Just for grins, let's go head coach shopping

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Of all the names mentioned Gundy is probably the one that is the most realistic. I like DJ a lot, but he just isn't ready quite yet. 16 months from now could be a different story though. I don't think for a second Gundy would turn down the UF job if it was offered. He doesn't particularly get along with the AD at OSU, and although T Boone has very deep pockets if Gundy wants out there is great option for him here at Florida. I'd love to be wrong and for us to have a great season, but we look like a 7-5/8-4 bunch at best.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Of all the names mentioned Gundy is probably the one that is the most realistic. I like DJ a lot, but he just isn't ready quite yet. 16 months from now could be a different story though. I don't think for a second Gundy would turn down the UF job if it was offered. He doesn't particularly get along with the AD at OSU, and although T Boone has very deep pockets if Gundy wants out there is great option for him here at Florida. I'd love to be wrong and for us to have a great season, but we look like a 7-5/8-4 bunch at best.

He is no longer a man, he is no longer 40.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Quinn? Are y'all being serious?

We really are starting to sound like Vol fans. The guy is a successful head coach in the NFL and y'all think he's going to leave to come to UF? LOL

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
upload_2017-9-6_14-45-39-jpeg.7046

gatormandan forked over the above ^^

... Post that on Facebook & Twitter with those bills stacked in the configuration of a U & a F. and include a list of top-choice to bottom "longed-for" rescuing HCs. What's wrong with including a huge 1st &/or 2nd year bonus for a 1-loss season? Along with a humongous 1st thru 4th year bonus for an NC. Get UF atop the Top-5 heap and our hotbed of recruiting will keep us there.

Also, get AD-thinking/planning smart enough to match UF's academic respectability = make it part of the new HC's duties to bring in the very best HC-in-waiting and train him to take over so our super-successful HC hire can leave without bequething us a program that's a Problem. We gotta get back to the top and take insurances that we never fall to the bottom of the well again -- that's my bucket list.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
UF is a Top 5 college job, arguably the best. He's familiar with Gainesville, so that should help as well. Just depends if he wants to stay in the NFL or take more money and come here. I'm not a millionaire, but I'd rather live here than Atlanta.

This guy just came within a few seconds of winning the Super Bowl. He is currently at the pinnacle of his profession, the most powerful sports league in the country, maybe the world.

Unlike Spurrier he is not a UF hero/legend coming back home (same as for Harbaugh to his alma mater). He makes lots of money already. Do you think another 2-4 million dollars is enough to entice him to come coach against the Northern Colorado's of the world? College football would be a step down.

I would love to have Quinn in charge (and am not against asking and offering) but anyone who doesn't root for the Gators would think this idea to be ludicrous.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Quinn? Are y'all being serious?

We really are starting to sound like Vol fans. The guy is a successful head coach in the NFL and y'all think he's going to leave to come to UF? LOL
Quinn isnt my flavor but Bammer hired Saban and meatchikn hired Booger. They werent "available" according to Fooley think.

We need to flush Fooleythink. It is too damn expensive to buynthese "bargain".

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This guy just came within a few seconds of winning the Super Bowl. He is currently at the pinnacle of his profession, the most powerful sports league in the country, maybe the world.

Unlike Spurrier he is not a UF hero/legend coming back home (same as for Harbaugh to his alma mater). He makes lots of money already. Do you think another 2-4 million dollars is enough to entice him to come coach against the Northern Colorado's of the world? College football would be a step down.

I would love to have Quinn in charge (and am not against asking and offering) but anyone who doesn't root for the Gators would think this idea to be ludicrous.

Not to mention, Quinn loved it here so much that he after 2 years he took the exact same position with the Seahawks that he'd had before for his stint with UF, reportedly because he liked the PacNW that much better. I'd certainly take him, but agree he's a longshot at best.

To your point about Spurrier, that's always been my thoughts on Tebow. The old expression "those who can, do..those who can't, teach" comes to mind. Heisman winner, unable to make it in the league, but ultra competitive and still drawn to the game. Let's get him out of baseball and the media, and get his coaching career started.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was with you on that first paragraph then you went insane.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I was woth you on that first paragraph then you went insane.

Assuming you're talking to me. Perhaps I wasn't clear with my Tebow part. I'm not suggesting we hire him into coaching. Just that maybe that's his future, similar to Spurrier, and his story ends in like manner here some time down the line.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Not to mention, Quinn loved it here so much that he after 2 years he took the exact same position with the Seahawks that he'd had before for his stint with UF, reportedly because he liked the PacNW that much better. I'd certainly take him, but agree he's a longshot at best.

To your point about Spurrier, that's always been my thoughts on Tebow. The old expression "those who can, do..those who can't, teach" comes to mind. Heisman winner, unable to make it in the league, but ultra competitive and still drawn to the game. Let's get him out of baseball and the media, and get his coaching career started.

I thought he went back to DC and was just their DL coach his first time.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I thought he went back to DC and was just their DL coach his first time.

You're correct. It was lateral from here to there, but he did take a better position than he originally had.

My point was more that he didn't seem to like it here all that much. Who knows, maybe he just hated WM.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dan Quinn just took the Falcons to within a touchdown of a Super Bowl win. I love you guys, but it's a pipe dream to think he'd return here anytime soon, and that's no dis on UF. We helped his career, but he's moved on.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Quinn at UF - $1MM over two years
Quinn at Seattle (DC) - $5.7MM over three years

What would you do? Would you take that "lateral" move?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well if Dan Quinn is now a possible candidate we might as well go after Bill Belichik. Let's spend the money to make sure we get the best!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't we been down this path before? We always assume the biggest names want to come here when the reality is it's more a seller's market than buyer's. I don't envy the person(s) who make the next pick. It's going to take equal parts due diligence, money, timing and luck. The bigger the money, the glitzier, though at a risk.

Godspeed, Gators.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't we been down this path before? We always assume the biggest names want to come here when the reality is it's more a seller's market than buyer's. I don't envy the person(s) who make the next pick. It's going to take equal parts due diligence, money, timing and luck. The bigger the money, the glitzier, though at a risk.

Godspeed, Gators.
Yeah, as much as we went change, it's still a crapshoot unless you're able to get who you know you want. Timing is crucial more often than not.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, as much as we went change, it's still a crapshoot unless you're able to get who you know you want. Timing is crucial more often than not.
It is. Just like last time I'd prefer to keep an interim coach if necessary and wait for the right hire rather than blowing 30 million on the next sockless idiot that walks by.

Last edited:

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
IMG_3297.PNG FWIW, OSU (pokes) is one of my alma maters. I'm not sure if Gundy would leave his alma mater. They love him in Stillwater and he can do just what he's doing there year after year with not much pressure and some of the best financial backing in the country in T. Boone Pickens.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator