Jacob Guy as our Starting QB?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n202735 said:
To be honest, from what ive seen (or havent seen) from harris so far coupled with what now appears to be a lot of overhype for a redshirt fresh who throws it in the dirt all too often, im fine with a walk-on coming in and slinging it. I saw enough last year from harris that I dont think hes much of an actual passing threat, just a decent athlete which is why the last regime went with him, ala driskel. Cant pass huh? Can you scramble? Really? You can?!?! Your'e the starter!!!

Get someone in there that can take control, exude some confidence and make some 3rd down throws, I dont give a sh*t if its happy gilmore behind center. Just make some plays for a change.

I think Harris could be an offensive weapon, just not as a passer. He was very elusive running the ball. Not sure he is physical enough to play slot or rb for more than a handful of play tho

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n202647 said:
May the best man win. If it's Guy, fine.
Definitely, I don't care if the punter is able to get back there and run the offense the way Mac needs it done. We need the best Guy who is capable of making the throws, reading the defense, moving the offense, more power to him.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt he is a threat to become the starter in reality. You always hear stuff like this from camp and even more usually when most of the practice time is off limits. It wouldn't surprise me if the Grier Harris competition isn't as close as people think either.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n202790 said:
sweet av! ONE, TWO, THREEEE AH AH AH!!!

[video=youtube;B-Wd-Q3F8KM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Wd-Q3F8KM[/video]

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Gator Fever;n202756 said:
I doubt he is a threat to become the starter in reality. You always hear stuff like this from camp and even more usually when most of the practice time is off limits. It wouldn't surprise me if the Grier Harris competition isn't as close as people think either.

It is impossible to know whether this is coach speak to push Grier and Harris or if this is reality. Only time will tell. I like him better as our starter than Treon.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n202735 said:
To be honest, from what ive seen (or havent seen) from harris so far coupled with what now appears to be a lot of overhype for a redshirt fresh who throws it in the dirt all too often....

This is based on what? A single report from the first 30 minutes from one spring practice?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n202798 said:
It is impossible to know whether this is coach speak to push Grier and Harris or if this is reality. Only time will tell. I like him better as our starter than Treon.

I have a feeling Harris is in the lead even after missing those practices. These writers love feeding the QB battle stories and McElwain wants to push them both.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
We won't know much until the real season starts. I can't see Treon being ahead after missing practice but his capabilities were not well known by working with the past staff.

Whoever can in real time make the correct reads, deliver the ball on time, and lead the team will be the winner. Whoever that might be will be determined later and somewhat by whatever happens during the summer.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n202806 said:
Man, we Gator fans are fickle, aren't we?

Ive never claimed I thought grier was some stud, the most Ive said is I hope he lives up to the bill or that he's at least better than harris. And yes, the info that we have to go off so far doesnt sound impressive, large sample size or not. If you have more info please share, otherwise my opinion remains the same :proud:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Guy is a 3* QB who had offers from mostly mid major conferences. Wouldn't surprise me if he was a late bloomer, it happens all the time. I hope Grier lives up to the hype, because it was a lot. Regardless, it sounds like Guy is a legit option, and no one is talking about Morningwood. I would be absolutely shocked if Harris is the starter at QB. I just don't see him as a fit in the system at QB. I also don't see him as an NFL QB, so a position change may benefit him in the long run.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think this is awesome. The young guys are being pushed by two older guys, one a 4th year walk-on, the other the son of a prominent NFL assistant. Competition will only make them all better.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n202846 said:
Guy is a 3* QB who had offers from mostly mid major conferences. Wouldn't surprise me if he was a late bloomer, it happens all the time. I hope Grier lives up to the hype, because it was a lot. Regardless, it sounds like Guy is a legit option, and no one is talking about Morningwood. I would be absolutely shocked if Harris is the starter at QB. I just don't see him as a fit in the system at QB. I also don't see him as an NFL QB, so a position change may benefit him in the long run.

Why would you be shocked? He played as a true freshman under real bad circumstances with the team at the time and later in the year had a banged up knee and hand at various times. As far as the system goes it sounds like it will be mostly pro set stuff that he should be able to handle. Also only about 20% of those top 10 QBs even end up legit starters in big time college football so we really don't know much about Grier now especially with the closed practices.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n202877 said:
Why would you be shocked? He played as a true freshman under real bad circumstances with the team at the time and later in the year had a banged up knee and hand at various times. As far as the system goes it sounds like it will be mostly pro set stuff that he should be able to handle. Also only about 20% of those top 10 QBs even end up legit starters in big time college football so we really don't know much about Grier now especially with the closed practices.

Fev, I think the fact that the offense is mostly pro set stuff is the reason why he and others including myself are doubtful about harris. We dont think hes that good of a passer, more of a make sometihng happen outside the pocket backyard style guy.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n202879 said:
Fev, I think the fact that the offense is mostly pro set stuff is the reason why he and others including myself are doubtful about harris. We dont think hes that good of a passer, more of a make sometihng happen outside the pocket backyard style guy.

He probably does fit a spread offense better but I still think he may have the upper hand due to past experience. It would be nice to see some actual practices. I would love it if Grier ended up real good but I want to see it first before I will believe it. It would be nice if there was an actual reliable source that knew what was really going on so far with the QB situation because I doubt McElwain officially announces a starter until about a week prior to our first game.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Harris very well could be the guy. Manziel was a boob and he won a Heisman. My preference is tall, strong-armed pocket passers. That is what I like. But quarterbacks who can run around and throw it like Harris can do a lot of damage in the college game. I don't see Harris changing positions as all like someone mentioned. He can start somewhere. He'll transfer before changing positions. Look at Tyler Murphy. He started for BC and Treon is miles ahead of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator