Luke Ancrum calls out Hevesy on twitter

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
If what @The Original DC describes turns you off, you probably don't have to worry much longer. That type of coaching will probably soon go the way of the buffalo. And it will be a shame in my opinion. The greatest parts of the game that translate to life is learning how to handle pressure, to get back up when you get knocked down, and to keep fighting until the end. You can't learn that sitting on couches drinking smoothies and talking about it. If you could, Jim MacElwain would be ready to begin his sixth season at UF after having won the previous 5 Nat'l Championships. Of course, when we one day fill the Swamp for the SEC Flag Football Conference games, there'll be no worries about hard @ss coaches chewing any little prima donna's out and hurting their feelings. The Skellie Pimps (who are exploiting a lot of kids in 7on7) might well be the guys who wind up coaching in the future. I hope not. I personally owe a lot to the game and the coaches that kicked my @ss. I might not have deserved all of them I got, but I sure needed them. Life don't take prisoners.

Hell thats the way my little league coach reacted if we took a close pitch w 2 strikes.

His teams (baseball or football) werent always the most talented but we were the most disciplined. You got the fundamentals right, you were focused and you gave 100% or you sat. He always had SOMETHING you needed to work on or get better.

Too many pussies today.

I don't know Hevesy, have never heard his voice other than some interviews here and there on the internet. I cant comment on his style nor its effectiveness. My comments on this thread are more directed at Ancrum than Hevesy. But I will say this, having come from a life of playing every sport of each season as a kid to a career in the Army, I have seen a larger than share of coaches, mentors and leaders. Some have it, others grow into it while a few just never figure it out and fake it. Many can do and lead. Many cant do but they can lead. Some cant do and cant lead. Just like anything in life, it is a skill mixed with a bias of a person's character and genetics. Some are just born to communicate effectively with others while some just struggle ... they know how to do it but they can't seem to communicate effectively. And there is also the fact that some people just dont get along no matter how hard they can try. They just dont like each other.

Those that struggle in the Army tended to never get past drill sgt mode of leading. It works at first but then relationships never really get established and respect is lost. Maybe Hev is a drill sgt type that has no other way to lead and coach. I dont know ... like I said before.

What I do know from this ... Ancrum is a twatwaffle.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
If what @The Original DC describes turns you off, you probably don't have to worry much longer. That type of coaching will probably soon go the way of the buffalo. And it will be a shame in my opinion. The greatest parts of the game that translate to life is learning how to handle pressure, to get back up when you get knocked down, and to keep fighting until the end. You can't learn that sitting on couches drinking smoothies and talking about it. If you could, Jim MacElwain would be ready to begin his sixth season at UF after having won the previous 5 Nat'l Championships. Of course, when we one day fill the Swamp for the SEC Flag Football Conference games, there'll be no worries about hard @ss coaches chewing any little prima donna's out and hurting their feelings. The Skellie Pimps (who are exploiting a lot of kids in 7on7) might well be the guys who wind up coaching in the future. I hope not. I personally owe a lot to the game and the coaches that kicked my @ss. I might not have deserved all of them I got, but I sure needed them. Life don't take prisoners.

Amen. Myself and most of my friends look back at the past and most admire and appreciate the hard ass coaches we had. Those are the ones we remember. Playing for those coaches was a badge of honor we still wear proudly.
I’ve coached basketball for 30+ years....high school, AAU and middle school. I just retired at the conclusion of this past season. I was a hard ass. I’d be wealthy if I had a dollar every time some kid said to me...Coach...this ain’t the Marine Corps. I pushed hard but we won championships and we helped many kids get scholarships and we taught life lessons. Many of my former players are now married with kids and would still come by the gym to see me and talk to my new kids and tell them the price was worth it. I coached girls as well and never backed off or dumbed it down.

But I have seen the change. Mostly in the parents but the kids as well. I’ve had 2 players play 4 years of college ball and come back and become assistant coaches. Ironically they were the two kids I was the toughest on in my whole career. They would laugh at today’s kids about how soft I’ve become compared to their day. And it’s true I had to back it down a bit. These kids and their parents wouldn’t survive otherwise.

I long for the days when I had a Dad tell me...Coach when you’re in the gym their yours....when they leave the gym their mine. What you do in that gym is between you and the team.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Amen. Myself and most of my friends look back at the past and most admire and appreciate the hard ass coaches we had. Those are the ones we remember. Playing for those coaches was a badge of honor we still wear proudly.
I’ve coached basketball for 30+ years....high school, AAU and middle school. I just retired at the conclusion of this past season. I was a hard ass. I’d be wealthy if I had a dollar every time some kid said to me...Coach...this ain’t the Marine Corps. I pushed hard but we won championships and we helped many kids get scholarships and we taught life lessons. Many of my former players are now married with kids and would still come by the gym to see me and talk to my new kids and tell them the price was worth it. I coached girls as well and never backed off or dumbed it down.

But I have seen the change. Mostly in the parents but the kids as well. I’ve had 2 players play 4 years of college ball and come back and become assistant coaches. Ironically they were the two kids I was the toughest on in my whole career. They would laugh at today’s kids about how soft I’ve become compared to their day. And it’s true I had to back it down a bit. These kids and their parents wouldn’t survive otherwise.

I long for the days when I had a Dad tell me...Coach when you’re in the gym their yours....when they leave the gym their mine. What you do in that gym is between you and the team.
Bobby Knight, hate him or love him, summed it best about 30 years ago when asked by a reporter if he thought the kids had changed dramatically since he first started coaching. “Nope,” he replied, “but the parents sure have!”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Used to do this around the house on the farm. Good times.
I remember two moron friends (one was a future Marine of course) standing at like 10 paces and shooting each other in the ass to see which one could take the most pumps of the air gun without quittting.

Later, after some grain alcohol, they were "sterilizing" their pocket knives and performing surgery to remove the bb's.

Probably a felony today.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I remember two moron friends (one was a future Marine of course) standing at like 10 paces and shooting each other in the ass to see which one could take the most pumps of the air gun without quittting.

Later, after some grain alcohol, they were "sterilizing" their pocket knives and performing surgery to remove the bb's.

Probably a felony today.

We didnt think much of it. We were using a Red Ryder bbq gun. One of those you just cocked one time. None of us were rich enough to afford those fancy pump up jobs.

We weren't psychos. We had rules. No head shots. Didnt want to put out an eye. A shot to the nuts or ass counted for two though.

Would never let my kids do this crap.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
We would play army in the orange groves. Pump guns had a 2 or 3 pump rule to play even with the red ryders. No headshots. Ah the days when parents had no idea what their kids did all day.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We would play army in the orange groves. Pump guns had a 2 or 3 pump rule to play even with the red ryders. No headshots. Ah the days when parents had no idea what their kids did all day.
Imagine today. Youd he called reckless nazi youth with a death wish playing suicide games.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
At night we would play hide and seek with the person who was "IT" having a BB pistol. Getting shot was getting tagged. There would be around 20 of us playing. The wooden bleachers were base, the area was the road, the railroad tracks, school parking lot and the right field fence. Would play until 1-2 in the morning.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Airsoft barracks wars at my first duty station (Ft Lewis) was the norm and we had a blast. It kinda got squashed because of some sensitive sally's that arrived to the unit. This was early 90s probably about the time snowflakes started ruining sh!t. By the time I left that unit, airsoft weapons in the barracks across the Army had become an automatic article 15 offense.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

We did the same thing in my hood when I lived in Gville. We had a 3 pump rule as well. Dads even played. No goggles ... no helmets ... just little bitty welps on the body that we laughed about at the dinner table that night and the bus stop the next morning. If someone took a face shot the game was paused until they could recover, the shot didn't count, the person shot in the face got to do a free shot to the body of the person that shot them, then everyone went back to where the game was paused and restarted. Good times.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
Air guns were banned but we found other ways to to shoot each other in college. We used to shoot bottle rockets at each other down a long narrow hallway in the house. The motto was ‘it isn’t funny until someone loses an eye.’ About mid-game the smoke was so thick you had to anticipate incoming from sound.

We also played a game in that hallway called ‘death ball’ that involved throwing golf balls on a single bounce at a target. If you missed the target or failed on the single bounce you ended up having to crouch in the line of fire about 10 feet in front of the target until either you were hit or someone else missed the target. Then they took your place. One of our routine players was a UF relief pitcher and he threw so hard the golf ball punched a hole in the concrete block wall. That’s how the game got its name.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Air guns were banned but we found other ways to to shoot each other in college. We used to shoot bottle rockets at each other down a long narrow hallway in the house. The motto was ‘it isn’t funny until someone loses an eye.’ About mid-game the smoke was so thick you had to anticipate incoming from sound.

We also played a game in that hallway called ‘death ball’ that involved throwing golf balls on a single bounce at a target. If you missed the target or failed on the single bounce you ended up having to crouch in the line of fire about 10 feet in front of the target until either you were hit or someone else missed the target. Then they took your place. One of our routine players was a UF relief pitcher and he threw so hard the golf ball punched a hole in the concrete block wall. That’s how the game got its name.
The three D cell Mag Lites, minus the batteries, were the best for firing bottle rockets. And with the batteries still in were the best for a very different function.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And with the batteries still in were the best for a very different function.
Yeah, getting your ass in a world of paperwork at least.

And those things look a lot worse on video than they actually are. And EVERYTHING is on video now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.