Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Me either.

I preferred the C cells. Better grip.
Small hands, small...:whistle:

Never used anything like a mag light, but many years back when I was a boy, granddaddy’s buy us a Winn-Dixie sack full of firecrackers and bottle rockets from this fellow in town that bootlegged them. We found out that we could take an old piece of irrigation pipe and use it like a bazooka with deadly accuracy. Nobody ever lost an eye, but there were plenty of welps. We all got our @sses tore up when one of the cousin’s good shirt got a hole burned in it. Small price to pay for some great juvenile fun.
[

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

Never used anything like a mag light, but many years back when I was a boy, granddaddy’s buy us a Winn-Dixie sack full of firecrackers and bottle rockets from this fellow in town that bootlegged them. We found out that we could take an old piece of irrigation pipe and use it like a bazooka with deadly accuracy. Nobody ever lost an eye, but there were plenty of welps. We all got our @sses tore up when one of the cousin’s good shirt got a hole burned in it. Small price to pay for some great juvenile fun.
[
We did the same. 3’ stick of 3/4” pvc with an elbow at the end. Learned that was necessary through experience.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[
Mehh... I have huge hands, cant buy gloves off the shelf, and 14 shoes.

But wrapping your fingers more around makes it more secure. You get a little blood on your hands and youd be surprised how slippery things are.

Plus a 4c weighs about as much as a 2d maglite. Weight matters when you are loaded down w crap.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Who would you pick to be on your bottlerocket, maglite, paintball, airsoft or 3 pump bb gun war if it was between Hev and Ancrum?

I know who I'd pick.

Hint: I don't team up with twatwaffles.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mehh... I have huge hands, cant buy gloves off the shelf, and 14 shoes.

But wrapping your fingers more around makes it more secure. You get a little blood on your hands and youd be surprised how slippery things are.

Plus a 4c weighs about as much as a 2d maglite. Weight matters when you are loaded down w crap.
I must’ve missed it in the past, but sounds like you were in LE at some point. I know a couple of guys that started out in police work that ended up getting their JD, both going on to work for the state attorney. One is now a judge in the county. Both expressed disgust with the manipulation of the law on behalf of the criminal element and wanted to try and make a difference.

As to the effectiveness of the mag light in combat, I can imagine how well it works. The old slap jacks sure did the trick. One old officer told us that one pop behind the ear and the guy showing out turned into a Boy Scout. Obviously no longer legal, but I remember that being a pretty standard piece of equipment. I understand excessive force, but if you are fearful of injury or death, you do what you’ve got to do.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Who would you pick to be on your bottlerocket, maglite, paintball, airsoft or 3 pump bb gun war if it was between Hev and Ancrum?

I know who I'd pick.

Hint: I don't team up with twatwaffles.
Having met Hevesy (who was good to talk with btw) and stood next to him, I wouldn’t want to shoot him at all. In fact, I’d try and make sure he was on my team. He is one large human being.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I must’ve missed it in the past, but sounds like you were in LE at some point. I know a couple of guys that started out in police work that ended up getting their JD, both going on to work for the state attorney. One is now a judge in the county. Both expressed disgust with the manipulation of the law on behalf of the criminal element and wanted to try and make a difference.

As to the effectiveness of the mag light in combat, I can imagine how well it works. The old slap jacks sure did the trick. One old officer told us that one pop behind the ear and the guy showing out turned into a Boy Scout. Obviously no longer legal, but I remember that being a pretty standard piece of equipment. I understand excessive force, but if you are fearful of injury or death, you do what you’ve got to do.
The "slapper" was before my time, but I've heard some similar, uh, "success" stories. Back in the day, there was actually a thigh pocket on the outside of the leg of uniformed PO's pants specifically designed to hold it!
What made the Mag Light so effective was, as opposed to say an ASP baton or the PR-24, was it was non-threatening to have it out. (No one is bothered by someone with a flashlight out in reduced lighting conditions and the odds of the situation escalating go down.) If one held it by the end near the head with it resting on your palm and the butt end resting on your shoulder, you could effectively use it as a light or bring the butt end down quickly in an arc if need be - and that's when you wanted three D cells as opposed to four C cells. Nowadays, of course there are much better (and much lighter) options available, though they aren't much good as a weapon. (I still remember the first time we saw a Surefire flashlight; we were all amazed - and had to have one!)

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
The rechargeable maglight was the best 1980’s money I ever spent

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.