Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Harris 14/19 215 2 td
Grier 16/18 166 2td
Grady 1/1 3 0 td

After this game a number of posters on this board were still thinking Harris was the guy to lead us to the promised land.

Exactly. People want to pretend that UMASS isn't horrible... they are! They are really really bad and we should have beat them by 40. It was 10-7 at half! There is no positive coming out of this. Del Rio played OK, but if he can't lead this team to score more than 24 against UMASS then it is going to be a rough year.

I keep thinking we have seen this before. An offense that looks bad, but is so close to scoring more points... I'll believe it when I see it!

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
So things are looking up. Gator football has now made it to the point we are now slobbering over a QB who "managed" a game against UMass.

Slobbering? I read some posts that are discussing the positives from the guys FIRST GAME he ever started. I think many here have hope he can be a decent QB and leader. Just what in the heck is wrong with that?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly. People want to pretend that UMASS isn't horrible... they are! They are really really bad and we should have beat them by 40. It was 10-7 at half! There is no positive coming out of this. Del Rio played OK, but if he can't lead this team to score more than 24 against UMASS then it is going to be a rough year.

I keep thinking we have seen this before. An offense that looks bad, but is so close to scoring more points... I'll believe it when I see it!
Theres 10 other guys on the offense that have to contribute. The WRs have to catch. The RBs have to break free. The OL has to block and create hole. And the Coaches have to put the players in position to succeed.

I'm the last to be a Pumper but to put this on LDR is just silly.

I'll say it again... everyone who posts on this board said all offseason that all we need LDR to do is manage the game and not turn it over. That's it. The rest will come. Saturday showed us we have a lot still left to show up.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You don't think Chubb is the real deal? What games are you watching? The guy is a truck.
Not exactly what I said. He's good for about 2/3 to 3/4 of a game. I saw him take several runs off.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Theres 10 other guys on the offense that have to contribute. The WRs have to catch. The RBs have to break free. The OL has to block and create hole. And the Coaches have to put the players in position to succeed.

I'm the last to be a Pumper but to put this on LDR is just silly.

I'll say it again... everyone who posts on this board said all offseason that all we need LDR to do is manage the game and not turn it over. That's it. The rest will come. Saturday showed us we have a lot still left to show up.

I didn't put it all on Del Rio. I said he played OK. I don't expect him to manage the game against UMASS. I expect him to pick UMASS apart. I expect him to manage the game against LSU, Tenn or UGA. If he has to manage the game against UMASS... what is he going to do when he faces a real team?

The whole offense needs to play better. I just don't think anybody deserves high praise after last week... not even Del Rio.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
what is he going to do when he faces a real team?
Manage the game? :dunno:

The whole offense needs to play better. I just don't think anybody deserves high praise after last week... not even Del Rio.
Completely agree and I don't think anyone is giving high praises for LDR. Just pointing out he did what he was supposed to do.

As pointed out above, Harris lit it up against a horrible team in NM St. That really paid off well, huh?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Manage the game? :dunno:

Completely agree and I don't think anyone is giving high praises for LDR. Just pointing out he did what he was supposed to do.

As pointed out above, Harris lit it up against a horrible team in NM St. That really paid off well, huh?

I guess that is where we disagree. I don't think he did what he was supposed to do. He was supposed to pick UMASS apart. He is supposed to manage the game against Tenn, LSU, UGA, FSU, etc...

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I guess that is where we disagree. I don't think he did what he was supposed to do. He was supposed to pick UMASS apart. He is supposed to manage the game against Tenn, LSU, UGA, FSU, etc...
I wished he picked apart UMASS and I would have won my money back. But picking apart team like UMASS or N. Texas or NM St. doesn't really mean anything except inflated stats. Other than the Urban and Spurrier years, it hasn't meant sh!t. I don't think we are back there yet.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
well, we will see very soon how good/manager LDR is. meat of schedule about to start.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I wished he picked apart UMASS and I would have won my money back. But picking apart team like UMASS or N. Texas or NM St. doesn't really mean anything except inflated stats. Other than the Urban and Spurrier years, it hasn't meant sh!t. I don't think we are back there yet.

I agree that picking them apart doesn't mean anything, but I think not being able to pick them apart does mean something!

Hopefully he comes back and shows what he can do against UK.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
guys...let's move onto the next opponent. We looked like sh!t against UMASS (input various reasons here) . Kentucky is the opponent now. Time to see what Gator Football is made of.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, it helps when your offensive linemen can now bench more than 95lbs for 5 reps like last year. There is no way in hell LDR has half the arm Grier does, or the legs. Nothing against LDR because he's what we got from this point on but lets be realistic about talent level and until LDR goes downfield with a much higher percentage of his passes we won't know how good he really is. These little dink and dunk passes are the same thing Weiss had JB do to the smurfs back at the beginning of 2011, they were also the same thing Roper had Drizzy doin' at the beginning of 2014...it won't work for long once the big boys show up to play...
This was my thought as well. Atleast we were taking thise screen passes from Brantley to the house.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Or you could say as fans we've regressed to the point where we rip on players who played just fine.

I firmly blame the staff. Are we really 34 points worse than Mich and only 17 points better than UMass?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I firmly blame the staff. Are we really 34 points worse than Mich and only 17 points better than UMass?

Two different teams, it's college football where a 20% of your team changes every year. My guess is that the truth is somewhere in between. Our line is still a huge question mark, and the playcalling was horrible. The wide receivers which were supposed to be more of a strength this year look ordinary. The backs look better in the 4th quarter, but that might have more due to the fact of UMASS wearing down. LDR did what was expected, he is a manager the opponent isn't going to change that. His job is to get the ball into the playmakers hands. We didn't have any playmakers Saturday night.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our OL was one of the worst in Div 1 last year and wont be much better this year. That problem was caused by absolute shyt OL recruiting in 2009, 2010, and 2011.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1. I thought some of his worst throws were completions on short throws that location is crucial. He made those throws perfectly in Spring game. "Maybe the rain" is what I'm hoping.

2. I am impressed that he seems to know when to throw it away when there's nothing there.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
1. I thought some of his worst throws were completions on short throws that location is crucial. He made those throws perfectly in Spring game. "Maybe the rain" is what I'm hoping.

2. I am impressed that he seems to know when to throw it away when there's nothing there.

From where I sat it did seem the rain was affecting short throws. He didn't want to make mistakes, didn't zip them so they looked kinda like lobs.
Some of his incompletions were getting rid of the ball which is way better than forcing it. If the drops are caught, he looks way better.
I'm sure a big part of the game plan and calling was to give him success because we need him to have it going forward. Nothing happened to wreck his psyche right out of the gate, so that's good. We can build on this.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Our OL was one of the worst in Div 1 last year and wont be much better this year. That problem was caused by absolute shyt OL recruiting in 2009, 2010, and 2011.
2012, 2013, .... We are at least a year away from having a average line.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
2012, 2013, .... We are at least a year away from having a average line.

But we have 2 blue chippers on our O line that are 2nd team ALL SEC preseason and we have a young monster now that can be plugged in at RT. Some true freshman have proven they can play OL in the SEC. It sounds like a line that should be at least average on paper.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But we have 2 blue chippers on our O line that are 2nd team ALL SEC preseason and we have a young monster now that can be plugged in at RT. Some true freshman have proven they can play OL in the SEC. It sounds like a line that should be at least average on paper.

No one in the SEC should have guys in less than year three, much less year two on their starting offensive line in most cases. We won't have an average line until next year. Every now and then you get a kid that can start right away, but that is probably less than 1% of the kids coming in for the line. Especially if you have to depend on them at Tackle. We also still lack depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.