Just for grins, let's go head coach shopping

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
I'm not convinced that the administration is going to open its pocket book enough to bring in a top tier candidate. With that said, if they found the cojones and fired Mac would you be satisfied with a Plan B/C type guy like a Pep Hamilton (no HC experience, but strong OC credentials) or a Kevin Wilson (mediocre HC win-loss resume, but incredible production on offense as both an HC and OC); or would you prefer the status quo? Personally I'd be happy to take a flyer on a Plan B or even C and role the dice rather than continue down this road.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not convinced that the administration is going to open its pocket book enough to bring in a top tier candidate.
I'd prefer we finally fire all the admin, clean out the stench of Fooley for good.

Get rid of the attitude that we have to shop for coaches in the factory second pile.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Kelly didn't have any interest in coming back to college when he thought he would get a job in the NFL he interviewed for a couple of jobs and got turned down.
Unless he's just not interested in coaching again college football is his only option.
He's not an NFL coach and never will be again.

I tend to agree but he is getting paid to be on TV, probably has a lot of money so he does not need a job, and by my understanding would be a very long shot to come to UF.

I did suggest Ox ask him, but perhaps we should ask an employee of the Sun instead.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Any 1950s option or I formation guy (Fuentes or Tressel junior at Minnesota) should be nonstarters.

Dude Fuente is not an option guy; he is a conformist to his talent.

Paxton Lynch put up big numbers in the air. His current QB is a dual threat guy.

You're higher than a kite if you think he wouldnt be a good fit with the athletes in this state

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I tend to agree but he is getting paid to be on TV, probably has a lot of money so he does not need a job, and by my understanding would be a very long shot to come to UF.

I did suggest Ox ask him, but perhaps we should ask an employee of the Sun instead.
I texted him earlier. Just waiting on his reply.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
From Wikipedia

NCAA sanctions
On April 16, 2013, The Oregonian reported that the University of Oregon has offered to put its football program on two years probation in response to NCAA violations that allegedly took place during Kelly's tenure as head coach.[19] On June 26, 2013 the NCAA Committee on Infractions issued its report concluding the investigation into Oregon's use of football scouting services. Oregon received 3 years of probation, reduction of scholarships, but no bowl ban. Kelly received an 18-month show-cause penalty, which would make his hiring by another NCAA institution difficult; Kelly had already left the NCAA for the NFL.[20]

His penalty is over but perhaps this might be a concern to UF management.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
From Wikipedia

NCAA sanctions
On April 16, 2013, The Oregonian reported that the University of Oregon has offered to put its football program on two years probation in response to NCAA violations that allegedly took place during Kelly's tenure as head coach.[19] On June 26, 2013 the NCAA Committee on Infractions issued its report concluding the investigation into Oregon's use of football scouting services. Oregon received 3 years of probation, reduction of scholarships, but no bowl ban. Kelly received an 18-month show-cause penalty, which would make his hiring by another NCAA institution difficult; Kelly had already left the NCAA for the NFL.[20]

His penalty is over but perhaps this might be a concern to UF management.
So the 18-month period has passed and there's no longer a show-cause penalty? If that's true, all the people saying he's still facing penalties are full of :kiffin:

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
So the 18-month period has passed and there's no longer a show-cause penalty? If that's true, all the people saying he's still facing penalties are full of :kiffin:

I don't know if such actually runs while you are employed by the NFL, but I would assume it does. He spent some seasons (three I believe) in the NFL so it should be over. Perhaps somebody knows for sure.

I did see a list of potential places we were not on it, I also saw TAM fans with the same idea.

Time will tell, but I don't think Mac is the answer, he looks more like a failure.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Also from wikipedia Kelly's show-cause expired on December 26, 2014 So if correct not an official issue, but might be an informal strike against him coming here.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The only name that really excites me to replace Mac right now would be Quinn. Otherwise, let him stay on, provided the recruiting doesn't go to shyt, but Nuss needs to go. I remember us firing Zook midseason so we could get in on the Meyer sweepstakes early. If we don't see someone who would be a no brainer, then we wait until we do. We gave Muschamp one season too long and the coaching well was dry. I don't think Quinn would come back here, but he makes $4.5MM. We can beat that. What would you say to offering Quinn $6MM/year?

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
Dan Quinn is an interesting choice and someone who hasn't been named yet. He's done well here at UF, with Seattle,and in Atlanta. I'd be on board with that.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
He's making $4.5MM, what would you be okay with UF offering in order to find out? $6MM? $7MM?

I would love it, assuming we are finally done paying the chimp and hee-haw. I just picture him as an NFL guy who choked away the super bowl and has something to prove.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Is Quinn's current position as an NFL head coach more prestigious than the head coaching job at Florida? Why would a coach leave a job where there are only 32 others like him to be one of 128? Every major sports network talks about the NFL every day for twelve months out of the year. College football is popular but it's not the NFL.

Can't see any chance that he would take a step down....which is how anyone not connected with UF would view that job change.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would love it, assuming we are finally done paying the chimp and hee-haw. I just picture him as an NFL guy who choked away the super bowl and has something to prove.
Don't get me wrong, I have no reason to think he'd want to leave Atlanta, but to the point some on here have said, make him tell you no, and make that no as hard as humanly possible

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is Quinn's current position as an NFL head coach more prestigious than the head coaching job at Florida? Why would a coach leave a job where there are only 32 others like him to be one of 128? Every major sports network talks about the NFL every day for twelve months out of the year. College football is popular but it's not the NFL.

Can't see any chance that he would take a step down....which is how anyone not connected with UF would view that job change.
UF is a Top 5 college job, arguably the best. He's familiar with Gainesville, so that should help as well. Just depends if he wants to stay in the NFL or take more money and come here. I'm not a millionaire, but I'd rather live here than Atlanta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator