Kids these days will never know….

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Strawberry Hill or Country Kwencher?

iu

iu

Alex.
My mom and dad liked Strawberry Hill... I remember when we couldn't afford schit, they would do "date night" or "picnic in the backyard" by slicing up some apples and cheese, and having a bottle of Strawberry Hill. For me and wife to be, we were Team Country Kwencher all the way and stayed with it until we got to Gainesville where we switched to Team Ballatore when it was only $4.99 a bottle in 1990. We're still Team Ballatore and you can still get it for $8.99-$9.99 depending on where you get it.
ballatore-gran-spumante.png

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I did that in 8th grade! Sucky gig. Had to collect and if someone didn't pay, it came out of my pay.
I did it too.
But it was a local free paper.
So everyone got one twice a week.
They dropped them off and I had to roll them and wrap a rubber band and off I went. Delivered like 1,000 throwing off my bike.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I did it too.
But it was a local free paper.
So everyone got one twice a week.
They dropped them off and I had to roll them and wrap a rubber band and off I went. Delivered like 1,000 throwing off my bike.
I had to roll and band. And insert the damn inserts...which sucked on Sundays.

Think I did it for about three months and made about $15 per month. Prep and delivery took about two hours a day...seven days a week. Sales (trying to get new subscribers) and collections took another few hours a week. All in all...about $0.25 per hour. That wasn't even good in 1980.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017

Think I did it for about three months and made about $15 per month. Prep and delivery took about two hours a day...seven days a week. Sales (trying to get new subscribers) and collections took another few hours a week. All in all...about $0.25 per hour. That wasn't even good in 1980.
Yeah that sucks

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I had a couple of morning routes (Detroit Free Press, the lib paper) with about 150 houses to deliver to, and a couple of afternoon routes (Detroit News, the good paper) with another 70 or so houses to deliver to. Had the saddle bags on the back of my bike, another bag on the handlebars. Had to put each one either in the mailbox on the front of the house, or between the storm/screen door and front door... rain, snow, or shine. Sucked in the snow, and to this day, my definition of "cold" is "does your snot freeze in your nose?" Had to ride your bike to the paper station (for Detroit News) or drop off spot (Free Press) in your area to pick up the papers, then ride to your route. Thanksgiving Day paper was by far the biggest/worst. Collecting every week (I'd try to get people to do it every two weeks or even a month at a time) sucked...

But it was a big part of who I am today, and stuff like that doesn't exist for kids anymore.

Other big memory? Trying to find someone to do my paper route(s) in the summer when we'd go to my grandparents in Canada... Would draw maps on paper showing every house on every block and identifying which houses to deliver to.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016

Only amateurs use rubber bands. Fold 'em and toss.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Other big memory? Trying to find someone to do my paper route(s) in the summer when we'd go to my grandparents in Canada... Would draw maps on paper showing every house on every block and identifying which houses to deliver to

One of my high school friends had a Tallahassee Democrat (mullet wrapper) paper route on the west side of Tallahassee that cover a few neighborhoods that included an apartment complex (whoo hoo!). I covered for him a few times and I am thankful to this day that I didn’t have a full time route.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I mean, whatya expect for $18????
Despite my best efforts, I, of course, over thought this and couldn't help wondering what $18 in 1970 is worth today. Different calculators give you different answers, but roughly $18 in 1970 is worth $140-$150 today. Gotta believe for that amount we could do better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator