Kids these days will never know….

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
"Our Mr. Sun" was my favorite classroom film.

My gosh that brings back a lot of good memories. All those videos with that guy were on our 'great' list. Can't recall the names but I remember the films on the body, how plants work(botany for lack of a better term) and other films. It was indeed a good day when that thing rolled into the room.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I found one just now that was up near top of the list. "Hemo the Magnificent"

A side note to the one Spurf posted--Mr Sun. I would have never guessed Frank Capra directed that(maybe the whole series). They're nothing like his best known "It's a Wonderful Life"

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
I found one just now that was up near top of the list. "Hemo the Magnificent"

A side note to the one Spurf posted--Mr Sun. I would have never guessed Frank Capra directed that(maybe the whole series). They're nothing like his best known "It's a Wonderful Life"

Frank Capra produced the first four films of the series and is responsible for the theistic tone. Renowned UFO debunker/denier Donald Menzel was the chief scientific consultant for the "Our Mr. Sun" episode and fought Capra to tone down the religious message of the show.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
This was our go to intro music for those school films... with the obligatory pounding of the desk at just the right moment

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
This was our go to intro music for those school films... with the obligatory pounding of the desk at just the right moment

NatGeo got me thinking of Albert Brooks and Dan Akroyd in the Twilight Zone movie (at 1:45).
Great clip:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Not sure why but the only "film" that I can recall from the reel-to-reel tapes was from when I was in 1st grade. The title of it was "Patch the Pony" and for the record, I was only in 1st grade for one year... :lol2:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
You know what was a better day? Being the kid that your teacher had the library train how to run the AV equipment. Then, said kid gets the projector and sets it up to run for the class. Then, when running the film and "monitoring" the projector to make sure everything is "OK," said kid takes a felt tip pen and presses it to the film coming off the front reel so that on the screen, said kid and said kid's friends "in the know" see the squiggly ink line projected on the screen and said kid and said kid's friends "in the know" all get a big kick out of it... allegedly.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
You know what was a better day? Being the kid that your teacher had the library train how to run the AV equipment. Then, said kid gets the projector and sets it up to run for the class. Then, when running the film and "monitoring" the projector to make sure everything is "OK," said kid takes a felt tip pen and presses it to the film coming off the front reel so that on the screen, said kid and said kid's friends "in the know" see the squiggly ink line projected on the screen and said kid and said kid's friends "in the know" all get a big kick out of it... allegedly.
You left off the most iconic trick: As the film is playing and moving to the take-up reel, load it with spitballs by placing them one at a time directly onto the film just as it gets to that reel. Usually a couple of hundred or so work just fine, and keeps the 'spitball workers' limited to just a couple seated on both sides of the projector. Busy making and planting(loading) the film with slobbery wads of paper takes a surprising amount of coordination and focus so only the brighter troublemakers were qualified.

Once the film is over and it's time to rewind the film back onto the primary reel....in high speed:grin:. It always started slowly at first but towards the end of the rewind, that thing is flying---throwing little wads of paper and moisture all over the room at projectile speed.

It was glorious. We....er, they never got caught.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.