Larry Bird, GOAT?

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
While interesting and fun to discuss, the arguement is a bit moot in that the NBA of the 70s and 80s was completely different from the game they play today. Very different skill sets required in today's game versus the game I grew up watching. Honestly, I miss it. I find today's pro game nearly unwatchable.

Regarding Larry the Legend, his '86 through '88 3-point contest performances are like watching da Vinci paint the Mona Lisa ... "which one of you guys is finishing second?"
+ 1000

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No Pistol Pete?
maybe the best showman, but really falls short in a lot of ways. Great scorer, but poor %. He also never made his teams better. Not to mention crappy defender. Ton of talent though.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's also hard to compare different eras. To my mind, Bird played when the NBA put more of a premium on finesse, while today's game puts more of a premium on brute strength. I prefer the finesse era, That's when real bball skill stands out. I lost interest when strength replaced finesse.
There was a fair share of bruising involved. How many times did fights break out? And when they fouled they made sure you felt it.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
There was a fair share of bruising involved. How many times did fights break out? And when they fouled they made sure you felt it.

It was never a game for sissies. but a lot of the incredible moves and passing have been replaced by bulldozing a defender to the basket like a running back in reverse. Then dunk.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was never a game for sissies. but a lot of the incredible moves and passing have been replaced by bulldozing a defender to the basket like a running back in reverse. Then dunk.
I'm with you 100%. Not the mention the 4 step moves, palming the ball, etc. The 80's was such a fun time to watch.

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015

Defenses have been hand cuffed, while the ball handler has been given nearly free reign. As great as MJ was, he's as responsible as anyone for the change in how the game is officiated and played. The NBA was messemized by MJ's ability to penetrate and finish. Rules were manipulated beginning in the late 80s/early 90s in an attempt to encourage more MJ-like players. While it resulted in more above the rim highlight reel play, I believe it ultimately dumbed down the game and backfired in a big way. On top of that, as others have mentioned, the expansion of the league has diluted talent quality to the point that I'm not sure the NBA could go back to officiating the game the way it used to. The overall skill level isn't there, as it has become a league of athletes instead of basketball players.

Don't get me wrong, there are still some amazingly gifted players in today's game. LeBron and Durant for example would be stars in any generation. It's the next tier of players where I believe the quality has dropped off.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
No Pistol Pete?
I dont have time to explain the greatness of former basketball players but the greatest show on earth was Pete Maravich, a man that should have died before the age 25 with a bad heart, but played BB like a magician.

This was up near the top of this page...........I saw him play at UF in the old Alligator Alley had 52 that nite.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I dont have time to explain the greatness of former basketball players but the greatest show on earth was Pete Maravich, a man that should have died before the age 25 with a bad heart, but played BB like a magician.

This was up near the top of this page...........I saw him play at UF in the old Alligator Alley had 52 that nite.

Pete was a jack em up showboat and Press let him get away with it.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Pete was much more than that. Case in point. Clyde Walt Frazier was perennial all def. NBA guard.......Maravich scored 68 one night against them and him. They won the game.

Also, notice no 3pt line.........imagine what the guy scores with it. Do you see his shooting form. It is perfect on each jump shot. The fade away jumper. How do you guard that. Btw his vertical was not white boy vertical. He could get up. His peripheral vision was legendary. I will link a video of his great passing ability.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pete was much more than that. Case in point. Clyde Walt Frazier was perennial all def. NBA guard.......Maravich scored 68 one night against them and him. They won the game.

Also, notice no 3pt line.........imagine what the guy scores with it. Do you see his shooting form. It is perfect on each jump shot. The fade away jumper. How do you guard that. Btw his vertical was not white boy vertical. He could get up. His peripheral vision was legendary. I will link a video of his great passing ability.

I'm talking college....never watched him after that

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Can Larry Bird play DT and does he have any eligibility left? If not, why are we talking about him?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I'm talking college....never watched him after that
Too bad. If you want to get the real feel for what he was in college beyond the few times Im guess you saw him look up an article in SI they wrote when he was a jr or sr. I read all his bio's. He was born with a real messed up heart and it should have killed him before he reached 30. He always looked anemic because his heart didnt function right. He searched for years for that perfect nutrition to be healthy when in reality he needed surgery. You should check out the most recent bio written about him. He was otherworld and even his NBA peers admitted he was one of the best if not the best. Team mates in the pros loved him cause he could get them ball. Erving played with him for a very short while and raved about his passing.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Too bad. If you want to get the real feel for what he was in college beyond the few times Im guess you saw him look up an article in SI they wrote when he was a jr or sr. I read all his bio's. He was born with a real messed up heart and it should have killed him before he reached 30. He always looked anemic because his heart didnt function right. He searched for years for that perfect nutrition to be healthy when in reality he needed surgery. You should check out the most recent bio written about him. He was otherworld and even his NBA peers admitted he was one of the best if not the best. Team mates in the pros loved him cause he could get them ball. Erving played with him for a very short while and raved about his passing.

I didn't like him....you did...
So be it.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Larry Bird is my favorite player of all time I guess, because he got more out of less. He was an absolute assassin with the ball at the end of a close game.

MJ is the GOAT and it's not even close IMO. But that's why they make blue cars and red cars.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Anyone really think Parrish or AC Green were worth their accolades. Magic and Bird made their teammates better
I get where you're coming from but as a Lakers fan in the 80's and 90's they had James Worthy, Kareem, Byron Scott and Michael Cooper who were NBA All Star's multiple times.....yes Magic made them better but they were all talented players in their own right.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Pete Maravich was a great college player and entertainer. He was not as good at the professional level. Because of his heart condition he had some issues with stamina. I think that is one reason he did not play defense. He was resting and trying to catch his breath on defense. Maravich was 6' 5" but was very skinny and lanky. One can speculate on just how good Maravich could have been had he had a normally structured heart.

Larry Bird was better than Maravich. Look at some of the passes in the video. They were as good as anything that Maravich could do. Bird had way more stamina than Maravich and went 100% for the full game.

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
Pete Maravich was a great college player and entertainer. He was not as good at the professional level. Because of his heart condition he had some issues with stamina. I think that is one reason he did not play defense. He was resting and trying to catch his breath on defense. Maravich was 6' 5" but was very skinny and lanky. One can speculate on just how good Maravich could have been had he had a normally structured heart.

Larry Bird was better than Maravich. Look at some of the passes in the video. They were as good as anything that Maravich could do. Bird had way more stamina than Maravich and went 100% for the full game.

Bird would run two miles before games to "warm up."

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Pistol is the best college player ever. If the 3-point line had been in play in college when he played, he would have averaged over 50 a game, his 44.2 won't ever be touched. Had he stayed sober, who knows what his pro career could have been.

My Top Ten all-time:

MJ
Magic
Wilt
Russell
Oscar
Dr. J.
Bird
Duncan
West
Olajuwon (research some of his stats, vastly underappreciated)

Kobe and MeBron and punk Curry don't qualify due to today's product reeking of ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator