Luke Del Rio

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think people would have been happy with a "game manager" assuming we could run the effing football. Our running game was an absolute joke considering the competition. Scarlett getting 5 yards a carry was supposedly good?
You could throw me into this category. Part of the problem with the running game though had to do with the play calling. Other than the token 1st play long pass nobody in that stadium or watching on TV thought we were going to throw many passes more than 10 yards down the field...as a result and like the past 6 years the defense was pretty much within 5-8 yards of the los.....We've seen the results of this in the last few years, not good. This offense needs to be able to hit a few passes in the 15 yard plus range in order to be able to effectively run the football imo.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So no one is giving ANY credit whatsoever to the opponent? From section 10 it looked like UMASS was playing like it was their bowl game.... Many times
From my couch it looked like we was playing like it was our bowl game too

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This UK game stands as our 2016 Gator audition gang. Does HC McEllwain
actually want to get into show-bussiness ? If he's somewhat wise, Mac will
overwork Gator RBs - especially Thompson and Scarlett. Let them, the whole
OL know that UK is their audition. Once the UK stacks for the run, lean on the
our TEs, especially Lewis who is good with breakaway YACs. Next, hit the
deep shots to Callaway & Powell ... hey, that's a real Offense right there.??

In truth, I'd most like to see a top SEC Defense just smother UK. Grow Gators.

Last edited:

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I'm fine with 250 passing yards/game as long as we run for 200+ yards/game and minimize the turnovers. This with a steady swag chalice defense should equate to success.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You could throw me into this category. Part of the problem with the running game though had to do with the play calling. Other than the token 1st play long pass nobody in that stadium or watching on TV thought we were going to throw many passes more than 10 yards down the field...as a result and like the past 6 years the defense was pretty much within 5-8 yards of the los.....We've seen the results of this in the last few years, not good. This offense needs to be able to hit a few passes in the 15 yard plus range in order to be able to effectively run the football imo.

It looked like on a lot of those plays in the first half they were just playing standard defense but with some of the the DBs playing press coverage on our receivers out wide. They weren't really selling out to stop the run that much.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So no one is giving ANY credit whatsoever to the opponent? From section 10 it looked like UMASS was playing like it was their bowl game, Hell it probably was to them. The OL held their own, QB was on fire, Hit the open guy most of the time... And the RB #8 (IIRC) was hard to put down. Defensively they seemed to have some pretty decent players.

In my eyes they opened up their bag of tricks while we were in vanilla mode, I believe all the different looks we got both offensively and defensively will pay off in the film room.

Then again I could be wrong.... Been before.... Many times

No... I'm not giving any credit to a team so bad they weren't invited back to their low level conference. This was their bowl game... they don't know what a bowl game is!

I won't be surprised if the Boston College Fighting Addazios beat UMASS worse than we did this week.

That performance last week was horrible. For the first time I am worried about Mac being successful as a HC because of that game. If your team comes out flat in the first game of the year after the way we ended last year... there is an issue!

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
deep shots to Callaway & Lewis ... hey, that's a real Offense right there.??

Please for the love of god...You and some others need to drop Thompson and realize our two best backs are Cronk and Scarlett

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
deep shots to Callaway & Lewis ... hey, that's a real Offense right there.??

I agree with every word of this

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
No... I'm not giving any credit to a team so bad they weren't invited back to their low level conference. This was their bowl game... they don't know what a bowl game is!

I won't be surprised if the Boston College Fighting Addazios beat UMASS worse than we did this week.

That performance last week was horrible. For the first time I am worried about Mac being successful as a HC because of that game. If your team comes out flat in the first game of the year after the way we ended last year... there is an issue!
BCs offense is about 10 times more offensive than ours. If you can believe that

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
BCs offense is about 10 times more offensive than ours. If you can believe that

Yeah... they are bad. I heard on the radio that if he loses this game is very much on the hot seat. Go UMASS!

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I am a :pumper:Pumper and I am proud of it. However here are the facts. We are better off with LDR as our QB than we have been in a long time. Is the 300 yards a game 5 TD and no INT QB that we all want? Maybe not. We all know our biggest issue is the OL, and I trust this coaching staff to get it fixed more than the last coaching staff. LDR is technically only a Sophomore, so I am judging him as such. He will make some mistakes, but I also believe that he will make great strides and improve his game play.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So no one is giving ANY credit whatsoever to the opponent?
Yeah, sure. They wouldnt be a good 1aa team but I think theyd be pretty competitive in Div 2 or 3.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Please for the love of god...You and some others need to drop Thompson and realize our two best backs are Cronk and Scarlett

Couldn't agree more. I don't think we can have 3 equal rep backs and develop any type of rhythm. So someone has to sit until mop up time, and that person, based on the camp reports and what I saw Saturday night, is Thompson. I thought both Jordans were clearly better and more explosive and should be the feature of our offense.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Couldn't agree more. I don't think we can have 3 equal rep backs and develop any type of rhythm. So someone has to sit until mop up time, and that person, based on the camp reports and what I saw Saturday night, is Thompson. I thought both Jordans were clearly better and more explosive and should be the feature of our offense.

I said it before the start of the season; I don't look for Thompson to be anything other than a short yardage back as he lacks explosive ability and has hands of stone. JUCO players will give you JUCO results; for every good one there are a hundred failures.

You guys say you want a big bruising back; well Scarlett is your guy but he also adds in the element of speed. Cronk has a good burst and is good for 5+ yard carries but he won't break many tackles nor long runs...

We need to feed Scarlett and use Cronk to spell him. Stop with this rotation that clearly hurt our guys.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am a :pumper:Pumper and I am proud of it. However here are the facts. We are better off with LDR as our QB than we have been in a long time. Is the 300 yards a game 5 TD and no INT QB that we all want? Maybe not. We all know our biggest issue is the OL, and I trust this coaching staff to get it fixed more than the last coaching staff. LDR is technically only a Sophomore, so I am judging him as such. He will make some mistakes, but I also believe that he will make great strides and improve his game play.

I see no reason to believe we are better with him than we would have been if Grier didn't take PEDs..., of course... we don't have that option and I do think Del Rio is the best we have, but I expected him to play better last week. Hopefully he will improve against UK.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cronk has good hands and he hits the hole. I think he should get the most reps.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I see no reason to believe we are better with him than we would have been if Grier didn't take PEDs..., of course... we don't have that option and I do think Del Rio is the best we have, but I expected him to play better last week. Hopefully he will improve against UK.
The biggest improvement a team and individual makes is from week 1 to week 2. As I said I am a :pumper:Pumper, and I am hoping this is true. But I am also a realist and if I see his play looking like Harris's last year I will be quick to call him out. I just didn't see any of that against UMASS. I saw poor play calling, dropped balls, poor OL play (right side), and the only fault I saw from LDR was that he was quick to check down.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The biggest improvement a team and individual makes is from week 1 to week 2. As I said I am a :pumper:Pumper, and I am hoping this is true. But I am also a realist and if I see his play looking like Harris's last year I will be quick to call him out. I just didn't see any of that against UMASS. I saw poor play calling, dropped balls, poor OL play (right side), and the only fault I saw from LDR was that he was quick to check down.

That is fair. I hope to see some improvement and I agree that he did not get a lot of support. I really hope to see some improvement and I think we will see a better offense Saturday. He did throw two nice passes over the middle last week and I would like to see more of that to open up the game some.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I'd rather him check down than take a sack or throw a pick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.