Joe Montana / Tom Brady: Namath Speaks

Gatorwitt

Founding Member
Hugh Jassole
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin, couldn't you have just asked "Who's Better"? Instead of writing 3 paragraphs asking the exact same thing?

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorwitt;n176914 said:
Alvin, couldn't you have just asked "Who's Better"? Instead of writing 3 paragraphs asking the exact same thing?

Yes, I could have but my Mother Teresa spirit of humanity guided me to use statistics to better inform our unfortunate less educated jort clad folks of the sunshine state.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n176918 said:
Yes, I could have but my Mother Teresa spirit of humanity guided me to use statistics to better inform our unfortunate less educated jort clad folks of the sunshine state.

This should keep you busy for a while, but don't pull that little fella off!

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n176721 said:
Perhaps. Perhaps not.

What astonishes me is Montana's average QB rating of 127.8 along with 11 touchdowns with no interceptions. I don't think those records will ever be broken.

We already know that Brady has more post season wins, but another thing I forgot to mention that Brady also has significantly more regular season wins (43 more) than Montana. And that's with Brady playing 15 seasons and Montana 16. Interesting that they both have the same number of losses (47), but the win to loss ratio isn't even close. Looks like Montana was more injury prone than Brady since he had played fewer games, so that probably hurt Montana's total win record. Still it is unlikely that he'd have more wins than Brady.

Anyways, when you compare both regular and post season stats and records, Brady clearly has the upper hand.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n176967 said:
We already know that Brady has more post season wins, but another thing I forgot to mention that Brady also has significantly more regular season wins (43 more) than Montana. And that's with Brady playing 15 seasons and Montana 16. Interesting that they both have the same number of losses (47), but the win to loss ratio isn't even close. Looks like Montana was more injury prone than Brady since he had played fewer games, so that probably hurt Montana's total win record. Still it is unlikely that he'd have more wins than Brady.

Anyways, when you compare both regular and post season stats and records, Brady clearly has the upper hand.

Brady also plays in an era where it's illegal to hit the quarterback. Montana would get crushed by defenses...

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n176763 said:
Another issue is that Montana benefited from a system that was way ahead of everybody else.

Settle down, I'm now saying Montana was a system QB. He would have thrived on any other team in the NFL during his era (or any other era).

BUT...he did have the advantage of being in this system that revolutionized passing offenses in the NFL. It really wasn't until the advent of the zone blitz scheme and the Tampa Cover 2 defense that defenses caught up with the West Coast offense.

When Bill Walsh first rolled that thing out it was unstoppable.

Additionally, Montana had Jerry Rice and Roger Craig. Both perfect for that offense. Even on defense he had Ronnie Lott.

Brady won Super Bowls with a lot of average talent around him but he played in an NFL with a lot of average teams in it. Montana was on a great team that had to play against a few other great teams.

The only way to answer this question is to reverse their roles, imagine Tom Brady as the Niners QB in the 80's and 90's and Joe Montana as the Pats QB in the 00's and 10's.

I think Brady does the same or a bit better as a Bill Walsh Niner. I think Montana does a shade worse as a Belichik Patriot.

Alex.

Insightful.

Yes, Montana was fortunate to have his career intersect the rising of the West Coast Offense as envisioned by innovative Bill Walsh. Joe had Jerry Rice. It can't be overstated the dude had Jerry Rice to catch his passes. He also had a clutch virtual 4th receiver in running back, Roger Craig along with an unsung, all pro tight end.

There's another big advantage for Joe Montana. He did not have to face larger number of good teams that Brady had to endure because of the parity built into today's NFL by the draft, free agency and other factors.

Gatorwitt

Founding Member
Hugh Jassole
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n176918 said:

Mother Teresa was an idiot, and not a good person

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
CapitalGator02;n177071 said:
Forgot about Luck. He is leaps and bounds better than Manning. Add him to my list too

Florida folks!

Man, you just will not give Peyton a break, will you? Sometimes I think your hate is so all consuming you would rather join Isis than admit Peyton Manning was one of the great quarterbacks of this era.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n177089 said:
Florida folks!

Man, you just will not give Peyton a break, will you? Sometimes I think your hate is so all consuming you would rather join Isis than admit Peyton Manning was one of the great quarterbacks of this era.

Like you've seen for yourself, Peyton is nothing more than a stat padder. He folds like a cheap tent when it counts.

Hotrod

Founding Member
R.I.P.
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York was a true American hero who the whole country and the state of Tenn. should be justly proud of and honor. You using his name is an injustice to his honor and memory. Stop boring us with your stupid rhetoric. I can't even remember the last time the Vols beat the Gators. Go away and don't come back until you have something intelligent to say. If I use the word intelligent that means you will never be back.:bananawave:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hotrod;n177239 said:
Alvin York was a true American hero who the whole country and the state of Tenn. should be justly proud of and honor. You using his name is an injustice to his honor and memory. Stop boring us with your stupid rhetoric. I can't even remember the last time the Vols beat the Gators. Go away and don't come back until you have something intelligent to say. If I use the word intelligent that means you will never be back.:bananawave:

You are correct. Having the Dork associated with an American Hero and his bullshat are definitely an injustice.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Who gained status as the first quarterback SUPERSTAR in American sports?

Who is the one man most responsible for making the Super Bowl the all star extravaganza it is today?

Who is the controversial player who brazenly predicted his underdog team would accomplish the impossible and defeat a an invincible juggernaut NFL football team that was touted to be the best of all time?

His name was Joseph William Namath, the quarterback who engineered in New York Jets team to take out the mighty Baltimore Colts thereby giving instant parity to the AFL with the NFL and giving birth to a viable contested Super Bowl between the teams of the Old Guard NFL and the upstart AFL.

Now Namath has waded into the debate about Joe Montana and Tom Brady. Who is the greatest quarterback. What do YOU say, Joe?

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl...image_18270188

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/13/joe-namath-tom-brady-super-bowl-xlix-nfl/

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The heroic Sergeant Alvin York used absolutely no rhetoric.
In fact, I think this York has been captured by Sergeant York.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This thread has run its course, time for solitary.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know the scales are starting to dip in Brady's favor but I just can't get past these numbers Montana accumulated from 4 Super Bowls.....
11 Touchdowns
0 Interceptions
127.8 QB Rating

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Brady's a lock for the Hall, but the pick here is solid for Montana, the most clutch and efficient passer I've ever seen.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Much harder to win Super Bowls now. But there are more QB and offense friendly rules.

Both are the best of their generations. Just like Unitas was the best of his. Brady isn't tainted but his legacy is tainted with Spygate. He would have to win 2 more because of that to be #1. Which sounds absurd but it really shows how great he, Montana, and Unitas are. That we're talking 6 Super Bowl victories (8 appearances at least) to be crowned as the best ever demonstrates how high the bar is.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n178468 said:
Much harder to win Super Bowls now. But there are more QB and offense friendly rules.

Both are the best of their generations. Just like Unitas was the best of his. Brady isn't tainted but his legacy is tainted with Spygate. He would have to win 2 more because of that to be #1. Which sounds absurd but it really shows how great he, Montana, and Unitas are. That we're talking 6 Super Bowl victories (8 appearances at least) to be crowned as the best ever demonstrates how high the bar is.

Remember, Johnny U played when there relatively few cities touting NFL franchises plus only a few organizations could produce competitive championship caliber teams. Do you really think Unitas could decipher the complicated defenses and deal with the rampant parity in this era of the National Football League? I really don't know. Just asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator