It's all about the QB

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n80359 said:
...a Defensive Head Coach, with the talent we have. Shouldn't allow two plays of 3 and 20+ make first downs at critical moments.

You know what's really sad? When we had them at 3rd and 25 I had a feeling...no, I just knew that somehow, we'd screw it up and they'd convert. I felt it in my gut.

Big time D's make big time stops when it matters. We've been unable to do that. And it's really an indictment on what we've become and what we've come to expect that in THAT moment...on THIRD and TWENTY FIVE, with the game on the line, I knew, I mean I just knew they would somehow convert. And I bet I wasn't the only one that had that gut wrenching feeling. That's what our program has become...and it's sickening.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n80576 said:
You know what's really sad? When we had them at 3rd and 25 I had a feeling...no, I just knew that somehow, we'd screw it up and they'd convert. I felt it in my gut.

Big time D's make big time stops when it matters. We've been unable to do that. And it's really an indictment on what we've become and what we've come to expect that in THAT moment...on THIRD and TWENTY FIVE, with the game on the line, I knew, I mean I just knew they would somehow convert. And I bet I wasn't the only one that had that gut wrenching feeling. That's what our program has become...and it's sickening.

I expected it to be a defensive holding or pass interference. But had the feeling it was going to be converted.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n80578 said:
I expected it to be a defensive holding or pass interference. But had the feeling it was going to be converted.

Well it would have been converted even if the pass was not caught. There was a Personal Foul call on the defense during that play also.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n80582 said:
Well it would have been converted even if the pass was not caught. There was a Personal Foul call on the defense during that play also.

You're right. Absolutely pathetic.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n80582 said:

forgot about that.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That's right... hands to the face... although that would have only been 15 yards and not 40, but it still would have kept the D on the field.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n80876 said:
That's right... hands to the face... although that would have only been 15 yards and not 40, but it still would have kept the D on the field.

But doesn't it come with an automatic 1st down?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n80883 said:
But doesn't it come with an automatic 1st down?

As far as I'm aware, personal fouls aren't automatic first downs. Pass Interference is however. Unless something changed recently that I'm unaware of...

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n81173 said:
As far as I'm aware, personal fouls aren't automatic first downs. Pass Interference is however. Unless something changed recently that I'm unaware of...

Ok, so the guy doesn't catch the pass, it would have been 3rd and 10. LSU most likely would have converted that.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
NavetG8r;n81173 said:

No, that would've been a first down. Personal fouls are automatic.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n81241 said:
No, that would've been a first down. Personal fouls are automatic.

Are they really? Well, I guess next thing we know, all penalties will be automatic first downs. Hey, why not? Let's just start giving the offenses automatic first downs any time the defense farts. No wonder we're seeing such high scores in football these days. The rules are designed to puff up the scoreboards.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n81251 said:
Are they really? Well, I guess next thing we know, all penalties will be automatic first downs. Hey, why not? Let's just start giving the offenses automatic first downs any time the defense farts. No wonder we're seeing such high scores in football these days. The rules are designed to puff up the scoreboards.

Those can be foul and are pretty personal, so 1st and 10.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
NavetG8r;n81251 said:
You didn't know this? Hell, it doesn't have to even be a personal foul to give them an automatic first. Illegal contact and defensive holding are not personal fouls, nor 15 yarders, but still automatic firsts. Rules heavily favor the offense other than offensive holding, which I think is a very harsh punishment for the crime.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n81253 said:
You didn't know this? Hell, it doesn't have to even be a personal foul to give them an automatic first. Illegal contact and defensive holding are not personal fouls, nor 15 yarders, but still automatic firsts. Rules heavily favor the offense other than offensive holding, which I think is a very harsh punishment for the crime.

I think offensive holding should be an automatic turn-over. What's good for the goose...

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
NavetG8r;n81251 said:

I've always thought that Holding being a 10 yard penalty is a bit extreme. For something that can be called on virtually every play, it not only wipes out whatever gain (makes sense), but then backs the offense up to a 1st and 20, often killing any chance of that drive going anywhere.

It amazes me how many commentators still don't get the Intentional Grounding penalty, and what "loss of down" means. Just about every year, someone will talk about how the QB should've just taken a sack because they also lose the down. It's the same thing!!:gah:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
yes it is an auto first down, but it is 15 yards vs. 44 yards so it gives us a better chance of getting a stop.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n81338 said:
yes it is an auto first down, but it is 15 yards vs. 44 yards so it gives us a better chance of getting a stop.

And definitely doesn't put them in FG range.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n81342 said:
And definitely doesn't put them in FG range.

They scored the TD after this drive when Poole PI's and didn't cover one on one.... I felt like he should have been able to pick that ball to be honest... he was in good position when the pass was thrown then just got beat...

Anytime a team has to go further... even after getting a first down it is a good thing :-)

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
From the Gatorsports article about Max Garcia:
Q: Why do you think the coaches have decided to give Treon Harris a shot?
A: He makes a lot of plays in practice. The team, we always say, “What can he do in the game?” It's kind of speculation. I think that's what it really comes down to. You see him making a lot of plays in practice so you want to see how that transitions to the field. Will he have the same opportunities? Can he make the same plays in the game? I think that's what it's really about, just seeing him and what he can do if he has a lot of potential and upside. I think that, as a team, we really want to see what he can do. I love what he brings to the game, how fast he is and his arm. I'm just really excited to see him out there.

The good news is that he doesn't bash Jeff Driskel. The bad news is that he doesn't even mention him. From reading between the lines, using language like "we always say 'what can he do'" and "as a team, we really want to see" shows strong united belief from the players that it's time for a QB change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.