LSU fires Les Miles

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know about you, but when I go to an expensive store I look at the sale rack and the closeouts first. Coaching is no different. Might find a bargain that has a slight defect or doesn't fit quite as well as something costing much more.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
As a position coach, Les Miles primarily worked with the O-line. And he's a hell of a recruiter.

And he'll probably keep drawing head coach pay for what would have been the duration of his LSU contract, so don't need to pay him market rate.

Just saying.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I think this was a huge mistake. LSU can end up like bUTtchug and have a school that went from competitor to doormat over night and take 10 plus years to fix.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
BTW - in my research yesterday, I believe LSU has the highest staff salaries in all of CFB.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
I posted this earlier in the thread about Miles being fired. I can't imagine they would touch Briles with all that baggage.
It may not matter since they got Zach MettenRaper from UGA. Then again, Briles would be a better fit at Mizzou, or at F$U if they lose Dumbo.
F$U and Art Briles. There's a match made in.......I won't go there.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I think this was a huge mistake. LSU can end up like bUTtchug and have a school that went from competitor to doormat over night and take 10 plus years to fix.

This is the talk of losers....

"We might not be able to do better"

If you always want to be 2nd or 3rd place then fine; if you ever want to win you have to try.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
This is the talk of losers....

"We might not be able to do better"

If you always want to be 2nd or 3rd place then fine; if you ever want to win you have to try.
What I am saying is that if you get the wrong person to replace him, you went from contender to pretender. LSU may make a big mistake and hire a "Kiffin" only to see that they were better off with Les Miles.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
What I am saying is that if you get the wrong person to replace him, you went from contender to pretender. LSU may make a big mistake and hire a "Kiffin" only to see that they were better off with Les Miles.

Mistakes can be rectified.

Have to take the chance man.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Great read (fun and funny) about him getting fired:

Not even Les Miles could beat time forever

There are a lot of links to other related articles (worth following and reading as well), but here's some of the quality of this particular article:

Miles at the wheel meant you were guaranteed 58 minutes of reliable, red-meat, Big Ten football. It also meant you got two minutes of off-the-rails Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride banditry that LSU might or might not survive.

5. A lot of this comes back to LSU having no clue how to develop or keep a quarterback.

That was largely on Miles, an adherent of the run game, defense, and the occasional special teams escapade who won a national title with Flynn, got to another title game with something called “Jordan Jefferson/Jarrett Lee,” and then spent the better part of a half-decade sifting through transfers and busted talent. At one point in 2008, with the rest of the team stacked with NFL draft picks and blue-chip talent, Miles started a transfer from Harvard at quarterback for three games. That guy eventually transferred back to Harvard.

That’s really it. I can’t summarize this any better than: “Miles started a Harvard QB in the SEC and got away with it, then had the guy go back to Massachusetts.”

7. His peak came during a raucous, disorderly, and supremely entertaining 2007 season, when LSU became the only two-loss team in the modern era to win a national championship. Miles’ LSU beat Florida in the best football game I have ever seen by going for it on five fourth downs; lost two hair-raising, triple-OT games vs. Arkansas and Kentucky; beat Tennessee in the SEC Championship with a backup QB; and then came home to New Orleans to rout Ohio State for the title after an inexplicable series of events that college football historians are still trying to understand. (They won’t, ever. Stop trying. 2007 is the most perfect season ever and makes absolutely no sense.

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Miles: Supports his firing, didn't fight it

Dave Cohen Reporting

Fired LSU Coach Les Miles says he supports the decision to terminate his employment at LSU.

"I'm for the Tigers, and anything that they see that makes the Tigers better, I'm for them," He told the Dan Patrick Show on Direct TV's Audience. "I accepted that outcome... I will support that decision and these Tigers as we go forward."

Patrick asked Miles if he tried to fight his firing.

"It was beyond fighting," Miles insisted.

He said he was fired face to face.

Miles is not done coaching football. He told Patrick that he doesn't really have any other hobbies, so wants to keep working as a football coach.

"I would have a difficult time... not being a coach."

Miles offered support for his interim replacement, "I think Ed Orgeron will do a great job for them."

Miles says he does not feel sorry for himself.

"Are you kidding me? I have had a great run at LSU, and I enjoyed myself the entire time."

----
https://www.wwl.com/Miles-Supports-his-firing-didn-t-fight-it/22888318

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Posted: Monday, 26 September 2016 1:13PM

'Coach O' promises changes to LSU offense
Dave Cohen Reporting

LSU today formally introduced the Interim Football Coach.

"I felt that at this time Ed Orgeron was the right may to take over this program," Athletic Director Joe Alleva announced. "His enthusiasm is contagious."

The A.D. painted a positive picture for LSU Football.

"I still really believe the future is really bright for this football program," Alleva said. "I really look forward to the next nine weeks. I look forward to Coach Orgeron and working with him and seeing where we go from here."

Orgeron insists changes are coming.

"You can expect a new coaching staff, a new style of play on offense," the interim coach explained. "We are going to tweak things around."

Orgeron says all he wants to do is see the Tigers win and be happy.

Growing up in Lafourche Parish he calls this his dream job.--
https://www.wwl.com/-Coach-O-promises-changes-to-LSU-offense/22888468

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
lol...

TOPIC-
Ed Orgeron vs all the other SEC coaches in a fight -Posted on 9/26/16 at 1:22 pm

One on One. Who you got?

Ed O, or the field?

I'm going with Ed O and his gravely voice and steely eyes. Didn't get a chance to check his knuckles tho...

-

The field, only bc Saban will stab him in the back while the other coaches distract him

---
Ed. He's big and, more importantly, nuts.

---

If it was a mini Coach O it might be a good fight. A full size coach O? They have no chance.
---

Either way, someone is losing a limb and perhaps getting their head bitten off when he and Muschamp go at it.

=

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant...ll-the-other-sec-coaches-in-a-fight/65691865/

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
"I hate that a man that's been as successful as Les Miles got fired before the end of the season. I have a ton of respect for the job that he did at LSU."

-Nick Saban today.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Firing a guy in the middle of the season is like sending him on a long and wonderful paid vacation. Why can't that happen to me?
Every coach that gets fired gets millions. I sure as hell don't ever feel bad for any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator