Luke Del Rio

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No one in the SEC should have guys in less than year three, much less year two on their starting offensive line in most cases. We won't have an average line until next year. Every now and then you get a kid that can start right away, but that is probably less than 1% of the kids coming in for the line. Especially if you have to depend on them at Tackle. We also still lack depth.

I agree depth is a huge issue if we get some injuries but still think if they would get their act together (Ivey knowing who to block etc.) this line should be average this year. Johnson at RT is a little scary against the speed rushers however. We will see I guess - maybe they just weren't up for UMass. No excuses for them this KY game.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I had to like this. Please don't think I don't like LDR, I really think he'll be OK, my frustration is that for 5 or 6 years we've had some decent players that could have flourished if we were just a little better in some areas.....I know Grier was a dumbass for what he did but there is no denying his overall skillset arms/legs would have benefited a offense that is sitting on the edge of being very good....Go Gators...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar said:
Just the facts, man. Now can he improve on that?
Proud of Brandon Powell's effectiveness and peak energy.
Powell & Callaway are in-the-groove, so let's add TEs & some newbie WRs and
most of all some slashing, bashing RBs. Got to thump UK.
--------------------------------------------
When did you start to make sense?

------------------------------------------------
Cut and paste, sir.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I dont know what you guys expected or why, but a 250 yards, 0 int game manager QB pretty much IS exactly what every Mac QB does.

I dont know where the Offensive Guru QB Whisperer Scoring Machine reputation came from on this board bc it surely isnt square with Mac's resume.

Im sure Mac wanted to score more vs Umass but we wont be seeing a gun slinger for 650 yards and 6 tds.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I dont know what you guys expected or why, but a 250 yards, 0 int game manager QB pretty much IS exactly what every Mac QB does.

I dont know where the Offensive Guru QB Whisperer Scoring Machine reputation came from on this board bc it surely isnt square with Mac's resume.

Im sure Mac wanted to score more but we wont be seeing a gun slinger for 650 yards and 6 tds.

Mac just had a QB put up 4000 yards and 32 TDs at his last stop with an average of over 14 yards a completion.

Mac also took McElroy to basically a 3000 yard 20 TD season averaging almost 14 yards a completion.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mac just had a QB put up 4000 yards and 32 TDs at his last stop with an average of over 14 yards a completion.

Mac also took McElroy to basically a 3000 yard 20 TD season averaging almost 14 yards a completion.
Ok, lets do the math. Mac had one single Qb in his last ten years who threw for 4000/13 games equals approximately 300 yards a game. You also mention MacElroy doing "basically" 3000 yards--snicker, so means less than 3000-- in a 15 game season. Now Im not a Rocket Surgeon but I think that means 200 a game. And I think those are the two best years. I will hang up and listen, but Im inclined to stick w 250 yards a game.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, lets do the math. Mac had one single Qb in his last ten years who threw for 4000/13 games equals approximately 300 yards a game. So, exactly what happened the other nine years? I will hang up and listen, but Im inclined to stick w 250 yards a game.

250 yards a game average is good and that 300+ a game average was a lot of passing yards. We only had 250 this first game because they threw it so many times ignoring the run game some. That would be about a 180 yard dink and dunk passing game if we had balance. Averaging around 14 yards a completion is getting the ball down the field and that is why people are upset - we didnt push the ball down the field much at all like Mac has done at other stops.

We averaged less than 9 yards a completion against UMass.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
250 yards a game is probably good to people who clapped when Driskell exploded for 70-110.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
250 yards a game is probably good to people who clapped when Driskell exploded for 90-110.

If you have balance 250 yards passing is a good number as long as it is getting the ball up the field but averaging under 9 yards a completion isn't too effective usually.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015

Im sure Mac wanted to score more but we wont be seeing a gun slinger for 650 yards and 6 tds.
It's because he also had guys like Coffey, Upchurch, Richardson, and Lacy who were churning down defenses for 60 minutes.

Made running to set up the pass a little easier.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you have balance 250 yards passing is a good number as long as it is getting the ball up the field but averaging under 9 yards a completion isn't too effective usually.
So you agree that we wont be seeing a gunslinger throw for 650 yards and 6 tds?

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our OL was one of the worst in Div 1 last year and wont be much better this year. That problem was caused by absolute shyt OL recruiting in 2009, 2010, and 2011.

I'm esp pissed at our seventh year seniors.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think people would have been happy with a "game manager" assuming we could run the effing football. Our running game was an absolute joke considering the competition. Scarlett getting 5 yards a carry was supposedly good? It should have been double that. Cook or Chubb or Fornette would have had 250 yards rushing on those chumps.

I'm not sugar coating anything anymore - it was an abysmal performance that has everyone worried, and rightfully so. I personally was disappointed in Del Rio and do not expect him to be starting all year.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If LDR is our best option to win, I can live with that. I just hope the Coaches have a firm game plan for UK.

Against Umass it seemed like our game plan was either non existent or someone tried to be too cute, too soon.

4th Quarter was better all the way around.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
I

4th Quarter was better all the way around.

But was it better because:
(1) the players became more focused,
(2) the coaches made adjustments, or
(3) we finally managed to out-depth UMass, and they got tired
?

The concern has to be that a lot of it was #3 ... because that ain't happening against any SEC opponents or FSU.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
So no one is giving ANY credit whatsoever to the opponent? From section 10 it looked like UMASS was playing like it was their bowl game, Hell it probably was to them. The OL held their own, QB was on fire, Hit the open guy most of the time... And the RB #8 (IIRC) was hard to put down. Defensively they seemed to have some pretty decent players.

In my eyes they opened up their bag of tricks while we were in vanilla mode, I believe all the different looks we got both offensively and defensively will pay off in the film room.

Then again I could be wrong.... Been before.... Many times

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.