Of Oil Mad Max Apocalypse scheduled to arrive n 1982 or so.

Al Gore certainly perfect environonsence but it has been around for a while.

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Not sure about Gainesville but it snowed pretty good about 120 miles north east of there this morning. Performed this masterpiece on one of my employees windshield.

Where’s that, Adel, GA area?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Somebody might have had some flurries I supposed. Didn't snow south of Gainesville. Bone chilling wet cold in the low prarie perimeter though. No snow at Keystone visible in afternoon, and friends said they had a lot of rain. Tallahassee had snow this morning. Don't know if it is as much as Mr2bits pic.

I remember the 2 times mentioned by ChiefGator. Had forgotten 1973, Was in Jax. Seems like that was quite a bit of snow once I remembered walking the sidewalks and at the park in Riverside by the St Johns River. In 77, in Gainesville , the snow coated the ground and we scooped up some and built an 8 in snowman on our roomie's car hood.

In 90 or 91 there was a hard freeze that dipped into south Florida. I remember the ice over water protected plants going across state from Dade County past Okeechobee and up to Tampa Bay as I went to family's at Christmas. I thought it snowed in Gville then. Maybe not.

Tally friend said the last time she remembered snow there was 1983.

I’m 99.99% certain it was 1990...and it was cold as penguin balls. I was living in Orlando at the time and recollect it got into the teens and snowed, although not too much.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m 99.99% certain it was 1990...and it was cold as penguin balls. I was living in Orlando at the time and recollect it got into the teens and snowed, although not too much.
Dec 89 the night of graduation. Lots of ice. Some sleet and snow.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Re 1977, the snow started on the campus in the late morning. By the early afternoon the decision was made to cancel classes the rest of the day. It was quite a sight to see people who had never experienced it.
I was sitting in a class in the old Fla gym. We saw it through the windows and all jumped up to see and go outside. The professor asked what was the big deal. I said "you must not be from around here". It was the most snow I ever saw in Gville.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
My wife and daughter drove home to Casselberry from Jacksonville, NC yesterday. It’s an 8.5 hour drive plus stops normally. They left at 7am and got here about 2:30am this morning - 19.5 hours later. They were stuck almost 4 hours on I-95 just north of Savannah.

Very thankful they are safely home.

They went up for my daughter’s boyfriend’s graduation from Marine Combat Training. Proud of him!

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Dec 89 the night of graduation. Lots of ice. Some sleet and snow.

That night I picked up relatives from Tampa airport. I nearly busted it slipping on a large patch of ice in the parking garage.

That was a very hard night for the citrus industry. After that night, most production north of US 60 ended.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
It was 89, I remember leaving work late at night and rolled down my window to clean off my mirror and a sheet of ice remained. I75 iced over along with Archer road, it was a mess for a few hours. A dusting of snow.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was sitting in a class in the old Fla gym. We saw it through the windows and all jumped up to see and go outside. The professor asked what was the big deal. I said "you must not be from around here". It was the most snow I ever saw in Gville.

We weren't far apart. I was in a journalism class in the west end of the stadium. No one was paying much attention to the class because of what was going on outside. It was amazing to walk out into snow flurries. It was one helluva festive mood.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
About '59. it snowed overnite in Jax, We force open the bus window to scrape the snow off the bus' roof. Snowballs were flying inside the bus. He pulled over and let us out to have a bonafide snowball fight in Florida. Chasing a target , the snowball melted, refroze into a ball of rock-hard solid ice.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
So young to posting and already so wise, CB.

I’m a veteran of other boards - I know how the game is played. Decided to look around for a new posting community after some managerial adjustments at my previous posting site. Plus, this site’s app is very convenient.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I’m a veteran of other boards - I know how the game is played. Decided to look around for a new posting community after some managerial adjustments at my previous posting site. Plus, this site’s app is very convenient.

I'm a vagabond of several other boards too -- I go around causing managerial problems. Ox's assignment tapes always self-destruct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator