Larry Bird, GOAT?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I would take Bill Russell over Wilt and Shaq any day!

I gotta find a place for Bill Russell on my team, but he's 6'9". Maybe the best defensive player and rebounder ever, but at 6'9" and his weight, I can see somebody like Shaq muscling him around and 7'2" Kareem scoring that skyhook over him all night long. Magic is 6'9", LeBron is 6'8" (and thicker). That's why I move Russell to PF. Now he's competing against guys like Duncan, Karl Malone, and Barkley. He can dominate those guys defensively and on the boards better than he can a 7" + center.

(and Shaq's not on the 2-deep of my all-time team, Russell is)

Alex.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
This will be against the grain but didn't Russell play with 6 or 7 HOF'ers? It's not like he was carrying the team by himself.

He is definitely the greatest winner of all-time but best? He's the 4th best center

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
While interesting and fun to discuss, the arguement is a bit moot in that the NBA of the 70s and 80s was completely different from the game they play today. Very different skill sets required in today's game versus the game I grew up watching. Honestly, I miss it. I find today's pro game nearly unwatchable.

Regarding Larry the Legend, his '86 through '88 3-point contest performances are like watching da Vinci paint the Mona Lisa ... "which one of you guys is finishing second?"

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You guys don't take the history of the game into account, nor the fact that the NBA isn't really basketball anymore. MJ peaked his head out when the league just expanded 4 new teams. Outside of center he had a great cast. Anyone really think Parrish or AC Green were worth their accolades. Magic and Bird made their teammates better, MJ did not. If you want to go by today's definition where it's an individuals game and the stars get the calls and the league office determines who the stars are, then give me MJ, Kobe and LeBron. But if you want to use the definition that it's a team game and you can only take two steps, give me Magic, Oscar, and Bird.

As for Russell, he's the only guy who could handle Wilt. Shaq is just big, he fouls out constantly if he plays a decade sooner. Wilt is legit tho, as well as Lou Alcindor. Tim Duncan and Hakeem would be great in any era

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gotta love the unselfish passing and finish game back in the day... nice vid

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's all subjective when talking about who's the greatest, but more from team standpoint, I have to agree with Bart...

Those Celtic/Lakers series with Bird/Magic were the best of my lifetime.

Not only great individual players, but they also played together and their records as well as the championships they won were a direct result. And as an added bonus for us fans during that era, the meat of those two rosters stayed intact for a pretty long time. It was great basketball and a far cry from what the game, despite some really, really talented athletes, has evolved (or disintegrated) into today. My opinion, but along with Bird, Magic, Worthy, Kareem, JoJo, the Chief, McHale, etc., Dr. J, and Elvin Hayes composed a group of the best of the best. I'm sure I left several out, but these guys still dominate my memories of some really great basketball. I wish the game was still played like that, but I'm old...

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Enjoyed the video.

Another guy from small town America who played many years for the Celtics was John "Hondo" Havlichek (so?). Anyone remember him?

On a further note our current AD, Scott Striclin, is the son-in-law of an NBA great who played for Mississippi State named Bailey Howell. A lot of you younger guys might not have heard of him. Look him up.

Again, Deuce, thanks for an inspirational Larry Bird video.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This will be against the grain but didn't Russell play with 6 or 7 HOF'ers? It's not like he was carrying the team by himself.

He is definitely the greatest winner of all-time but best? He's the 4th best center

11 Championships. He was the constant. Best shot blocker in the game's history. Biggest winner in the game's history. Best team player to ever bounce a ball.

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Top 2-6 player..his abilities provide varying assessments of his place in the hierarchy. He's not the GOAT but he has to be mentioned in any history of the game discussion and any discussion of the best of player with all possible consideration factors included.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not going to even consider who was the best - it's impossible to tell anyway because no comparison is apples to apples. What I am going to do is say that was incredible! I remember as a child watching the two powerhouses and choosing to be a Lakers fan. This video reminds me just how great those playoffs were and how much fun it was to watch Bird verses Magic and their teams. Great memories of a special time in the history of the NBA.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Oh yeah, thanks to the O.P. for posting! You get a like.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good to hear the memories coming out. Those were memorable times indeed!

I agree about the product the NBA put's out now..... it's all about great athletes just throwing the ball up and chasing it down, with a few exceptions. The players are so much bigger and stronger these days but most have never been taught the fundamentals of the game.... traveling and palming the ball are never called anymore.... and the Stars can get away with anything..

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I was a huge Celtics fan growing up in Orlando with nobody local to root for. Bird will always be my favorite player.....arguments of who the best players of all time can never be validated, but I would take him against ANYBODY from any era of basketball and not feel like it was a bad choice.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Great?

Absolutely.

Greatest of all time?

Absolutely not.

No offense guys. I too grew up with those awesome Celtics-Lakers finals, I watched much of Bird's career, he's in the top 10 but he's not in the top 3. Problem is, it's hard to compare other players to centers; it's hard to compare Jordan, Magic, and Bird to Kareem, Wilt, and Shaq. That said, Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, and Magic are my top 4 players of all time.

This is my All-Time team:

PG Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson
SG Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant (and I really hate Kobe)
SF LeBron James, Larry Bird (although I love Dr. J)
PF Tim Duncan, Bill Russell (yes, I move him from C to PF)
C Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain

Alex.
It's also hard to compare different eras. To my mind, Bird played when the NBA put more of a premium on finesse, while today's game puts more of a premium on brute strength. I prefer the finesse era, That's when real bball skill stands out. I lost interest when strength replaced finesse.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You must be out your goddamn mind! Joe Louis, the greatest boxer that ever lived! He was badder than Cassius Clay, he was badder than Sugar Ray, and that new boy-what's his name? Mike Tyson?-looks like a bulldog; he was badder than him, too.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
You must be out your goddamn mind! Joe Louis, the greatest boxer that ever lived! He was badder than Cassius Clay, he was badder than Sugar Ray, and that new boy-what's his name? Mike Tyson?-looks like a bulldog; he was badder than him, too.

His momma called him Clay so I'm gonna call him Clay

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Great?

Absolutely.

Greatest of all time?

Absolutely not.

No offense guys. I too grew up with those awesome Celtics-Lakers finals, I watched much of Bird's career, he's in the top 10 but he's not in the top 3. Problem is, it's hard to compare other players to centers; it's hard to compare Jordan, Magic, and Bird to Kareem, Wilt, and Shaq. That said, Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, and Magic are my top 4 players of all time.

This is my All-Time team:

PG Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson
SG Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant (and I really hate Kobe)
SF LeBron James, Larry Bird (although I love Dr. J)
PF Tim Duncan, Bill Russell (yes, I move him from C to PF)
C Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain

Alex.
No Pistol Pete?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member