Manning's overinflated legacy

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n145650 said:
Wow! No QB in NFL history has ever done what Manning did when in Indy. Tom Moore said Manning was basically the on-field OC as he left the playcalling up to Manning. Moore said he only made suggestions in packages of 25-50 plays. On top of that he made the line calls. John Elway under Shanahan was given that responsibility but gave it back after a year. He said he couldn't handle it. There is no quarterback that is as smart as Manning on the field. What Manning is doing now Marino couldn't do. Manning has lost a good bit of velocity on his pass but he is still playing at a high level. He has to read and anticipate better than he ever has because the ball is arriving later. He is truly underappreciated. As far as his playoff record, there were very few times when he had the superior team and lost. Most of the time he lost because the other team was simply better and more talented.

Montana is still the greatest QB in NFL history. Not even close.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
T REX;n145651 said:
Montana is still the greatest QB in NFL history. Not even close.

Montana never did what Manning did on the field. That isn't debatable. That is history.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n145652 said:
Montana never did what Manning did on the field. That isn't debatable. That is history.

And Manning has never done what Montana did on the field.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n145652 said:

Montana has never lost two Super Bowls, you are correct sir.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n145652 said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to argue. I found this gem in one google search:

"Joe Montana is widely considered to be the greatest quarterback of all time. He was undefeated in the Super Bowl and remains the only three-time Super Bowl Most Valuable Player. More importantly, Joe Montana was perfect in the biggest football game of the season.
In four Super Bowl appearances, Montana completed 86 out of 122 passes for 1,142 yards to go along with 11 touchdown passes and zero interceptions for a Super Bowl quarterback rating of 127.8. Montana also added two rushing touchdowns to his already amazing stat line. "

Please sir, stay down before you get hurt.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well here's something Manning hadn't got! All those. Manning may have more stats but..........

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Alvie must be having to stand in line longer today at the soup kitchen. He'll be here to sack swingin' for Pety soon enough.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Someone needs to complete a study on the most TD passes of less than 4 yards in NFL history because there's NO DOUBT in my mind Manning has by far the most. Why do I bring this up? Because for years, Peyton has been a stats padder. He throws constantly on 1st and goal from inside the five, even on the 1, 2, 3 yard line, often times clearly checking to a pass. He also, for years, has played deep into the 4th quarter, and continues to throw, with big leads.

He's a great QB, I get that, but he has always inflated his stats.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n145617 said:
I will never understand the PM hate. We beat him in college. He has amazing stats in the pros. It was not his fault they took him over TT.
He did get that SuperBowl ring. I remember when Marino was the greatest QB statistically and very few complained about his lack of hardware.
It almost like some obsession with him. I think it is all about yanking some Vol chain. But if it floats your boat go for it. Mr Peanut head is laughing all the way to the off shore bank.
I'll never understand how you got wound so tight. You're too old to be this way, man.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n145794 said:
Someone needs to complete a study on the most TD passes of less than 4 yards in NFL history because there's NO DOUBT in my mind Manning has by far the most. Why do I bring this up? Because for years, Peyton has been a stats padder. He throws constantly on 1st and goal from inside the five, even on the 1, 2, 3 yard line, often times clearly checking to a pass. He also, for years, has played deep into the 4th quarter, and continues to throw, with big leads.

He's a great QB, I get that, but he has always inflated his stats.

Exactly. To have had the talent around him all these years and to only have 1 SB Ring...........Absolutely has done less with more.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This thread debate that has devolved into a Montana vs. Manning is golden. Montana not having thrown an interception in FOUR SB's is the stat that is jaw dropping. Not even Bradshaw, who was in four himself could claim that one. Manning's star will fade over time because he's a choker which is a word not even in Montana's vocabulary. Padded stats or not he's a HOF'er for sure but a denizen for a 'greatest ever discussion?' Not even in the ball park. Manning will be a head coach someday and he may shine there and get his bona fides for NFL greatness. But throwing sideline 3 yards or less lob completions 15 to 20 times a game isn't going to do it. I never gave the guy much thought actually because Danny Wuerffel pretty much bitch slapped Manning led teams like a red headed step child and eventually left him being 0 for Florida. Who cared after that? Manning is a yawn and his noodle arm [as someone has already pointed out] isn't going to lead them anywhere. I will forever hate Denver for giving on up Tebow and grasping for a loser like Manning. Under the right coach I still believe Tebow had promise for them while Manning is a highway of broken dreams. Every game Denver loses an gives me great satisfaction and will for years to come. .

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
PaulDrake;n145866 said:
This thread debate that has devolved into a Montana vs. Manning is golden. Montana not having thrown an interception in FOUR SB's is the stat that is jaw dropping. Not even Bradshaw, who was in four himself could claim that one. Manning's star will fade over time because he's a choker which is a word not even in Montana's vocabulary. Padded stats or not he's a HOF'er for sure but a denizen for a 'greatest ever discussion?' Not even in the ball park. Manning will be a head coach someday and he may shine there and get his bona fides for NFL greatness. But throwing sideline 3 yards or less lob completions 15 to 20 times a game isn't going to do it. I never gave the guy much thought actually because Danny Wuerffel pretty much bitch slapped Manning led teams like a red headed step child and eventually left him being 0 for Florida. Who cared after that? Manning is a yawn and his noodle arm [as someone has already pointed out] isn't going to lead them anywhere. I will forever hate Denver for giving on up Tebow and grasping for a loser like Manning. Under the right coach I still believe Tebow had promise for them while Manning is a highway of broken dreams. Every game Denver loses an gives me great satisfaction and will for years to come. .

:clap::clap:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
oxrageous;n145806 said:
I'll never understand how you got wound so tight. You're too old to be this way, man.
Why does that post make me look wound tight. Im not the one all pissed off that PM gets too much love from those that like the NFL. I could care less but it seems lots of gator fans are obsessed by Archie's boy. I dont see the reason for all the hate and stuff. We all know Danny was the winner in the college sweepstakes each time they met.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n145913 said:
Why does that post make me look wound tight. Im not the one all pissed off that PM gets too much love from those that like the NFL. I could care less but it seems lots of gator fans are obsessed by Archie's boy. I dont see the reason for all the hate and stuff. We all know Danny was the winner in the college sweepstakes each time they met.
You really don't see a reason for the hate? Maybe it's because the sports media has made us eat Peyton's (censored) since he was in freaking HIGH SCHOOL. And despite more than two decades of hard evidence, they STILL can't admit the simple fact that he's a loser.

I just desperately want him to retire.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If the guy was not Archie's kid it would be a totally different story. You want reality. If PM is so damned awesome how come Eli has more rings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator