Just for grins, let's go head coach shopping

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
This guy just came within a few seconds of winning the Super Bowl. He is currently at the pinnacle of his profession, the most powerful sports league in the country, maybe the world.

Unlike Spurrier he is not a UF hero/legend coming back home (same as for Harbaugh to his alma mater). He makes lots of money already. Do you think another 2-4 million dollars is enough to entice him to come coach against the Northern Colorado's of the world? College football would be a step down.

I would love to have Quinn in charge (and am not against asking and offering) but anyone who doesn't root for the Gators would think this idea to be ludicrous.

And all rational Gator fans as well.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It is. Just like last time I'd prefer to keep an interim coach if necessary and wait for the right hire rather than blowing 30 million on the next sockless idiot that walks by.

It would be pretty hard to recruit with an interim.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We really haven't been doing much of that anyway. This class is toast unless we can get the offense going.
What about the next class? Gonna have to someone in here to somewhat salvage this class and hopefully bring in a top 5 class next year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It would be pretty hard to recruit with an interim.
No worse than recruiting with a piece of shyt on the hotseat that everyone knows is getting fired next year, and no worse than hiring a second piece of shyt from the WAC that no recruit has ever heard of.

It isnt ideal, no doubt but its the lesser of two evils. It worked well for OSU last time, didnt it?

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No worse than recruiting with a piece of shyt on the hotseat that everyone knows is getting fired next year. And no worse than hiring a second piece of shyt from the WAC that no recruit has ever heard of.

It isnt ideal, no doubt but its the lesser of two evils. It worked well for OSU last time, didnt it.
But osu got an exemption from the ncaa that allowed Meyer to recruit early. So he was able to start mid season. Also, tressel was fired after signing day so there was really no dip in recruiting. We're going to have to hire somebody. Not the best market but probably this time around than last time.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You're almost always going to take a hit in recruiting during a transition year. It's gotta happen sooner or later.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

I just read this article on Riley at OU. Honestly I hadn't heard much about this dude. Will be looking with great interest at how he does against Cryer this weekend. Not like he's gonna leave OU for this place but a guy like this, and up and comer, is really what I'd like to see. At least with a young guy you have to think that even if they have some setbacks they are still learning, rather than an older guy with a proven track record of crappy offense. Also, you really have to think a guy like this can recruit like crazy.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

I just read this article on Riley at OU. Honestly I hadn't heard much about this dude. Will be looking with great interest at how he does against Cryer this weekend. Not like he's gonna leave OU for this place but a guy like this, and up and comer, is really what I'd like to see. At least with a young guy you have to think that even if they have some setbacks they are still learning, rather than an older guy with a proven track record of crappy offense. Also, you really have to think a guy like this can recruit like crazy.
I don't have a problem with a young guy thats proven he can get some points on the board.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Mushchamp was an up and comer.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Really? ok.
Was the hottest name amongst coordinators...the coach in waiting for Texas. That's why I prefer not to go that route again. You don't know what you're getting if they've never been a HC before.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think we'd have a better shot at Quinn and better success under Quinn than Kelley. I don't think we'd get either and that's kind of the point. You either have to pony up $6MM+, or wait for the right coach to become available. Meyer was a consensus guy. There's not a consensus guy out there right now.

So, I'd say jettison Nuss if UT goes bad. Not even a loss, just bad offensely. Then determine Mac's fate on the rest of the season. I like Law's idea of just appointing an interim coach, if Mac can't correct things. I know a lot of people don't like Shannon, but he wouldn't have the divided locker room (we hope) that was present in Miami. I think he could keep the recruiting together, and is more viable than a Luke Fickle. If it takes two years to find the right guy, so be it. But we'd still need to go after the big fish.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So far in this thread we've determined that

-Gundy won't leave Osu and isn't really that good anyway.
-We're too late for Fuente.
-We'll eventually be too late for Kelly.
-Fleck doesn't get law's approval (plus the transgender wife may not go over well in the south).
-Durkin is too unproven.
-OU replaced our guy Stoops(UF is basically the stripper that Bob went a little loo far with on his bachelor night 20 years ago, and despite the current wife and kids, we still insist that we're his "true love") with a new up and comer Riley, further sticking it to us.
-Quinn has become our Gruden.
-And Miles is unemployed alarmingly making him an option.

Not to mention it's all moot because of a cheap athletic department that's still paying on their 84 month loan for the previous bad choices.

Why, again, am I supposed to be "grinning"?

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So far in this thread we've determined that

-Gundy won't leave Osu and isn't really that good anyway.
-We're too late for Fuente.
-We'll eventually be too late for Kelly.
-Fleck doesn't get law's approval (plus the transgender wife may not go over well in the south).
-Durkin is too unproven.
-OU replaced our guy Stoops(UF is basically the stripper that Bob went a little loo far with on his bachelor night 20 years ago, and despite the current wife and kids, we're still his "true love") with a new up and comer Riley, further sticking it to us.
-Quinn has become our Gruden.
-And Miles is unemployed alarmingly making him an option.

Not to mention it's all moot because of a cheap athletic department that's still paying on their 84 month loan for the previous bad choices.

Why, again, am I supposed to be "grinning"?

Does the loan on our previous coach supposed to end last year or this year?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Does the loan on our previous coach supposed to end last year or this year?

Foley likely deferred a payment or two. You know, the holidays and all.

So I have no idea what our balance is on these guys. But between still having WM on payroll, and now taking on another round of the same, it can't be good.

*edit: If the boozer above me is correct, that's a positive.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It's only a matter of time before some reporter sticks a microphone in Kelly's face and asks him about the Gators. I expect him to openly lobby for the job, even with Mac still employed.

(even if that happened, Stricklin would still do nothing :facepalm:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.